Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 05:20 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
On the upside, I do shoot a lot of portrait (the orientation, not the genre) and it'd be nice to have an AA battery option for emergencies.

On the downside, money.

So, grip users: do you feel the K-1 benefits from having it?
Absolutely!
My belief is that every camera should have an accompanying grip whether its needed or not.

11-05-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a must have

I spent three days at the Ft Worth Alliance Air Show last weekend. and I rented the Pentax 150-450 for it. It needed the extra real estate on the body to make holding the set up. especially when I would switch to shooting in the portrait orientation. And I need the extra battery power. The only down side is that when I was working off the grip's controls I could not back button focus with the grips af button.
11-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I use the K1 with a Sigma 70-200/2.8 without the grip. I realised that by taking out the tripod collar, it is so much lighter to use now.
I use this Sigma as well, but for me the collar remains on. It either attaches to the tripod, or that is where my Black Rapid strap connects. I find it offers the best balance connected at that point.

PS - I do use a grip 100% of the time.
11-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I can't speak for the K 1, but I wouldn't be without one on my K 5!
+1!

11-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
I spent three days at the Ft Worth Alliance Air Show last weekend. and I rented the Pentax 150-450 for it. It needed the extra real estate on the body to make holding the set up. especially when I would switch to shooting in the portrait orientation. And I need the extra battery power. The only down side is that when I was working off the grip's controls I could not back button focus with the grips af button.
That's odd. Mine works.
11-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #96
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI

found this yesterday

B&H Pentax K 3 II + $6.95 Battery Grip deal - PentaxForums.com
11-09-2017, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
Works fine for me. Perhaps you have a pin stuck "retracted" in the grip? I had that happen on my K5iis grip once.

11-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
That's odd. Mine works.
I tried it again yesterday when I really didn't need it and it worked, go figure, maybe op error 8-)
11-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I used grips on all my cameras, I think - even in film days. There is no need for a grip, but for me it works nicely for some occasions and with heavier lenses.
Try it, love it or hate it. D-FA 70-200 without grip is not easy to hold for me, the A600 would not balance on a tripod without the grip. For any other lens grip or no grip is optional for me.
11-12-2017, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me it depends on the lens and what I am using the camera for. If I have a large telephoto lens then I use the grip for better balance. I used winders and motor drives on my film cameras so a grip feels natural. The K-1 is a big enough camera to use most of the time without a grip. However the grip gives you the extra battery and can hold an additional SD card. Personally I would not have the K-1 without the grip.
11-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #101

I just tried the Grip on my K1 Limited Silver Edition. The grip fits snug and looks good as well.

Coming from a Canon 5D mkll with a grip, which allowed two batteries to install directly into the back of the grip. The K1 grip uses 1 battery in addition to the 1 that is installed in the body which means that I have to remove the grip (to access battery in body) whenever I need to charge/replace both batteries.

The K1 grip seems to be very solid (except I don't like the plastic twist tab to unlock battery compartment). Same goes for the battery door on the body, that plastic tab seems like it will eventually snap off if I'm not careful.

I like using the grip for shooting events where I'm handholding shots. It gives great balance especially when using larger lenses and feels comfortable, but when I'm out shooting with tripod I prefer no grip as the camera is more stable on the tripod.

So, the K1 grip feels good and looks good but I would have liked it much more had it accepted 2 batteries and not hinder access to the 2nd battery in the body.
11-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gahspidy Quote
../..So, the K1 grip feels good and looks good but I would have liked it much more had it accepted 2 batteries and not hinder access to the 2nd battery in the body.
Hi Gahspidy,
it's funny because I am coming from EOS 5DMKII/6D and I prefer the Pentax's way. Why? Because if you want to take the grip/winder off, you can with K-1 at a glance (at a fraction of a second), not with Canon EOS... Besides, you can mix AA Batteries and Pentax's battery at once which is not possible with Canon grips...
11-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hi Gahspidy,
it's funny because I am coming from EOS 5DMKII/6D and I prefer the Pentax's way. Why? Because if you want to take the grip/winder off, you can with K-1 at a glance (at a fraction of a second), not with Canon EOS... Besides, you can mix AA Batteries and Pentax's battery at once which is not possible with Canon grips...
Great points, I never used AA’s so I hadn’t thought of that aspect but your right in that removing the grip off the K1 would be much simpler and the battery is already in the body....
I guess I’ll appreciate that when I get to using it more often and go to remove the grip.
11-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I just got the grip after owning my K1 for 1 1/2 years so I am going to give it a yes. Makes the camera a real beast.
11-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #105

Photos: Gallery
I've had them on my *ist D, K-5 and K-1. I rarely feel the need on the K-1.