Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Borrelli Quote
By the way, a friend of mine has a K-1. He preordered the K-1 as a package with the grip and won't be using it himself (still new and unused). I'll ask him if he would like me to put it up for sale or trade here.
I'd be interested for sure!

05-25-2016, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #47

I have used motor drives/battery grips since I owned my first camera in the 80's (ME Super). I have very large hands and Pentax tends to make their cameras smaller than most and I would always have 1 or 2 fingers below the bottom of the camera without one. I find this thread/question curious since it is highly subjective due to the photographer's needs, shooting style, equipment (lenses), and how they handle the camera. So even if the majority of the responses lean one way or the other it doesn't mean much. It's somewhat like asking who wears size 11 shoes and if the majority reply they do, then they should by default be the best choice for everyone. It is however interesting to hear how different photographers operate with and without them.

I will say that I couldn't shoot without a grip anymore, for me it is too hard to hold the camera comfortably without it (especially with large lenses), it makes vertical shooting comfortable with easy control access, and it allows me to carry an extra battery without have to swap them out when the first one dies. Again these reasons would only apply to my shooting style and preference, but I thought I would at least register my vote

TIP: To avoid taking your grip on and off all the time to recharge the in-camera battery set the battery option in the menu to shoot with the grip battery first, and only use the in-camera battery as your backup. I find 70% of the time I never have to use the battery in the camera and you can just keep recharging the one in the grip. Even when I do have to resort to the in-camera battery I use maybe 10% - 30% of it, so I can go through 3 or 4 shoots without repeatedly taking the grip on and off.

Kyle
05-25-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
With the D-FA* 70-200mm I will be using the grip. The lens is just too big to go all day without it.

With the 31mm I wont use it. I won't take it off just for a few shots, but if I going for a walk with the 31mm I will remove the grip.

For me it just depends on the lens and how long I will be shooting.
Fully agree with this. I don't have the K-1 grip [yet]. I have a grip for the K-3 which I think I've used maybe twice. However, this weekend I was shooting with the K-1 and 150-450. The K-1 felt awkward with this lens, my pinky has nowhere to rest and the camera seemed small compared to the lens.

If you plan to shoot with one of "the beasts", the 70-200 or 150-450, definitely consider getting the grip.
08-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #49
Forum Member

I've used a grip on my K5 II, and now my K3 (even used the grip on my LX & on my Super Program). I find it gives me more options to hold the camera more comfortably. When I upgrade to the K1, the grip will also be purchased.

08-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #50
Pentaxian

On the K-5 II I preferred a grip even when using the camera in landscape orientation because otherwise I could not comfortably fit all fingers on the camera's grip.

Shooting in portrait orientation is also much more relaxed with a battery grip as it repeats the main controls and thus avoids arm contortions.

It is, however, very unlikely that I'll ever get a D-BG6 for my K-1. The reason is that Ricoh -- for inexplicable reasons -- decided to permute the button layout on the D-BG6, compared to the camera layout. In case you follow the link: "Option A" is the brain-damaged (sorry, this still frustrates me) original D-BG6 design with only one out of three buttons in the same relative position and "Option B" is an alternative where at least two (the most used ones) out of three buttons are in the same relative position.

The D-BG4 for the K-5 (II) did not play musical chairs with the camera buttons on the grip and hence I could fluidly change between landscape and portrait orientation without rewiring my brain upon each change.

Despite the fact that I would appreciate the more natural arm positions when using portrait orientation with a grip, I do not plan to get a D-BG6 and somehow learn how to dynamically adapt to the changing button layouts. This would be akin to buying a third-party grip where the dials work in reverse direction. Sure, you can adapt to that, if you really want to, but I had one of those and I replaced it with a genuine Pentax grip as soon as I could. It drove me bonkers.
08-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #51

I've shot the DBG6 on the K1 and found it to be a very comfortable camera when shooting he 70-200 for my hand size.

