Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I just had to smile.....

05-02-2016, 02:13 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Really? Are you really sure?
That would be a new behavior for Pentax and I seriously doubt it, as it would waste power holding the sensor in place even though there is no light hitting it. It could however be something new they found necessary due to the heavier sensor compared to APS-C and the jolt involved when moving the sensor right before the curtains open. But that is pure speculating.

So you are saying that if you half press, the sensor is lifted and held in place. And then if you stop pressing the button, the sensor audibly fall down again making a clunking noise when it drops to its lower position?

Can you also here a buzzing noise when you half press, indicating that the SR mechanism is actually active? (Compare with live view)
Holding the camera in my hand and moving from say portrait to landscape you can hear the sensor mount or whatever sliding towards the side you tilt it. As I said very worrying to someone new to Pentax if fact it maybe be new to everyone because as you said a bigger sensor requires bigger mounts therefore bigger noise. As someone said knowing that simply removing the camera from the bag each time I pick it up slightly concerns me, surely that is causing wear and tear on something? To clarify something is sliding that comes to a stop with an audible clunk yes, doing the above movements with the shutter half pressed stops the movement and therefore the clunk.
05-02-2016, 02:22 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Really? Are you really sure?
That would be a new behavior for Pentax and I seriously doubt it, as it would waste power holding the sensor in place even though there is no light hitting it. It could however be something new they found necessary due to the heavier sensor compared to APS-C and the jolt involved when moving the sensor right before the curtains open. But that is pure speculating.

So you are saying that if you half press, the sensor is lifted and held in place. And then if you stop pressing the button, the sensor audibly fall down again making a clunking noise when it drops to its lower position?

Can you also here a buzzing noise when you half press, indicating that the SR mechanism is actually active? (Compare with live view)
The same happens on my K-5II. The sensor needs a moment to "boot up" so to speak, so as soon as you half press it gets moved into the correct position - it can't really do that in the split second it takes for the shutter to open, it needs to be countering shake before that to be effective.
05-02-2016, 02:31 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Holding the camera in my hand and moving from say portrait to landscape you can hear the sensor mount or whatever sliding towards the side you tilt it. As I said very worrying to someone new to Pentax if fact it maybe be new to everyone because as you said a bigger sensor requires bigger mounts therefore bigger noise. As someone said knowing that simply removing the camera from the bag each time I pick it up slightly concerns me, surely that is causing wear and tear on something? To clarify something is sliding that comes to a stop with an audible clunk yes, doing the above movements with the shutter half pressed stops the movement and therefore the clunk.
I understand your concern, I had the same thoughts when I bought my first Pentax (the K10d). Here I had this supposedly rugged camera, and it felt like something was broken inside from the very first day. But as proven by thousands of Pentax bodies since 2006 the sliding sensor is not a problem.

It only moves a few mm, even though it feels as it moves a lot more than that.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 11:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The same happens on my K-5II. The sensor needs a moment to "boot up" so to speak, so as soon as you half press it gets moved into the correct position - it can't really do that in the split second it takes for the shutter to open, it needs to be countering shake before that to be effective.
Actually I don’t think is does need more than a few ms to move into place, since you can press the shutter button fully without half pressing and the sensor is lifted into position and the picture is taken without delay (well, there is always a delay, but you know what I mean). You just don’t get shake reduction if you fully press immediately.

