Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
question about the strap lug "protector"

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Delivery of my K-1 is scheduled for Monday, (which means because of 'signature required for delivery', I'll have to fetch it from my local UPS center on Tuesday).

From posted pictures, it looks like Pentax no longer uses little leather flaps to protect the body from scratches caused by the metal parts of the strap ends. Looks like they now use little plastic bits. To those who already have their bodies, do you think those little plastic bits are secure enough, protect the body enough, and are durable enough to last a long time? Or, should I take the leather flaps off one of my old bodies?

05-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't think those were ever intended for the purpose you are thinking (just my opinion)... Since I have been on the road with my K3 the little metal clips that hold the neck strap on to the body... mine have twisted up several times so that I had to take my neck strap all the way off, re-orient the little metal clip... then put the strap back on.

I noticed those little plastic things on the K1 and I think that design change was to keep it from slipping around like mine has done on a few occasions.
05-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine looks secure enough. How durable they are? Ask me in 5 years. I expect the plastic might get brittle over time but without knowing the plastic I cannot say.

For now they look OK, but if you have old leather ones I would put them in a ziplock where you know where to find them
05-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Available on eBay - the leather shield and triangular lug ring set of two - for ten bucks. Pricey, but available.

The K-1 rings seem just fine to me.

05-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the quick feedback. And, thanks for the link. Didn't realize anybody sold those. I'll probably pull the tabs off an old body and put them on the K-1. I use a Hakuba LH grip strap on one side and the neck strap on the other. As such, I need something to protect the body.

Hakuba LH Camera Grip Hand Strap KGP-02 B&H Photo Video
05-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I really dislike the little triangular rings on the prior bodies -- like alamo5000 said, they don't like to stay in one orientation. So if the plastic helps with that, I'm all in favor!

And I took off the little leather covers on my K-3 II because I don't like those either. I'm not too worried about damage, as the worst that might happen would be a little surface marking on the body within 5mm of the lugs, and I decided that didn't matter to me.

I'll have to revisit my opinion in a few months after I get a K-1!
05-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I changed the triangular split "rings" for circular ones on my K-5s and K-7. Got rid of the leather. Problem solved.

05-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My first SLR a second hand Minolta SRT Super built between 1973-1975 has plastic bits in its triangular split "rings". That camera travelled the world with me to some of the roughest places imaginable its plastic bits are still intact.

Glenn
05-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

You could do "will call" and pick it up at like 8 p.m. on Monday if you want it earlier. =)