Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Battery grip: yay or nay?

On the upside, I do shoot a lot of portrait (the orientation, not the genre) and it'd be nice to have an AA battery option for emergencies.

On the downside, money.

So, grip users: do you feel the K-1 benefits from having it?

05-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't speak for the K 1, but I wouldn't be without one on my K 5!
05-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I am posting to monitor replies here as I am interested too. I wonder what the grip does for weight on the K1.

I would also be interested to see a pic of the K1 next to a K3 so that I can 'compare' how my hand might fit on there.

I have grown accustomed to using the grip on a K3 now.... so all these K1 pics are tempting me in a big big way.
05-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will go the other way, I've tried grips and they just don't work for me. The extra weight cancels out any battery increase. I do shoot about half portrait but find turning the camera works for me. YMMV

05-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yah! I find the camera so much easier to hold and work with, especially in portrait orientation, with it. I can't believe I ever shot without it!

As a side bonus, it makes people oooh and aaahh over your camera, haha. I once had it mistaken for a 1D X!
05-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

With the D-FA* 70-200mm I will be using the grip. The lens is just too big to go all day without it.

With the 31mm I wont use it. I won't take it off just for a few shots, but if I going for a walk with the 31mm I will remove the grip.

For me it just depends on the lens and how long I will be shooting.
05-06-2016, 09:44 AM - 8 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote

As a side bonus, it makes people oooh and aaahh over your camera, haha. I once had it mistaken for a 1D X!
Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 05-06-2016 at 10:06 AM.
05-06-2016, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
But half the point of a Pentax is that people don't notice it!

(semi-serious, but I'm not one for flashy gear and the Pentax line seems to suit that just fine)
05-06-2016, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I will go the other way, I've tried grips and they just don't work for me...
I'm with you on this. I've had grips since my K20 days, (on a K20, K-7, K-5, and K-3). I carry it in the 'travel' lens bag but very rarely use it. As with you, it is just easier to turn the camera and bend my right wrist up to forehead level. Only real time I shoot portrait orientation is when grabbing frames for a mosaic.
05-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will go the other way, I've tried grips and they just don't work for me. The extra weight cancels out any battery increase. I do shoot about half portrait but find turning the camera works for me. YMMV
Me too.
05-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree. I'm okay with the weight, but I find the grip makes the camera overly large and unwieldy; hard to carry, hard to fit into a pack, etc.

Out in the field, where I could benefit from the extra battery most, the grip is a lot more troublesome than carrying even three extra batteries.

Also, I keep an Arca type plate on my camera and use a carry clip and my tripod, etc., are all set-up to accept same. I do not like the grip+plate combo.

YMMV. I can see how with a different shooting style the grip could be a benefit, especially a more studio style environment.

Finally, while I've been on the "it's great to have the AA option for emergencies" bandwagon for years now, I have never, ever had such "emergency" arise!
05-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I find it is a useful thing to have, though I don't use it a lot. I think it's worth picking up for the offer price in UK (£99 with K-1) if you are not using the £130 discount to buy a lens.

The times I use it are limited to on a tripod (I quite often leave the QR plate on the grip rather than on the camera, partly because the QR plate for my junior geared head is a little large). Another benefit here is that I'm not looking around for tools/coins to take the QR plate one and off the camera - I tend to keep a QR plate on the grip at all times.

It is REALLY handy when shooting portraits/events, just because I find I tire of holding the camera in Portrait orientation and it helps me hold the camera level in portrait. But I don't always bring it, owing to size and weight.

I do NOT take it walking/hiking etc, it's much easier to pocket a spare battery or two, and it makes the camera unwieldy to fit in my (smallish) bag.

So for me - not essential - but worth it if you get an offer price (which would mean not too much loss when selling in the future e.g. as part of an upgrade). Just my 2p!

John

Last edited by johnc; 05-07-2016 at 02:03 AM.
05-06-2016, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Finally, while I've been on the "it's great to have the AA option for emergencies" bandwagon for years now, I have never, ever had such "emergency" arise!
I've had it happen exactly once. Prague, with my A640 that I forgot to pack spares for. I was never happier to see a newspaper stand with overpriced Duracells. Ever since then I've religiously charged and packed my batteries whenever I go anywhere but in the back of my mind there's that little voice, "what if you run out?".
05-06-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

I have never used the one I got with my K3, even though I have had it for a year and a half. perhaps I should sell it.
05-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used a battery grip on every camera that could have one. As far back as my ME-Super, *ist-D and my soon-to-be-in-my-hands K1. You get an additional battery, better ergonomics and sometimes some cool extra storage places - like for an additional SD card or remote. Battery grips are definitely worth it - so many uses.