Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
No, it doesn't have in body stabilisation. The sensor was too large to make it feasible at the time it was designed.
OOps !!

05-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If SR = On is enabled in Menu (or INFO Screen).
The SR Mechanism is still active keeping the sensor locked & centered even if it's not set/enabled to counter-act body shake. So it should not flop around when the camera is powered up.
05-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The SR Mechanism is still active keeping the sensor locked & centered even if it's not set/enabled to counter-act body shake. So it should not flop around when the camera is powered up.
i understand now.
05-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure? This is literally the first camera where this is the case then. My K-5II only stabilizes the sensor when half-pressing.

05-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You have misunderstood what I have written. Please read again
05-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You have misunderstood what I have written. Please read again
You sure? I know that the sensor is still held in place while shooting even though the SR is set to off, but this only happens at half-press AFAIK.
05-01-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
I noticed something is moving inside my K-1 when moved side to side. Is it the sensor housing? Can anyone else confirm this is normal / the same with yours?

Thanks
Pretty sure it's broken. Why don't you send it to me so I can check it our for you?

05-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #23

Original Poster
Guys something is sliding from left to right internally it does not require any force just a simple tilt. I notice when I lift the camera from my bag at an angle also. It happens wether on or off with SR on or off to. Something physically is moving with what sounds like no dampening either. So if I turn the camera to shoot portrait something slides based upon gravity. This is very strange for such an apparently rugged camera. I will speak to my dealer who has himself purchased one.
05-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

K3 does it when turned off or on and when shutter button half pressed and the green hexagon lit - just tested it. Hope no damage done to the sensor structure. ;(
05-02-2016, 01:05 AM   #25

Original Poster
Update!

So I guess all the veteran Pentax users are laughing at this post but it seriously freaked me out as I'm not used to hearing this type of movement inside a camera. I guess I associate movement with wear and tear, but hey I guess the Pentax engineers know what theyre doing.

SO yes... half pressing the shutter seems to stop the movement.
05-02-2016, 01:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The sensor can move around freely and make clunking noises as long as the shutter is closed. So half press doesn’t stop it. The camera doesn’t waste power to hold the sensor firmly in place if the shutter is closed, and that is the way it has been since the K10d.

It will ONLY be in held in place and fully controlled when and if the shutter curtain is open, (and a few ms before it opens). Or possible it is when the mirror is up, as in mirror lock up mode.

So if you enable live view, the sensor is “locked” in place and the camera will not clunk if you tilt it.

You will learn to ignore it.
05-02-2016, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So half press doesn’t stop it.
I'm done here. Everyone, enjoy generations of Pentaxians finding this thread and getting confused for eternity.
05-02-2016, 01:40 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I'm done here. Everyone, enjoy generations of Pentaxians finding this thread and getting confused for eternity.

LOL indeed! half pressing DOES STOP IT on my copy of K-1 at least.

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 01:44 AM ----------

Yes Pentax should have a note in the box explaining this phenomenon as some states here. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/83746-k-x-someth...reduction.html

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 01:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The sensor can move around freely and make clunking noises as long as the shutter is closed. So half press doesn’t stop it. The camera doesn’t waste power to hold the sensor firmly in place if the shutter is closed, and that is the way it has been since the K10d.

It will ONLY be in held in place and fully controlled when and if the shutter curtain is open, (and a few ms before it opens). Or possible it is when the mirror is up, as in mirror lock up mode.

So if you enable live view, the sensor is “locked” in place and the camera will not clunk if you tilt it.

You will learn to ignore it.
Yes live view also stops it.
05-02-2016, 01:58 AM   #29
Forum Member

I can confirm, mine does the same until half press..

More worrying is what happens under transportation on bumpy journeys, I carry my video kit on the back of a kite buggy at times and some of the beaches can have a good ripple on them that can create vibrations that could rattle you teeth out at times, I would hate to think what this could do the the sensor mounts.
05-02-2016, 02:03 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
LOL indeed! half pressing DOES STOP IT on my copy of K-1 at least.

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 01:44 AM ----------

Yes Pentax should have a note in the box explaining this phenomenon as some states here. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/83746-k-x-someth...reduction.html
Really? Are you really sure?
That would be a new behavior for Pentax and I seriously doubt it, as it would waste power holding the sensor in place even though there is no light hitting it. It could however be something new they found necessary due to the heavier sensor compared to APS-C and the jolt involved when moving the sensor right before the curtains open. But that is pure speculating.

So you are saying that if you half press, the sensor is lifted and held in place. And then if you stop pressing the button, the sensor audibly fall down again making a clunking noise when it drops to its lower position?

Can you also here a buzzing noise when you half press, indicating that the SR mechanism is actually active? (Compare with live view)