Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #46

It would seem fairly simple to test how it works hand-held. Take shots with motion correction turned off. Do the same with SR off. Motion artifacts should be obvious after you process the shot (with MC off in the program like DCU just to be sure). See if faster shutter speeds make a difference too.

05-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
Since PS only shift the sensor for about 1 pixel, it would make sense that shake reduction would be applied at the same time, reducing de facto the range of the shift. This would allow pixel shift handheld. Unfortunately I don't find any reference online for this, so I guess you are right and they didn't go implementing this.
You may be correct, that may be possible. However to my knowledge the SR is not engaged while doing pixel shift because I don't believe that it can both keep the sensor total still and shift it minutely (1 pixel) at the same time. Any movement would (again to my knowledge) would be too much to compensate for while also adjusting the sensor by 1 pixel for the PS mode.

That is the impression I'm under after doing some research and reading the manual. I haven't tested it myself yet (finals week has been taking up all my free time) but I plan to in the future.
05-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #48
Forum Member

I just wanted to bump this thread and say how impressive the K-1's shake reduction system is! It's unbelievable really! I took a few handheld test shots of the stars, and was surprised. I am not good at resizing and reposting but the tests may be seen on Flickr, I was getting pinpoint stars up to about 1.3 seconds!

As a side note, I love the little refinements they added I discovered the camera mount light (but not the others) will turn on for about 30 seconds if you press the illuminate button while the camera is off. Nice touch! This has proven to be helpful during astrophotography. No more fiddling with a phone light while trying to switch lenses.
05-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #49

I am so excited that this new SR works wonderfully.
However, I have a question/favor to ask, for the people who own(ed) both K-1 and other body to compare the time for SR to warm up.

Using the bodies before K-1, I usually do half press shutter-->wait for little green hand to popup-->fully press shutter!

Does SR in K-1 still take time to warm up? meaning you still have to wait for the little green hand to popup before fully press shutter. If there exits such a pause, is this pause significantly shorter than the bodies before K-1?
Thank you in advance!!

05-19-2016, 01:28 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
I am so excited that this new SR works wonderfully.
However, I have a question/favor to ask, for the people who own(ed) both K-1 and other body to compare the time for SR to warm up.

Using the bodies before K-1, I usually do half press shutter-->wait for little green hand to popup-->fully press shutter!

Does SR in K-1 still take time to warm up? meaning you still have to wait for the little green hand to popup before fully press shutter. If there exits such a pause, is this pause significantly shorter than the bodies before K-1?
Thank you in advance!!
I haven't owned any other Pentax's, so I can't compare against them. However I don't need to. I just tested this out because I never even knew that it was possible for the SR to "warm up" as you mentioned. With SR on, there is no warm up time. It is just on, it just works. Even when you look through the viewfinder with the camera off, as you turn it on the green hand pops up at the exact same time as the rest of the overlay within the viewfinder. There is no delay whatsoever.

---------- Post added 05-19-16 at 04:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
I just wanted to bump this thread and say how impressive the K-1's shake reduction system is! It's unbelievable really! I took a few handheld test shots of the stars, and was surprised. I am not good at resizing and reposting but the tests may be seen on Flickr, I was getting pinpoint stars up to about 1.3 seconds!

As a side note, I love the little refinements they added I discovered the camera mount light (but not the others) will turn on for about 30 seconds if you press the illuminate button while the camera is off. Nice touch! This has proven to be helpful during astrophotography. No more fiddling with a phone light while trying to switch lenses.

I did some more tests on the SR last night and what continually blown away. I mentioned previously in this thread that I was able to get 1s exposures that were completely usable, so this time I tried to test the SR until it failed. I set the shutter speed to 1/60th, the ol rule of thumb to never go under. Then I proceeded to shake the camera more and more as I took shots. It works to an insane degree. I could hand this camera to a drunk person and every single photo would be sharp as a tack. This gives another big buffer zone so that if you have to take a very quick shot, I know it will be sharp every time.

And I didn't even know that the lens light coming on when the camera was off was a feature. I love this camera more and more every day.
05-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #51

Thank you, Ginnipe! That is a great news! Your reply makes me want to get a K-1 right now!
This new, always on SR will make me a happier person when taking pictures for sports events or street snaps!
05-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Thank you, Ginnipe! That is a great news! Your reply makes me want to get a K-1 right now!
This new, always on SR will make me a happier person when taking pictures for sports events or street snaps!
You can turn it off, easy too. I've got the FX2 button customised to SR [On/Off]. Tend to turn it of when shooting at higher shutter speeds.

05-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
You can turn it off, easy too. I've got the FX2 button customised to SR [On/Off]. Tend to turn it of when shooting at higher shutter speeds.
Any particular IQ reason or do you just feel it's unnecessary?
05-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Any particular IQ reason or do you just feel it's unnecessary?
It's not necessary at high shutter speeds and I "feel" it may be slightly detrimental to image quality at higher shutter speeds. I have no scientific proof of this, just a hunch and hence the quick option to turn it off.

It is incredible at low shutter speeds, even down to 1/5th of a second.
05-19-2016, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

One shouldn't use SR in action/sports photography unless you know what you are doing.

That is you can use it if you hold the camera still, but not if you are moving it around quickly aiming at whatever happens in a quick moving sport. The best you can hope for is that SR shuts down by itself, but if it doesn't it will try to counteract your sudden movements and the result might not be that good.
05-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
One shouldn't use SR in action/sports photography unless you know what you are doing.

That is you can use it if you hold the camera still, but not if you are moving it around quickly aiming at whatever happens in a quick moving sport. The best you can hope for is that SR shuts down by itself, but if it doesn't it will try to counteract your sudden movements and the result might not be that good.
It would be fantastic to see A/B results showing this.
05-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #57

Original Poster

Interesting. I regularly shoot fast moving sports (soccer, hockey) and never shut off my SR (because frankly it sucks when I expect it on later and it isn't). I've never noticed any issues with it being on what-so-ever.
05-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Interesting. I regularly shoot fast moving sports (soccer, hockey) and never shut off my SR (because frankly it sucks when I expect it on later and it isn't). I've never noticed any issues with it being on what-so-ever.
If you move around quick enough the SR shuts off automagically, or perhaps your shutter speed is so short that it doesn't matter what SR do.

But why not check the exif data of those action shots to see if SR where actually used. Could be interesting.
05-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you move around quick enough the SR shuts off automagically, or perhaps your shutter speed is so short that it doesn't matter what SR do.

But why not check the exif data of those action shots to see if SR where actually used. Could be interesting.
Do you have any concrete examples where you can show you shouldn't or is this all theory?
05-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #60

Original Poster
Because I don't see it as an issue in my shooting, so no desire to go back over previous EXIFs just for the exercise. It all works as intended as far as I can tell.