Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I presume the Image Sync app for wifi control is available for iOS and Android phones/tablets but not for Windows laptops? I don't own an iPad. I have a 7" Android tablet that might work ok but would much rather see the images on a 13" laptop or even a 24" display connected to the laptop, which is why I think the wired tethering is what I want. With my eyesight bigger is better. Today when I'm shooting in the studio with my K-3 I make a bunch of shots, use the K-3 LCD to see if I got focus right (I can't always tell on the K-3 LCD even when zoomed to 100%) then transfer the SD card to the computer to view the images. On the large computer screen I can easily check focus and can also see issues with composition (such as things not precisely lined up, errant shadows, etc.) that are easy to overlook on a small screen. I'm hoping either the wired or wireless tethering will let me see the raw or jpg image on the computer screen quickly after making the shot just like my Canon and Nikon buddies have been able to do for years.

05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #17

A simple alternative to wired tethering would be an HDMI cable and a direct connection to a monitor/TV with an HMDI input. The camera is capable of producing a "full HD" image (1920x1080), and there are rather slim HDMI cables on the market, especially when equipped with the necessary "micro HDMI" plug on one end.

Thus you'll get Live View output directly to that monitor/TV ...

--

Edit:

A "Micro HDMI" plug is also called an "HDMI type D" connector.

Last edited by funktionsfrei; 05-09-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: updated plug type information
05-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
not for Windows laptops?
There are Android emulators that will run on Windows, but IIRC Image Sync transmits the preview image in a size suitable for a mobile device and upscaling that image on your laptop is not going to give you more detail. Larger images take longer to transmit, which introduces more lag between what your camera sees and what your mobile device sees. USB 2.0 connections are going to be much faster than a wireless connection from your K-1. For speed and resolution, you really want to wait for the LR tethering plug-in using a USB cable to connect your camera to your computer.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
A simple alternative to wired tethering would be an HDMI cable and a direct connection to a monitor/TV with an HMDI input.
This is a good suggestion, but tethering also allows you to send commands to the camera over the connection. If you are able to change your camera's settings by hand (literally) while watching the monitor, an HDMI cable is definitely a good solution. In my opinion, the capability to change camera settings without touching the camera is the only reason to use wireless tethering. Wireless tethering is a very inefficient way to transfer RAW files.
05-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
There are Android emulators that will run on Windows, but IIRC Image Sync transmits the preview image in a size suitable for a mobile device and upscaling that image on your laptop is not going to give you more detail. Larger images take longer to transmit, which introduces more lag between what your camera sees and what your mobile device sees. USB 2.0 connections are going to be much faster than a wireless connection from your K-1. For speed and resolution, you really want to wait for the LR tethering plug-in using a USB cable to connect your camera to your computer.
That's what I figured which is why I started by asking about USB tethering. I don't mind waiting a bit (10 seconds? just guessing) to see the image as it would still be much faster and more convenient than the card shuffling I have to do now. I would also be ok with just transferring jpgs during the shooting phase if raw transfer is too slow, and uploading the raw files later when I'm ready to edit. I'm hoping Adam can provide a full review of all the capabilities and how fast and reliable it is once it's available. I don't even own a K-1 yet but will likely get one around September if the tethering looks like it will work for me.

QuoteQuote:
This is a good suggestion, but tethering also allows you to send commands to the camera over the connection. If you are able to change your camera's settings by hand (literally) while watching the monitor, an HDMI cable is definitely a good solution. In my opinion, the capability to change camera settings without touching the camera is the only reason to use wireless tethering. Wireless tethering is a very inefficient way to transfer RAW files.
I do a lot of self portraiture so part of what I want is to be able to see live view from my position in the scene, and then chimp the image without having to leave where I'm sitting/standing. Which brings up another feature. Sometimes I want to be able to trigger the shutter on a time delay from a remote - standard remote triggering rather than through the app. Sometimes I may be able to easily reach off screen to hit a key on a laptop, but depending on the composition that may not be feasible so the IR remote would work better. Seems like when I was playing with the Flu card a year or so ago I couldn't do timed shutter release.

