Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is k1 pics are softer than usual?

K1 users did you experience any issues regarding soft pictures at every mode except for PS. I am asking that because the dpr samples are not promising at all.
And please don't describe this as a troll thread..I will receive mine next week.

05-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I am asking that because the dpr samples are not promising at all.

I think that if you look at " ANY " of the K-1 photographs posted on this site, softness is not an issue.
05-07-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

K1 users did you experience any issues regarding soft pictures at every mode except for PS. I am asking that because the dpr samples are not promising at all.
And please don't describe this as a troll thread..I will receive mine next week.

Hi Zmohie

Download the raw files here and play with them.

Pentax K-1 Review: First Shots - Samples
05-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Plenty of pictures that people have posted on all kinds of lenses, Zmohie ... you should spend the time looking at them, and thanking them for their shots.

05-07-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Soft? Certainly not The IQ is nothing short of exceptional, as we've come to expect of the 36MP sensor.

If there's anything to complain about it's the JPEG engine. I find that it's just a tad noisier than it ought to be, especially when compared to the stellar RAW output (and say Nikon D800 JPEGs). Then again, this is pretty consistent with previous Pentax models.

The 3rd shot is a 100% crop of the 2nd.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

dp review had both a de-centred lens on the k1 and had used a default ACR profile for the d810 that applied sharpening. Imaging resource has comparisons for the K1 that don't show any problem.
05-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

As posted here, the FA-77 which the test was shot with was decentered or faulty. The picture indeed looks like it was shot through some kind of milky or hazy glas. Thats why their staff has a new copy on the way, to redo the testing. however i believe it would be better to shoot this picture with the 100mm macro..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/320346-dpr-pixel-shift-comparison.html

edit:

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
and had used a default ACR profile for the d810
haha is that really the case? I mean the nikon file looks nothing short of stunning and i was really wowed by the resolution and color accuracy. However also with the image resource test, i kind of have to admit that i like the d810 shot better at pixel level, but then of course i havent really downloaded the files and havent had any real look at those myself. Im pretty sure Adam will do an extensive testing with those two cameras side by side
05-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

One of the problems is, is that DPR isn't consistent with their testing. Different lenses on different cameras. Better us the sigma 70mm macro which is available in every mount.

05-07-2016, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
One of the problems is, is that DPR isn't consistent with their testing. Different lenses on different cameras. Better us the sigma 70mm macro which is available in every mount.
Well, it's DPR.

The reviews here are much better, and the quality of the discussions much higher - even with Rupert's shots everywhere!

His squirrels make more sense than some of the DPR threads I've come across.☺

Last edited by clackers; 05-07-2016 at 04:45 AM.
05-07-2016, 04:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks to all.
thanks Adam the first shot is realy amazing!
now i will take a deep breath and reassured my heart!!!
05-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #11

I've owned a Nikon d810 and its a stellar camera but not without its faults. You should look at a camera as a sum of its parts. Coming second to a d810 is nothing to be ashamed of consider that the d810 gave the 645Z a run for its money.
05-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think dpr stuff have updated the k1 studio samples .
05-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
Marketplace Reseller

Have just had it for a day, but I have found it to be easily as sharp as the K-3 at the per-pixel level. And the dynamic range and noise are sooooo much better. ISO3200 shots look like ISO400 shots on the K-3.

And weren't the initial K-3 shots taken on a cheapie A or M 50mm f/2? A nice inexpensive prime for it's day, but it's certainly not a world-beater.
05-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #14

As my initial personal opinion- I also found the D810 images using the 'comparometer' at Imaging Resource to be notably sharper than the K-5. However, as I understand this tool uses the JPEG image and is therefore influenced by in-camera processing. I also believe that JPEG in-camera processing can potentially be updated sometime in the future by release of firmware if Pentax should choose to do so. And in this case I hope that Pentax may choose to do so.

Since I shoot RAW and process any JPEGs out-of-camera the only fair way for me to compare will be with RAW files. Unfortunately, the Nikon files are not available in a convenient open DNG format

PS- but thank you once again Pentax
05-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
CDW
Veteran Member

Looking closely at the D810 RAW file on DPR, some of the 'detail' I see in the area of the etching and the currency is moire. The D810 file seems to have far more moire artifacts than the 645Z or the K1 (in either Standard or Pixel Shift mode). If you compare the K1 and the Phase IQ 180 files, the K1 is a match. I can see the K1 becoming a sales success in the area of studio and architectural photography, as well as landscape work.