Actually I generally always put battery grips on all my cameras and shoot that way 99% of the time in day to day. I prefer a physically larger body

Tom.
08-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with Tom on this one. A grip just makes the camera feel right to me. Only time it comes off is when doing astro on my tracking mount since the weight balance is easier to achieve with it off and I am on external power anyway so I don't need the extra battery.

08-15-2016, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #53

I' ve tried them several times(Thanks Larry Brown) but have never liked them. Too bulky and makes everything awkward to me. If I need an extra battery then I'll remove it from a pocket and change it out. To each his own but I just do not see why one would be needed.
08-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I don't have a k-1 (yet).... but I prefer to do it without the grip when I get mine. My reasons are the following:
First, I use hand-strap instead on shoulder strap...and it is easier (and less heavy) without the grip. And it also keeping me in low profile and hence more likely to get candid and better shots.
Since I shoot a lot with flash when I am indoors, I don't like turning the camera (with hotshoe mounted flash) sideway to take photos in portrait orientation. Instead, I keep it normal orientation and crop my photos in PP (the extra pixels in k-3 in plentiful and makes this work perfectly). I find it problematic (error prone) turning the camera sideway with the hotshoe mount flash; it does look right (mostly shadows).
I hate people taking portrait shots while forgetting to turn the flash upward pointing to the ceiling. I have been blinded by the "careless and unprofessional" photogs before (yikes!! that was brutal) and don't want to do to others.

Having said that, i have no objection to others using the grip (whatever works well for them)... however, I will agree that many amateurs and even beginners will get the grip thinking that they look more "pro" with the grip on the camera; and I have seen too many of them in my circle. Some are even thinking about getting the biggest flash-diffuser to make them look "good" as professionals.
08-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually use the grip on my K5/K5-IIs and K3 as the camera fits my hand better when it is on. The K1 is bigger and does fit my hand better, but I will probably get a grip for it when i have the money. The past year has been pretty expensive for me photography wise. D FA 150-450 lens. Nest gimbal head. Lensmaster gimbal head, Promaster gimbal head, (I think I have GHBA). K1, D FA28 -105 lens, DA 55-300 lens, Kirk window mount and a Vanguard Auctus 283CT tripod On top of that my wife got me a Sigma 300mm f2.8. Plus lots of little things.
08-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #56

I prefer it with a grip, specially with a zoom lenses . You get better grip and ballance. My every day lens is F-DA 24-70. With that lens, IMO, grip is a must . However it does become a bit heavy ( 2.2 Kg). But if I go for a walk, I put on my FA 50, 1.4, take the grip off and it is perfectly ballanced again. At least you've got the options. (Unlike with 1D-X)
10-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my K-3 grip for shooting all day like covering a bike or ski race in the rain, dust, or snow. I can put a WR lens on, and extra battery for the grip in, and go all (or most) of the day without having to open the camera up at all.
I'm still undecided on the K-1 grip. I'll probably get one for the same purpose before the next event like that.
10-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #58
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I used the grip on my K-5iis once. Didn't like the added weight. The extra battery is nice but I prefer a lighter camera when I'm shooting, even in the studio. I use all primes on my K-1 so it doesn't weigh much more than my K-5iis with the Sigma 18-35mm zoom...
10-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

For me (6' 2", pretty large hands) grips have been a necessity on previous Pentax DSLRs (K10, K-7, K-5 IIs). It's less critical on the K-1 for me, but I still prefer it. I think that the grip on APS-C models worked better ergonomically overall than it does on the K-1 -- it feels a little taller than I'd like it. If you could shave 1/8" - 1/4" off of it it'd be sweet!
10-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have grips for both my K 10 and my K 5. For them the ease of shooting in vertical format is compelling, as is the extra battery capacity. With my film cameras I like the winders for the MX and the ME Super. The slight extra bulk and weight seem just right. On my LXs the winder adds convenience, although why Pentax made metering so inconvenient with the winder on I'll never understand. Would that it, and the winders for the M series cameras, had a shutter release oriented for vertical formats.....