Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 10:46 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samples with the K-1 and the D FA 150-450, RAW download

I took the K-1/D FA 150-450mm combo for a spin today. I'm quite impressed with the results which are all hand held. It's a darn heavy lens and it is not really possible to hold it steady, at least not for me , but the K-1 shake reduction worked its wonders.

All three images are based on the jpgs out of camera with default settings, with some mid-tone contrast added in Photoshop. The photo of the sparrow also got a levels adjustment to compensate for the grey look that the rainy weather induced.

Data as follows:

Close-up of the lion: 410mm, 1/350s, F6.7, ISO 200
2nd photo of the lion: 270mm, 1/250s, F8, ISO100
The sparrow: 450mm, 1/350s, F8, ISO 800. This image has been cropped as attached below

AF.S, center point in all cases.

Links to the raw files and to full size jpgs (with pp adjustment as mentioned above):

Close-up of the lion: dng | jpg
2nd photo of the lion: dng | jpg
The sparrow: dng | jpg (uncropped)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your post.
I have been wanting to hear about the SR on the K-1 (along with AF, AF tracking etc etc). I shoot with the K-3 II + 150-450 + 1.4xTC, mostly handheld, and any improvement in the SR in the K-1 will be helpful.

Cheers,
Terry
05-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Thanks for your post.
I have been wanting to hear about the SR on the K-1 (along with AF, AF tracking etc etc). I shoot with the K-3 II + 150-450 + 1.4xTC, mostly handheld, and any improvement in the SR in the K-1 will be helpful.

Cheers,
Terry
The SR seems to be really effective. The fact that it's at least as good as previous models' SR given the doubling of the sensor size is impressive.

The AF is pretty good. I've found the addition of the 3 extra points to either side of the 3x3 grid to be helpful while in SEL-3 (9-point) mode. Tracking-wise the camera is an improvement over previous Pentax models, but in my opinion the behavior is not quite as refined as the AF in comparable Canikon models. For predictive AF, the K-1 could do with a more points at higher density.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After downloading the sparrow and magnifying to 200% I am impressed with the results. A big factor for me regarding my next camera will be AF performance, both speed and tracking. If Adam's "not quite as refined as the AF in comparable Canikon models" means it is pretty close to the competitors then I feel better about investing in additional Pentax products. I feel I have a long way to go before my photography is limited by my Pentax camera except when it comes to AF performance for wildlife photography. I am looking forward to the review in the Pentax Forum. There are no lenses that fit a Pentax camera that rival the high performance Telephotos from Nikon and Canon so some of the difference in AF performance is attributable to the lenses. However a significant improvement in AF performance over the K3 is needed. It seems the newer Pentax lenses (70-200 and 150-450) offer better performing focus motors than previous Pentax offerings. It would be great to compare AF performance using the same lens design - say a Sigma 70-200 on Pentax and Nikon, to gauge the difference in AF performance between cameras. If Pentax is getting close then a K1 would be a good investment for me and I would wait patiently for the K3 follow on camera.

---------- Post added 05-19-16 at 06:10 PM ----------

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 05-19-2016 at 03:12 PM.