Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I use grips on everything, as I've get big hands and fast heavy glass, which makes the set up rather weight forward.

I'm still waiting on the K1 grip to arrive, using the camera without a grip feels most alien to me.
That's funny! I have the K-1 grip (arrived this past Tuesday) and am waiting on the K-1 camera (in transit to arrive this coming Tuesday). I think I prefer your scenario.

05-07-2016, 05:09 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
That's funny! I have the K-1 grip (arrived this past Tuesday) and am waiting on the K-1 camera (in transit to arrive this coming Tuesday). I think I prefer your scenario.
When your K-1 arrives, it'll balance out the feeling of the grip nicely
05-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #33

Just got my grip this morning. It definitely improves the balance and yet doesn't feel much heavier. Though it does make the camera considerably larger. Sadly the battery tray is not compatible with earlier grips. I used to find it useful to switch trays from my K5II to K3 when I needed to change in a hurry. That`s no longer possible with the K1 as it`s a slightly different profile.
05-08-2016, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I wonder how much the line for this divide relates to how long one shot film?
Film my case was forever.

My LXs had both the motor drive and the nicad battery pack fitted on the bottom, together with the plastic handle bit so it was like a pseudo grip.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
That's funny! I have the K-1 grip (arrived this past Tuesday) and am waiting on the K-1 camera (in transit to arrive this coming Tuesday).
If we both lived closer... we could have had a fun day out together with one completed K1 set up.

As long as you play nicely and promise to share and take turn about.
05-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #36
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
it'll balance out the feeling of the grip nicely
That's my thinking too.
05-08-2016, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I have always liked a battery grip, from back in the motor drive days, thru to AA power, the addition has always been good sense to me, as well as the ergonomics, larger grip for my big hands.

I loved the grip on my D*ist, and K-7, K-5, great ergonomically, I have the grip on the K-1,.

My impression, lost opportunity, not as ergonomic, is deeper and larger than the K-5 grip for no apparent reason or benefit, it is not curved as previous, very straight, biggest problem the near non-existent thumb grip, the camera combo constantly feels like it is about to spin out of my hand, and it is only a one battery holder as previous grips , in my opinion, on a pro camera, it should have held two batteries, with a stem replacing the in body battery, so you don't have to constantly remove the grip all the time to charge that battery. Grip on, both batteries in the grip, easier to work with. The battery grip back on my MZ-5 did this.

Lastly, a blatantly obvious, yet overlooked feature. The previous grips had a spare SD card holder, and I always thought, really, they could have held more than one, but the K-1 has two SD cards in it, the grip, should have been designed with two spare slots.

I still prefer the grip on my camera, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this grip is no good, and I am not disrespecting it. I just feel it could have been better designed for a pro level camera.

Last edited by cmohr; 05-08-2016 at 06:17 AM.
05-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #38

I've got large hands, and I find the grips really make overall comfort, usability and in some respects safety, tops for me. I've got them for both the K5iis and the K3, and will be ordering for the K1 shortly.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Lastly, a blatantly obvious, yet overlooked feature. The previous grips had a spare SD card holder, and I always thought, really, they could have held more than one, but the K-1 has two SD cards in it, the grip, should have been designed with two spare slots.
K3 has dual slots as well, fwiw, and the grip only holds one SD.

I agree on the point of two batteries in the grip - I really hate having to remove it to get to the in body battery. It's a PITA as the screw often torques down really tight after shooting 1000 pics, and the potential for wear and tear on the pins/misalignment when reattaching is always there. Had a pin get stuck in once on the K5iis grip, for example.
05-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some other possible benefits from using a battery grip;

Toning up of bingo wings.

In camera stabilization enhancement.

If you don't use it, you might be seen to have wasted your money. (Very important if your wife keeps an eye on your expenditure and you make the mistake of telling her that the new handbag is a waste of money!)

Until I use my K20d more with the grip I'm going to assume it is beneficial.
05-09-2016, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

I did not buy the grip with the camera because the price I was quoted in Australia is $499- I know it can be bought cheaper than that.
I had concerns that the camera would not be big enough to grip with all 4 fingers (and my thumb, for the pedantic. i have owned a K200, 2 x K5's and K3 all with battery grips to increase the holding area to allow grip for my little finger. I can comfortably grip with all four fingers on the K1. The convenience and ease of use of a second shutter release means that once my credit card recovers fully from the shock of the K1 I will actively consider the D-BG6
05-09-2016, 03:39 AM   #41
Forum Member

With large lenses, they balance out the camera and make it more comfortable to hold for me. Also, I have everything I need in the grip for a day of shooting. Two batteries and the extra memory card. I prefer not to take all my pictures on one memory card for safety reasons with weddings. However, I do not want to be running back to my bag to get memory cards in a pinch. With my current cameras, I can have three memory cards in my camera and that's all I need for the day. Need to get some bigger memory cards for the K-1 though, especially if I want to write to two cards at once.
05-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

My hands are pretty big; ergonomically, grips have been must-have for me on my previous Pentax DSLRs (K10, K-7, K-5 IIs; I didn't like the grip on the LX). I'm curious whether it'll be as big of a deal with the K-1. According to the tracking info I'll be able to report back later today!
05-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
My hands are pretty big; ergonomically, grips have been must-have for me on my previous Pentax DSLRs (K10, K-7, K-5 IIs; I didn't like the grip on the LX). I'm curious whether it'll be as big of a deal with the K-1. According to the tracking info I'll be able to report back later today!
I'm missing it. I don't like my pinky finger flapping around
05-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
I'm missing it. I don't like my pinky finger flapping around
Seems borderline. I need to do a proper shoot with it and see how it goes. It's close but I'm thinking I'll probably want the grip (plus I love endless battery juice).
05-09-2016, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #45

Did a portait shoot with the K1 + grip and 70-200 at the weekend. Worked a treat. Makes the camera even comfier to hold for extended periods.
Build is excellent - same as the camera body. Rubber seals etc.... Buttons have the same tactile feel as the main body.
It's pricey but not as pricey as typical OEM grips and personally I would not be without one for a wedding where I want to be 100% sure I have two memory cards, two batteries in the body never mind the added comfort when shooting 70-200.

With other brands I bought the Meike equivalents and was never quite happy with the fit finish relative to an OEM. This time I took the plunge on the OEM.