Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #16

I haven't done any super in depth tests with my K1 yet, just zooming 100% on the viewfinder, but I'm able to get useable photos at one full second with the new 24-70. The hit rate isn't 100%, but with the proper breathing I've been able to nail it more often than not.

That is just an amazing feat. That lens is seriously heavy, so regardless of what end of the zoom I'm on the simple fact that it's able to get usable shots, hand held, at a full second is just astounding.

05-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ginnipe Quote

That is just an amazing feat. That lens is seriously heavy, so regardless of what end of the zoom I'm on the simple fact that it's able to get usable shots, hand held, at a full second is just astounding.
It actually helps being heavy - more inertia. ☺

05-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Right, I bet half a stop of effectiveness is purely from the added weight of the body itself.
But then again, I guess it's the really low frequency that is hard to compensate for.
05-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I agree, Full seconde producing usable shot, omg.6 stops is just insane, it means we can get shots we could never had before. I am wondering if because of everything Pentax has develop around sensor shifting, they maybe achieve a greater shift that Sony or Olympus. Would be interesting to see. When I cleaned my Sony sensor, I could see the sensor moving for about 2 mm.

05-08-2016, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Albums
I give you 6 stops here... 100% is available at flickr. I'm stunned... or well I am rather shaky... that's why I am impressed... Taken with the old Tokina 28-70mm F2.6 -2.8 (first version(or as it is also called, good version))

to clarify, taken at 70mm 1 second exposure. yes there is some blur, but it is totally usable!

Last edited by discharged; 05-08-2016 at 01:35 PM.
05-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It actually helps being heavy - more inertia. ☺
More inertia yes, however if you've used the K-1 with that 24-70 you will know that after a while of using it, you will get a bit tired, therefor introducing more camera shake. While you are correct that it is easier to hold steady at first, over time it becomes harder to do which is what I meant in my head, just didn't fully clarify. Sorry for the confusion!

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 12:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
I agree, Full seconde producing usable shot, omg.6 stops is just insane, it means we can get shots we could never had before. I am wondering if because of everything Pentax has develop around sensor shifting, they maybe achieve a greater shift that Sony or Olympus. Would be interesting to see. When I cleaned my Sony sensor, I could see the sensor moving for about 2 mm.
It really is fantastic! The shots aren't 100% perfect at a full second, but definitely useable. This means that you have a nice big buffer zone between that perfect sharp shot and an unusable one at those lower shutter speeds that isn't possible on other non stabilized cameras!
05-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #22

It really is fantastic! The shots aren't 100% perfect at a full second, but definitely useable. This means that you have a nice big buffer zone between that perfect sharp shot and an unusable one at those lower shutter speeds that isn't possible on other non stabilized cameras!
Does this mean that the pixel shift feature can be used handheld ? I am not sure you can do that but if you take 4 pictures < 1s, it should eventually lead to an amazing shot handheld.

05-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #23
Unregistered User

Why on earth would you shoot at 1 second handheld? Any real world scenarios to make me understand that reasoning?
05-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Why on earth would you shoot at 1 second handheld? Any real world scenarios to make me understand that reasoning?
I would say :
- pixel shift.
- small aperture low light low ISO
- blur fast moving objects against still background events

on top of my head, i mean sometimes it's good to not take a tri/mono pod with us
05-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #25
Unregistered User

Well, pixel shift will not work unless on a tripod and with a 100% still subject.

For the other reasons, ok.
05-09-2016, 01:25 AM   #26

Well, pixel shift will not work unless on a tripod and with a 100% still subject.
That was actually one of my question (since I do not own a K-1 yet ), isn't it possible to use pixel shift handheld with say a shutter speed of 1/60 per shot ?
05-09-2016, 01:49 AM   #27
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
That was actually one of my question (since I do not own a K-1 yet ), isn't it possible to use pixel shift handheld with say a shutter speed of 1/60 per shot ?
No. Pixel shift needs a stationary camera to be of any use. And preferably a stationary subject.

To clear it up a little more: Shake Reduction does not work when using Pixel Shift.
05-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #28

and with a 100% still subject.
True and false. Motion correction deletes the "blocks" where motion is detected. So if motion is detected in one block the other three are encoded, down to one block. Sort of the opposite of MPEG compression which encodes the blocks where motion is detected. So if motion is detected the full four blocks will not be used resulting in less detail resolution in the affected pixels.

View this seminar by Tanaka Kimio from the 2016 CP+. At about 20.:50 Mr. Tanaka discusses motion correction for Pixel Shift (Real Resolution on the Japanese menu). He then shows a Pixel Shift image of ice skaters with Pixel Shift MC off vs on. At about 24:35 Mr. Tanaka shows a "waterfall" shoot with a detail crop of the "white water" MC on vs off.

There were reports from PF members that attended CP+ or other shows in Paris or Canada of them taking Pixel Shift photos of the crowds at the show to demonstrate motion correction. The posters didn't say if a tripod was used or not.

The following interview in DC Watch (in Japanese use Google or a similar translation service) the Ricoh engineers discuss motion correction (about half way down):
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview_dcm/20160322_748845.html

Flickr and Photobucket both seem to be down at the moment so I'll attach screen caps from the above video. Pixel Shift is referred to as Real Resolution (RSS) in the video.
Attached Images

05-09-2016, 03:22 AM   #29
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
True and false. Motion correction deletes the "blocks" where motion is detected. So if motion is detected in one block the other three are encoded, down to one block. Sort of the opposite of MPEG compression which encodes the blocks where motion is detected. So if motion is detected the full four blocks will not be used resulting in less detail resolution in the affected pixels.

View this seminar by Tanaka Kimio from the 2016 CP+. At about 20.:50 Mr. Tanaka discusses motion correction for Pixel Shift (Real Resolution on the Japanese menu). He then shows a Pixel Shift image of ice skaters with Pixel Shift MC off vs on. At about 24:35 Mr. Tanaka shows a "waterfall" shoot with a detail crop of the "white water" MC on vs off.

CP+2016 PENTAX K-1 - YouTube

There were reports from PF members that attended CP+ or other shows in Paris or Canada of them taking Pixel Shift photos of the crowds at the show to demonstrate motion correction. The posters didn't say if a tripod was used or not.

The following interview in DC Watch (in Japanese use Google or a similar translation service) the Ricoh engineers discuss motion correction (about half way down):
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview_dcm/20160322_748845.html

Flickr and Photobucket both seem to be down at the moment so I'll attach screen caps from the above video. Pixel Shift is referred to as Real Resolution (RSS) in the video.
Yes, true. I should have stated this aswell. So if using the PSm handheld you will get an image without the PS since the camera will discard the whole scene as moving and give you an image from only one of the four taken.

On the subject I want to inform you on the fact that there will be some artefacts in the image even if using PSm when processing in camera but not when processing in the Pentax software on a computer. Do not know why but I have seen it in all my images. Maybe this should be in a separate thread...
05-09-2016, 04:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

On the subject I want to inform you on the fact that there will be some artefacts in the image even if using PSm when processing in camera but not when processing in the Pentax software on a computer. Do not know why but I have seen it in all my images. Maybe this should be in a separate thread...
Yes, that sounds like an important discovery.