Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 03:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First hands on.

Just got my K-1 this afternoon. Put on the 24-70 and shot a couple of very ordinary shots, hey it was getting dark. I setup a few of the settings that I always do on a new camera, yeah I don't do this very often. One of the first things I set is RAW, DNG. One shot, into the iMac running El Capitan and opened it in Photos. It read the file, allowed me to edit it, so I don't have to wait the long wait for Apple and Ricoh to get the support for a new camera sorted.

I then thought to myself, self lets try the PEF format. Not as lucky it didn't read this format. Anyone wanting to use PEF and a Mac computer you will have to use the Pentax software and convert the file. I haven't tried it with Adobe as I don't use their software.

I stick to the DNG format hoping it has longevity.

05-04-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Just got my K-1 this afternoon

Excellent news AussieTrev. I have got 2 questions for you mate. 1) Are you going to get any sleep tonight? 2) Are you taking tomorrow off work to play with the K-1? Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited by pjv; 05-04-2016 at 04:01 AM. Reason: add text
05-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Excellent news AussieTrev. I have got 2 questions for you mate. 1) Are you going to get any sleep tonight? 2) Are you taking tomorrow off work to play with the K-1? Enjoy and good luck.
I have to get sleep tonight, been a long day without knowing the camera was on the way till I missed the delivery, lucky it was shipped and could be picked up at the local post office.

I'm on leave so no need to take the day off. I might try it with the FA 100 Macro in the morning.
05-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Just got my K-1 this afternoon. Put on the 24-70 and shot a couple of very ordinary shots, hey it was getting dark. I setup a few of the settings that I always do on a new camera, yeah I don't do this very often. One of the first things I set is RAW, DNG. One shot, into the iMac running El Capitan and opened it in Photos. It read the file, allowed me to edit it, so I don't have to wait the long wait for Apple and Ricoh to get the support for a new camera sorted.

I then thought to myself, self lets try the PEF format. Not as lucky it didn't read this format. Anyone wanting to use PEF and a Mac computer you will have to use the Pentax software and convert the file. I haven't tried it with Adobe as I don't use their software.

I stick to the DNG format hoping it has longevity.
Thanks for sharing your joy with the new K-1 (jealous). It is a wonderful camera I am sure, some day I will get it, but not for now as I have too many cameras. As for the RAW format, IMHO there is no advantage of using PEF, and DNG is becoming the defacto standard and for the future, I don't think I need to worry it.

05-04-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Just to confirm Trev's observations. I have tried to open a K-1 PEF file in C1, LR, DXO10, ACDsee. None of these see the PEF format as yet.

To date my only slight beef with the K-1 is I keep hitting the live view button when looking to review, as it is in the same position review is on the k-3/k-5. A little annoying, but no big deal. Do you find the same Trev?
05-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
To date my only slight beef with the K-1 is I keep hitting the live view button when looking to review, as it is in the same position review is on the k-3/k-5. A little annoying, but no big deal. Do you find the same Trev?
That's what I found for the first day or two, but I'm used to it now (6 days later)
05-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new camera, Trev. I'm waiting a few months before I decide, though it's likely I'll be getting one. In the meantime, I'll watch developments with interest.
05-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
That will be an annoyance. I have come from the K-3, which I have past onto my wife Annie. She is moving from the K30 so it will be the opposite with her. Will make for some interesting comment when we are out shooting together.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Congrats on the new camera,
Thanks, I ponied up for this one as I am nearing retirement and need to buy all my new toys before then.