Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

How to do a better manual focus in K1

Hi all, i got my K1 yesterday and tried my old SMC 55 MF lens. It is very good but to me it is hard to do the manual focus in the OVF. May I please seek u guys advice ? Thanks in advance.

05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

You can use live view, and make sure to turn ON the focus peaking in the menus. You will see the things in focus highlighted in white
05-03-2016, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Conventional wisdom is that additional magnification may help. The favorite on this site has been the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece. I have not personally used it, so cannot give a strong recommendation. Until such time as alternative focus screens with focus aides become available, this is the best solution at present for the optical viewfinder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469574-REG/Pentax_30150_O_ME53_Magnifying_Eyecup.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-magnifier-eyecup-o-me53.html

Steve
05-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Hi all, i got my K1 yesterday and tried my old SMC 55 MF lens. It is very good but to me it is hard to do the manual focus in the OVF. May I please seek u guys advice ? Thanks in advance.
Live view magnification is the way to go for precise manual focus.

You can also use AF confirmation through the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2016, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Use the focus assist. When the green polygon shows up on the viewfinder and remains steady, shoot!
05-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Use the focus assist. When the green polygon shows up on the viewfinder and remains steady, shoot!
I haven't checked with non A series lenses, but with non AF A series, when focus is achieved a red flash can be seen for a moment in the viewfinder and the center spot turns bold.
I don't recall the setting, but it seems to work well.
05-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

With the OVF, using the 'Catch in focus' mode is another option. For example; when this mode is set the shutter release button is pressed and held, while the focus to the lens is rotated, then when the subject comes into focus at the user specified AF sensor (e.g. center sensor) the camera will automatically actuate the shutter.

05-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Conventional wisdom is that additional magnification may help. The favorite on this site has been the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece. I have not personally used it, so cannot give a strong recommendation. Until such time as alternative focus screens with focus aides become available, this is the best solution at present for the optical viewfinder.

Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup 30150 B&H Photo Video

PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
I moved my O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece from the K-3 to the K-1. Works fine!
05-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
With the OVF, using the 'Catch in focus' mode is another option. For example; when this mode is set the shutter release button is pressed and held, while the focus to the lens is rotated, then when the subject comes into focus at the user specified AF sensor (e.g. center sensor) the camera will automatically actuate the shutter.
These two methods both use the PDAF system and are equivalent in regards to ability to detect an out of focus condition with catch-in-focus being somewhat less effective for real world use. When used with the center column focus points and a lens f/2.8 or faster both are about a stop better than the optical viewfinder with stock screen on the K-3. On the K-1, I am not sure which, PDAF vs. optical focus, is more effective (better focus sensitivity).

Probably the best approach is to do comparative tests with a non-ambiguous subject* tallying the number of successful (acceptably sharp) focus attempts out of 20 for each method.

Steve

* Typically a lens resolution test target mounted on a flat surface parallel to the camera sensor at about 20x - 40x the lens focal length. The aim is to make it as easy as possible to attain focus with the least number of uncontrolled variables.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-03-2016 at 09:02 PM.
05-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all, i may consider to buy the magnifying eyepiece. I tried LV but cannot enlarge the focus area, a bit confused.
05-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Thanks all, i may consider to buy the magnifying eyepiece. I tried LV but cannot enlarge the focus area, a bit confused.
Once in LV, press the ok button to activate the zoom function, by default, should be 2x, turn the front wheel dial to change the zoom setting.

Hope i remember correctly.
05-04-2016, 12:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The favorite on this site has been the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece. I have not personally used it, so cannot give a strong recommendation.
I can recommend it. I use an O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, and it enhances the focus snap of the focusing screen. I have a similar VF magnifier for the Pentax 645D/Z.
05-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks all
05-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using my A series lenses and I find manual focusing a joy now.
05-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This may seem a bit obvious, but have you set the diopter adjustment on the VF to match your eyesight?