05-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guys something is sliding from left to right internally it does not require any force just a simple tilt. I notice when I lift the camera from my bag at an angle also. It happens wether on or off with SR on or off to. Something physically is moving with what sounds like no dampening either. So if I turn the camera to shoot portrait something slides based upon gravity. This is very strange for such an apparently rugged camera. I will speak to my dealer who has himself purchased one.
Same here, but it is normal, and nothing to worry about (my k-3, k-5 also do this). It's just SR, as previously mentioned.
05-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Actually I don’t think is does need more than a few ms to move into place, since you can press the shutter button fully without half pressing and the sensor is lifted into position and the picture is taken without delay (well, there is always a delay, but you know what I mean). You just don’t get shake reduction if you fully press immediately.
Well yes that's what I was trying to say, sorry if I didn't clarify - it needs a moment to center and then a bit more to stabilize. It will, however, stay centered/stabilized for as long as you half-press, even if you never take a picture.
05-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Well yes that's what I was trying to say, sorry if I didn't clarify - it needs a moment to center and then a bit more to stabilize. It will, however, stay centered/stabilized for as long as you half-press, even if you never take a picture.
Yes, but that moment is so short that it can be done while the mirror flips up. At least on the K10d and the K5, I don’t have a K1 so I can’t be really sure until I test it myself.

The time needed for the SR to work during half press is not related to lifting and positioning the sensor, but for sampling the frequency and amplitude with which the camera shakes. As far as I know, that is.

05-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Some lenses with VR/OIS etc often make a similar knocking racket. Comes with many forms of shake reduction.

Over the years the Pentax SR has become much quieter - K-3 SR is much less noisy than K-x 'paint-shaker' SR, for example.
05-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes, but that moment is so short that it can be done while the mirror flips up. At least on the K10d and the K5, I don’t have a K1 so I can’t be really sure until I test it myself.

The time needed for the SR to work during half press is not related to lifting and positioning the sensor, but for sampling the frequency and amplitude with which the camera shakes. As far as I know, that is.
Make a note of when the SR "hand" in the viewfinder appears after shutter half-press. It generally takes < .5 sec to appear on my K-5IIs. When the hand is lit, it means SR is active and is responding to camera movement. Make a large camera movement while maintaining shutter half-press and the hand disappears for an instant until SR has stabilized again. SR is activated that entire time, beginning upon shutter half-press. Was the same on my K200D.
05-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Make a note of when the SR "hand" in the viewfinder appears after shutter half-press. It generally takes < .5 sec to appear on my K-5IIs. When the hand is lit, it means SR is active and is responding to camera movement. Make a large camera movement while maintaining shutter half-press and the hand disappears for an instant until SR has stabilized again. SR is activated that entire time, beginning upon shutter half-press. Was the same on my K200D.
Yes, the built in SR computer is actively monitoring the shake while you half-press, ready to activate the voice coil type motors lifting the sensor as soon as you fully press the shutter. But until you fully press the shutter button the sensor itself is still lose.
05-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed something is moving inside my K-1 when moved side to side. Can anyone else confirm this is normal / the same with yours?
It could be the free candy surprise hidden inside every 10th camera. It's sort of like a Cracker Jack surprise, or the free toys they used to put in your Capn Crunch in the olden days. You could be a winner! Let us know what you find after you tear it open and find out.
05-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yes, the built in SR computer is actively monitoring the shake while you half-press, ready to activate the voice coil type motors lifting the sensor as soon as you fully press the shutter. But until you fully press the shutter button the sensor itself is still lose.
Interesting. Thanks.
05-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #43
Veteran Member

But that's not true... Have you ever used a Pentax with SR?
05-03-2016, 02:12 AM   #44
Pentaxian

But that's not true... Have you ever used a Pentax with SR?
I started with the K10d when it’s was brand new, so yes I have used them.
And I have read every patent I have found about the SR.

And I double checked yesterday that the sensor is still loose when half pressing the shutter button, and it is. This was with the original K-5.
There is no doubt about it, the sensor slides around freely even when the shutter button is half pressed.

Have you checked your camera?
05-03-2016, 04:55 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I started with the K10d when it’s was brand new, so yes I have used them.
And I have read every patent I have found about the SR.

And I double checked yesterday that the sensor is still loose when half pressing the shutter button, and it is. This was with the original K-5.
There is no doubt about it, the sensor slides around freely even when the shutter button is half pressed.

Have you checked your camera?
I have a K-5II and it does that. Maybe they changed the behaviour from the classic to the II? Then again, mine had the sensor assembly replaced a while ago due to a SR error, so maybe it's that? Strange.