Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #106
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 757
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
2016 is a 10k year for some!
Yet mercifully the last £10k year. This will see me complete, stuffed full and satisfied with tog equipment until the K-1 MkII comes out.

In the coming years I've got three kids to put through college, buy and furnish houses for and provide motor cars . . . list is endless. Good job old Dad can live like a vagrant on scraps.

05-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #107
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,131
:P And Dad does need toys after all.

How will you document the car accidents and the kids without it? :P
05-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #108
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,103
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Yet mercifully the last £10k year. This will see me complete, stuffed full and satisfied with tog equipment until the K-1 MkII comes out.

In the coming years I've got three kids to put through college, buy and furnish houses for and provide motor cars . . . list is endless. Good job old Dad can live like a vagrant on scraps.
Think about it this way, you could be living in the US. Cost of college is on the order of 35,000 pounds a year as compared to 6-8,000 in the UK. That's a lot of gear when you multiply the difference by three. That being said, everyone just takes out loans, or relies on financial aid.
05-20-2016, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 757
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Think about it this way, you could be living in the US. Cost of college is on the order of 35,000 pounds a year as compared to 6-8,000 in the UK. That's a lot of gear when you multiply the difference by three. That being said, everyone just takes out loans, or relies on financial aid.
I saw a report recently saying that UK students are now coming out with the highest debts. Even more than the US!

Good job we live in neither country. University is around 20,000 Baht (£400) a semester. A good starter home around 1.5 million Baht (£30,000).

05-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #110
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,799
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I saw a report recently saying that UK students are now coming out with the highest debts. Even more than the US!

Good job we live in neither country. University is around 20,000 Baht (£400) a semester. A good starter home around 1.5 million Baht (£30,000).


And what is the annual median income?
05-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #111
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 757
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And what is the annual median income?
It's pretty low, but getting better. The well educated can still make a good living. The way I see it, in the UK even well paid professionals can no longer afford houses, the average is £290,000 and that's at record low interest rates (this is a dire situation as we're entering a period of rising rates and it won't take much for people's debt costs to double, simple arithmetic). Western economies are stacked with debt, demographics are shot to pieces. It's easy for me to provide good, well furnished safe homes and motor cars from the get go, so the kids are never in debt and have a great quality of life. I couldn't do that in the UK. This is only possible through present Western hegemonic power, so long as it lasts.
05-20-2016, 04:35 AM   #112
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why not simply design the shape to better accommodate larger diameter lenses?
We don't know what's inside the prism housing and how a redesign of the exterior shape would alter the interior engineering layout.

IOW, which came first, the exterior or the interior?
05-20-2016, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #113
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
It's pretty low, but getting better. The well educated can still make a good living. The way I see it, in the UK even well paid professionals can no longer afford houses, the average is £290,000 and that's at record low interest rates (this is a dire situation as we're entering a period of rising rates and it won't take much for people's debt costs to double, simple arithmetic). Western economies are stacked with debt, demographics are shot to pieces. It's easy for me to provide good, well furnished safe homes and motor cars from the get go, so the kids are never in debt and have a great quality of life. I couldn't do that in the UK. This is only possible through present Western hegemonic power, so long as it lasts.
House prices are driven by the affordability of the mortgage payment. If interest rates rise, which increases the mortgage payment, house prices decline accordingly until the same mortgage payment buys the same house.

It's just math.

05-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #114
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,799
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We don't know what's inside the prism housing and how a redesign of the exterior shape would alter the interior engineering layout.

IOW, which came first, the exterior or the interior?


Chicken or egg?









Still, having the crescent slice on the front of the PentaProboscis looks like an afterthought. An "Uh oh!" moment when the design team goes to mount one of the larger diameter lenses and they realize that someone overlooked something significant.


Albeit too late in the design process.


Considering the costs of development, and the cost of rework and retooling, I can envision the discussion in the conference room:


"Let's just make a slight cut right (sic) here. It isn't very big. Nobody will even notice. And hey, once someone trys to mount one of those fat Sigma lenses and it scratches the housing, then we can blame it on those guys."

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-21-2016 at 07:13 PM.
05-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #115
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
It wouldn't be a retool. It's there intentionally to provide clearance for the K-mount spec. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing sinister, not an error.

Such talk isn't helping.
05-21-2016, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #116
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 163
Nice looking camera. Even with ugly background, dust, finger smudge on lens barrel, and poor lighting.

Feels wonderful in my hands. And the viewfinder is much better to my eyes than the old K-5 I used to have. Looking forward to getting a handful of lenses and learning this thing.

05-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #117
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,131
This thread is bad for my savings account :S
05-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #118
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,799
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
This thread is bad for my savings account :S


So you've placed an order then?
05-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #119
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,971
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So you've placed an order then?
Why is signature saying "Proud Not Owner K3" ??
05-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #120
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,799
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Why is signature saying "Proud Not Owner K3" ??


Because I do not own one


So you're just now noticing this? Been there for about three years.










But.


It is the awesome K-1 for which I lust.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, f3.5, f4, fa, flickr, full frame, full-frame, hood, k-1, k-1 camera, k1, line, macro, pentax k-1, post, rh, scratch, sigma, smc, takumar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silver K-3 Camera Porn Adam Pentax K-3 22 12-17-2013 07:11 PM
Pentax K-3 Camera Porn Adam Pentax K-3 8 10-09-2013 03:04 PM
Camera porn. SlickYamaha General Talk 46 11-01-2011 03:42 AM
Misc camera porn nickthetasmaniac Post Your Photos! 7 08-26-2011 07:32 PM
Camera Porn wjt General Talk 12 09-17-2010 08:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top