Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 01:09 AM - 11 Likes   #1

K1 shoot first report and pics

I was due to shoot a model yesterday morning in some local bluebell woods but the shoot fell through so I ended up taking my daughter there as a stand-in for a bit of K1 testing! She does quite a bit of singing/drama and enjoys being a model for me although I think she may have learned the pouty expression thing a bit too well from some of the models I have worked with in my studio at home LOL!

The interesting thing is that having shot the pics I found myself not particularly inclined to do very much at all in post processing. One thing I had noticed with the 645Z pictures I have seen is that there's almost a mutedness to the colours and at first I wasn't sure I liked that aspect to the 645Z signature. The K1 has the same presentation and in that respect the K3 I used before is quite different. To put it in hi-fi terms the K3 was like a car stereo or home hi-fi with a bit of boom and tizz to add colour to the proceedings. The 645Z and the K1 are like standing in a concert hall with the Royal Philarmonic Orchestra playing. The sound is smooth, mellow, has vast dynamic range and directness but it doesn't accentuate any one element. Everything is there but it doesn't shout at you and the palette has more subtle gradations of light and shade.

One other thing that struck me and created quite an impression is that when I click on an image in lightroom and zoom in on say the eyes, on the K3 you would start to see grain (24 megapixels APSC) but on the K1 (36 megapixels full frame) you click on the image to zoom in and you're astounded by the clarity of the eyes because there is absolutely no grain visible at all shooting at ISO 100 - even on my 4k 27" monitor. I actually feel that this is a gargantuan step up in imaging quality to a degree I never expected - I'm genuinely shocked by it and I really do think it will change the way I perceive a scene in my mind and take photographs once I'm familiar with it. It is an extraordinary camera and I for one have never owned anything like it. I feel as if it's a creation that demands no compromise in lenses and am somewhat relieved that I didn't try to 'make do' with any modest lenses and am using the new Pentax DF-A 24-70mm F2.8 and Pentax D-FA 77mm F1.8 limited for portraiture.

The more I shoot with the K1, the more I am in awe of its capabilities. The clarity of these pictures at full quality on a 4k monitor is just breathtaking, my wife while reviewing the pictures this evening discovered a new birthmark on my daughter's face that she had never noticed before!! Notice too the subtle gradations of shadow and the camera's ability to reveal photon's falling at an almost atomic level. Consider the bokeh evident in the shots with the new 24-70mm F2.8 and 77mm Limited. On one of the pictures the trees in the background take on a dreamlike quality that I simply do not recall having seen on any of my previous pictures shot with five different cameras over thirty five years.

This is am imaging engine par-excellance, it isn't just too good for me - it's too good for Arbus, Avedon, Bailey and Bresson too...

Much more to follow, for now enjoy. I have set up a K1 gallery on my website here: Jonathan Gorse Photography | Pentax K1 test shots and intend to upload my early K1 shots to it.

Jonlg
Jonathan Gorse Photography

Last edited by jonlg; 05-01-2016 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Updated pic
05-01-2016, 01:35 AM   #2

Original Poster
Oops

Thanks Michaelina - all amended now!! Glad you like them...

Jonlg
05-01-2016, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great to hear individual perspectives from different types of shooters - really enjoyed reading that - now, where was that plan for getting the money together...? ;D
05-01-2016, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
Jonlg great work! love the images and the bluebells!

05-01-2016, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

For those of us stuck in aps-c world for such a long time I'm sure the sudden jump up to FF will come as a kind of revelation, as you clearly are experiencing! We may have been in a denial state and been downplaying the differences perhaps .... But that will all change now that we can legitimise our enthusiasm.

Lucky you had a stand-in model and it was a good shootout with the new camera. I don't think the resolution aspects of the new sensor come over much on the web, but the wider DR and tonal gradations you refer to are apparent in the background, with a softer contrast range in the shadows and more tonal levels visible. It all bodes very well!
05-01-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inspiring shots, Jonig! It's going to be hard sticking to my plan of waiting a few months to get my own K-1.
05-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eEllo,

please look pictures here:

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Die K1 ist da!
and here
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR

It is in German, but the pics talk fro themselves.

Best
Georg

05-01-2016, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

Thanks for posting your first impressions Jon, and the wonderful shots. It's very interesting to hear the thoughts / feelings of someone stepping up from asp-c (as I'll be in the same boat).

By the sound of things our incessant lusting over a Pentax FF was entirely justified, and the team at Ricoh/Pentax have delivered yet another wonderful photographer's tool.

I'm interested in hearing more from you regarding your 'step up' from the K-3. Although, my bank account is counseling against reading any more!!!
05-01-2016, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geko5766 Quote
eEllo,

please look pictures here:

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Die K1 ist da!
and here
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR

It is in German, but the pics talk fro themselves.

Best
Georg
Georg, it might be better to post your links in the general K-1 photos thread, rather than here.
05-01-2016, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #10

Jonig - thanks so much for posting those, and for your impressions of the camera. Just... a... few... more... days...
05-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #11

Original Poster
Ha-ha I know how it feels Houston Bob - I lived on these forums when I was waiting for the K1 but it will be worth the wait - trust me on that!!

jonlg
05-02-2016, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #12

Just wanted to say that I've been finding the K-1 quite impressive, but I was missing those photos that really convinced me. These photos really show what I needed to be convinced that the
camera was for me. Thank you!
05-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks aikilink

Thanks for the enormous compliment - I've got a model shoot in studio on Wed so we'll see what comes of that!

Enjoy your K1 when you order it - and you will!

Jonathan
05-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #14

You are very welcome! Thank you for your well-put thoughts on the K-1, and even more-so for the images! I'll keep an eye on your website, and look forward to seeing more!

Oh, definitely planning on getting one now! My wife says we will also, she's just not letting me get one Now!