Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
Image #4 is not sharper
...it is on my monitor...

QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
The grain in film pictures was why nobody sharpened pictures until digital came along.
Interesting notion...I have darkroom experience going back 4 1/2 decades and don't remember having the option of sharpening for optical enlargements. That being said, it is possible and common enough to apply USM to scans from film negatives/prints. Most scanners have native support for such and sharpening may be applied in post the same as with any other digital image. I tend to not do with high resolution scans due to artifact potential.

As for the role of grain in edge perception and acuitance, that is an interesting and complex topic. I am not sure it is directly applicable to noise in a direct digital capture. With film, grain is a byproduct of image formation and it presence is proportional to the amount of converted silver (i.e. part of the image) and has the potential to reinforce edge perception as a result. With a digital capture, noise replaces the image pixel-per-pixel and is not an intrinsic part of the image.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2016 at 04:10 PM.
05-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...it is on my monitor...

Steve
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. It appears sharper because of the noise - which creates well defined edges and creates the illusion of sharpness in an image. When you have a noise free image the brain is fooled into seeing the edges as less defined. All sharpening algorithms work by increasing edge contrast.
05-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Order of sharpest to from highest to least

So im not sure how that pans out but ill guess the following. 1,3,4 have similar reds.

1. K1 post cropped with 300mm
2. K3 with 300mm
3. K1 cropped mode with 300mm
4. K1 with 450mm

I was thinking like this...

1. K1 post cropped with 300mm
2. K3 with 300mm
3. K1 cropped mode with 300mm
4. K1 with 450mm

4. The only image that are much difference sharpness between left side and right side.(left side is very sharpness but right side) -> It means different focal length with other 3 images.
2. Sharpest of 300mm - cropped mode, post cropped = 15mp vs k3 = 24mp

1,3 I was wrong with this. I thought cropped mode of K-1 is more sharper.

05-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspected that #4 was the 300mm (DA* 300/4?) on the K-3, but am pleasantly surprised that #2 was taken with the 450mm. Is it safe to assume this was the new D FA 150-450/4.5-5.6? If so, I am in awe. Steve
I used the DFA150-450 with both K3 and K1, having the lens fixed on a tripod. So, I used the 300mm (mid range) @f5.6 and 450mm @f5.6 (wide open) by zooming in and refocusing. I wanted to know if the extra pixels of FF would compensate for drop of sharpness at the long end wide open vs 300mm cropped in an APSC frame (both with K1 crop or K3).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-05-2016 at 10:44 PM.
05-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how the K1 in crop mode would perform against the K3, and after this you can see that at low ISO, the K3 resolves better (the advantage of 9 more megapixels). So, if you're going to use good apps-c lenses, it appears that you will get more out of them on the K3 than K1 in crop mode.
05-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #36
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
32GB SDHC card from Transcend that is made in Taiwan
I was gonna say it was definitely looking more like a SanDisk card.
05-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I for one didn't buy the K1 to use it on anything other than FF, so this is all a bit academic for me, but I can understand that many folk will use it for both formats, dependant on their lens arsenal.

05-08-2016, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
a pair of 128gb
My K1 reports 400 ish RAW DNGs to a 32gb card.

As I'm stills only and never in "spray and pray" mode, with the cards set to fill sequential, it gives me some 800 ish images (more if I'm JPEG, for immediate upload) without switching cards.

I consider that more than enough, to not put "all eggs in same basket" at any one time.
05-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My K1 reports 400 ish RAW DNGs to a 32gb card.

As I'm stills only and never in "spray and pray" mode, with the cards set to fill sequential, it gives me some 800 ish images (more if I'm JPEG, for immediate upload) without switching cards.

I consider that more than enough, to not put "all eggs in same basket" at any one time.
I do raw to one, jpg to the other, and while on vacation I will pull them off each night, but leave them on the card too so I have backups.
05-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

jpg to the other
May sound like a dumb question on my part, but please humour the old Kerrowdown... why do you do a simultaneous save as JPEG, when you can make as many of those as you want from the RAW?

I only ever shoot JPEG, when I need to do an immediate upload for transfer somewhere.

This is the sort of thing that makes this forum such an interesting place to be, with all our different styles and approaches to photography.
05-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #41
Site Supporter

May sound like a dumb question on my part, but please humour the old Kerrowdown... why do you do a simultaneous save as JPEG, when you can make as many of those as you want from the RAW?

I only ever shoot JPEG, when I need to do an immediate upload for transfer somewhere.

This is the sort of thing that makes this forum such an interesting place to be, with all our different styles and approaches to photography.
It makes it easier to instantly post one that would be great with no PP. It also allows me fast access to what I have on other computers that don't have any kind of RAW processing or viewing capability.
05-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It also allows me fast access to what I have on other computers that don't have any kind of RAW processing or viewing capability
See... I hadn't even considered that as a possibility, thanks for putting up with me.
05-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #43
Site Supporter

See... I hadn't even considered that as a possibility, thanks for putting up with me.
No problem!
05-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #44
Veteran Member

for all the technical advantages of the full frame there shouldn't even be a debate about it... they should stick out like a sore thumb

Randy
05-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #45

As an additional side note of interest for Kerrowdown: In a related but slightly altered use by VoiceOfReason… I also do concurrent in-camera RAW + JPEG (downsized) processing for vacations. This is because my wife appreciates the instant JPEGs. She likes to throw them into an MS Powerpoint presentation with text comments as a summary of our trip to share during our next visit with family or best friend. Not being a photography enthusiast, with the instant JPEGs she doesn't have to take time or effort for post-processing. Me of course, I'm after the RAW images.