Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm another one that grips don't work for. I don't understand why a grip is needed to balance a large lens, we never needed them with film cameras and they were even smaller than DSLRs, I find they just add more weight to an already heavy set-up.
Using a grip to lengthen battery life,why put more weight than necessary on your camera, if a battery dies I just pull a new one out of my bag or pocket.

Glenn

05-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I'm another one that grips don't work for. I don't understand why a grip is needed to balance a large lens, we never needed them with film cameras and they were even smaller than DSLRs, I find they just add more weight to an already heavy set-up.
Using a grip to lengthen battery life,why put more weight than necessary on your camera, if a battery dies I just pull a new one out of my bag or pocket.

Glenn
I own a grip for my K-3 - I never use it. I find the way to hold a camera with a grip in portrait orientation is awkward after literally decades of not having a grip on film cameras. The grip for my PZ-1 which has no battery and only serves to add stability to large hands is light as a feather and feels right but has no electronics.

The only time I could see using the K-3 grip would be during an event where a battery change would present an opportunity to miss something very important or in a time-lapse situation. I didn't think I would feel this way - the PZ-1 grip being my only other grip experience. But I just can't wrap my head around wanting the extra weight. I even tried using it without batteries just to see if that was more like the PZ-1 grip - but it wasn't.

So It's in my bag of tricks but almost never will have an opportunity to play.
05-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #18
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I will go the other way, I've tried grips and they just don't work for me. The extra weight cancels out any battery increase. I do shoot about half portrait but find turning the camera works for me. YMMV
Same for me. I got a grip (for free) with my K-3. I have tested it, but never really used it. I find it did balance well when mounting an on-camera flash (Metz 58), but I rarely have flash on the camera. It probably would balance better with big lenses too, but I don't want big lenses - for much the same reason I don't like the grip.

No, I don't want a mirrorless, either
05-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have them for my K20d, my K5, and my K3. When I get the next body, it'll have one too. I find them essential for my photography and technique.

05-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
Banned

Had a grip with K20D, K-5 and K-3. Never had fun using them and the one from the K-3 never left the box.
05-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #21

Original Poster
I'm hearing "own one and love it" on one end, "don't own one and don't want one" on the other, and a concerning number of people who tried it and couldn't make it work for them.

For the moment, I'm going to hold off on getting a grip (ha!). It seems a bit pricey to gamble on liking it in use, especially since I wasn't able to order it with the body at the discount rate.

Thanks everyone for all the input, and by all means continue the discussion - I'd love to have my decision validated and/ or my mind changed!
05-06-2016, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #22

Om film cameras the motordrive was the grip. DSLR's dont need a motordrive but some folks missed the grip - so here it is. My preference when using tripod mounted telephoto lens is to not use the grip on my K5iis, less weight stress on the lens mount. However, with smaller lens and handholding, the grip provides that extra weight stability making the camera easier to hold. Shootng in portrait orientation the extra shutter release on the grip can be used without putting your fingers in contortions.

The single only reason I bought it however is to have that extra battery power.

So yay

05-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theEight Quote
Om film cameras the motordrive was the grip. DSLR's dont need a motordrive but some folks missed the grip - so here it is. My preference when using tripod mounted telephoto lens is to not use the grip on my K5iis, less weight stress on the lens mount. However, with smaller lens and handholding, the grip provides that extra weight stability making the camera easier to hold. Shootng in portrait orientation the extra shutter release on the grip can be used without putting your fingers in contortions.

The single only reason I bought it however is to have that extra battery power.

So yay
Only on older film cameras. Modern one's had motors built in much like DSLR's. That's the situation with the PZ-1 for example.

Battery power? Wow - I get the idea but hundreds of shots before swapping the battery is plenty. Given the 36 roll film that used to be my limiter...
05-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a battery grip on my K10. It adds weight I don't need, & found no need for it, with the type of shooting I do. When I moved to the K3, I'm most happy not to have a grip on it.
05-06-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have always used a grip. I have large hands so, for me, the camera just feels better with a grip on it. In portrait mode it makes it easier to steady the camera and the buttons and dials are more comfortably accessible. And with a longer lens mounted the whole rig just feels more balanced. So I say "yay" to the grip.
05-06-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I use grips on everything, as I've get big hands and fast heavy glass, which makes the set up rather weight forward.

I'm still waiting on the K1 grip to arrive, using the camera without a grip feels most alien to me.
05-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I've used a battery grip on every camera that could have one. As far back as my ME-Super, *ist-D and my soon-to-be-in-my-hands K1. You get an additional battery, better ergonomics and sometimes some cool extra storage places - like for an additional SD card or remote. Battery grips are definitely worth it - so many uses.
I'm with Lauren on this. I like the way the grip allows me to "store" my right pinky. My hands are not large but I do have long musician's fingers, I find the grip ergonomically "pleasing" to me. I also like the extra storage for both battery and SD card. The only time the grip comes off on my K-3 is when it's on a tripod.

NaCl(never leave home without it)H2O
05-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
I'm hearing "own one and love it" on one end, "don't own one and don't want one" on the other, and a concerning number of people who tried it and couldn't make it work for them.
I wonder how much the line for this divide relates to how long one shot film?

For example, I liked smaller rangefinder film cameras and was late joining the digital revolution.
05-06-2016, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I don't understand why a grip is needed to balance a large lens, we never needed them with film cameras and they were even smaller than DSLRs, I find they just add more weight to an already heavy set-up.
Glenn - whether-or-not a battery grip enhances the shooting experience is very subjective. There's certainly no need to use one for balancing with larger lenses. That said, I personally much prefer the balance of my cameras when using the grip - especially with heavier lenses (an example being my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8) - and I find the replicated controls on the grip very useful indeed when shooting portrait. So no... a grip isn't needed, but for some of us it can be very beneficial. And for me, it's easy enough to remove when I want a more compact setup. I estimate that I shoot with the grip attached 90% of the time

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-07-2016 at 01:27 AM.
05-07-2016, 12:37 AM   #30

I've used K-5 and K-3 (current) with and without grip. I like the portrait mode controls, but sometimes I forget to turn them off which can be a pain. I don't really mind the weight or bulk, although it can be a boon to have a compact/stealth setup in candid/street photography.

By the way, a friend of mine has a K-1. He preordered the K-1 as a package with the grip and won't be using it himself (still new and unused). I'll ask him if he would like me to put it up for sale or trade here.