Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I have a K-5II and it does that. Maybe they changed the behaviour from the classic to the II? Then again, mine had the sensor assembly replaced a while ago due to a SR error, so maybe it's that? Strange.
That IS weird, can you actually hear the SR mechanism work while you half-press the shutter button?

05-03-2016, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have K-5 and K-1.

I can confirm that my K-5 does NOT activate sensor motion with half-press, and only indicates the SR 'hand' about 0.5 sec after half-pressing the shutter release.

The K-1 shows the SR 'hand' at power up, then activates sensor motion with half-press that continues until about 0.5 sec after un-pressing the shutter release.

The 'loose ball bearing' sound of the unpowered camera is much greater with the K-1; though hardly surprising given the much larger sensor assembly.

I presume the K-1 behavior gives faster response. The back AF button also activates the sensor motion.
05-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Interesting.

That means half-pressing on a K-1 will draw a lot more current from the battery than half pressing does on a K-5. Not really a good development from a power preserving point of view, but I guess they have their reasons.
05-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That IS weird, can you actually hear the SR mechanism work while you half-press the shutter button?
Yep. I'll try to double-check with someone here. But as the K-1 does this, maybe it was introduced at some point?

05-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I'm new to Pentax, admission made. I just pulled my camera out of the packaging for the first time, moved it around a bit and...clunk, clunk. I was like, holy xxxx, my camera's broke. I'm really glad to have found this forum, I'm a happy camper again🤓.

Last edited by m144k; 05-07-2016 at 11:54 AM.
05-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Interesting.

That means half-pressing on a K-1 will draw a lot more current from the battery than half pressing does on a K-5. Not really a good development from a power preserving point of view, but I guess they have their reasons.
Conjecture: Moving the sensor into position before shutter press instead of after was done to meet more demanding design criteria on the K-1. Namely, a reduced shutter lag time* and increasing SR effectiveness from 4 to 5 stops. And doing so with a sensor assembly of ~ twice the mass.

* There is a PF post where someone measured K-5 shutter lag to ~ 0.1 sec. Imaging Resource, I think, lists the K-1 shutter lag at < 0.05 sec.
05-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m144k Quote
Ok, I'm new to Pentax, admission made. I just pulled my camera out of the packaging for the first time, moved it around a bit and...clunk, clunk. I was like, holy xxxx, my camera's broke. I'm really glad to have found this forum, I'm a happy camper again🤓.
Er, just remember the two clips for the strap do slap against the body as well ... something to bear in mind. ☺

05-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Er, just remember the two clips for the strap do slap against the body as well ... something to bear in mind. ☺
Not if you use the leather-ish pads

05-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Not if you use the leather-ish pads
Yeah, I'm just saying that sound may not be the sensor rattling!