05-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sometimes I want to be able to trigger the shutter on a time delay from a remote - standard remote triggering rather than through the app. Sometimes I may be able to easily reach off screen to hit a key on a laptop, but depending on the composition that may not be feasible so the IR remote would work better. Seems like when I was playing with the Flu card a year or so ago I couldn't do timed shutter release.
There are some Android apps that work as IR remotes if you have a tablet/phone with an IR emitter. That might work, too...

-Eric
05-09-2016, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Windows + Remix OS + Image Sync surprisingly usable

Just out of interest, I thought I'd try to get Image Sync working on a bigger (than my phone) screen. I found a very polished v5 Androidx86 based USB bootable release called Remix OS which I slotted into a 9 y/o Core2 Duo Dell that we still have for some reason. Remix OS worked perfectly with fully functional multi / dockable windows and the full Google Play store. The Dell has 4GB RAM and 15" 1680x1050 screen too so far better than size wise than my 6" phone! Image Sync installed in a flash and connected to the camera straight away. With the OS windows control I set Image Sync to run full screen and though the live view itself didn't fill the screen, it was about 9" and with good res. Camera response was fast and accepted control and AF changes instantly. Image transfer was as good as it can be over WiFi, about 8-9sec for a 50mb file.

I use Lightroom Mobile which picked up the pics instantly and was pleasantly surprised to find out it can already process K-1 DNG's like it's big brother. The 15" screen made LR much better to work with than a 10" tablet. And since LR Mobile syncs with LR on my desktop it's makes for a practical workflow.

The OS is free, as is Image Sync and the laptop is barely worth $100 so I'd say this is not half-bad (limited) alternative to proper tethering!

The is pic from my K-1, taking a pic of taking a pic of itself

05-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I presume the Image Sync app for wifi control is available for iOS and Android phones/tablets but not for Windows laptops? I don't own an iPad. I have a 7" Android tablet that might work ok but would much rather see the images on a 13" laptop or even a 24" display connected to the laptop, which is why I think the wired tethering is what I want.

Then you can buy the dedicated Image Transmitter tethering program, designed originally for the 645Z.

Or wait for the free Lightroom plug-in, if you use LR.
05-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enigmaticca Quote
I found a very polished v5 Androidx86 based USB bootable release called Remix OS which I slotted into a 9 y/o Core2 Duo Dell that we still have for some reason. Remix OS worked perfectly...
Clever. I have an old laptop and netbook floating around. I must give Remix a try.

05-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Enigmaticca Quote
Just out of interest, I thought I'd try to get Image Sync working on a bigger (than my phone) screen.
That's pretty cool!
05-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I mentioned it, but I guess I didn't emphasize it, but the FluCard has the benefit over apps in that it uses a web browser. So you can use it to control the camera with any device that can connect to wifi and use a browser. I haven't tried it, but I could probably connect and control my K-3 from my Samsung TV if I wanted to. Pity more camera wifi implementations don't do that.

So with the FluCard you can do macro work from your laptop.
05-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I mentioned it, but I guess I didn't emphasize it, but the FluCard has the benefit over apps in that it uses a web browser. So you can use it to control the camera with any device that can connect to wifi and use a browser. I haven't tried it, but I could probably connect and control my K-3 from my Samsung TV if I wanted to. Pity more camera wifi implementations don't do that.

So with the FluCard you can do macro work from your laptop.

I've got FluCard to consistently work with either Chrome or Safari, not always with other browsers. Still means almost every device should be able to do remote shooting or street subjects can download pics to their phones right after you've done the shots.
05-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've got FluCard to consistently work with either Chrome or Safari, not always with other browsers. Still means almost every device should be able to do remote shooting or street subjects can download pics to their phones right after you've done the shots.
Yeah, that last part is quite nice; forgot about that. Some other camera wifi systems allow for say browsing to download but not control. It's a great way to share when you're out traveling.
05-11-2016, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

I have to believe that after the dust settles, Ricoh/Pentax will go to work on a wifi tethering app for Mac and Windows. All the hooks to make it happen exists in the camera firmware so it's really a matter of coding it. This is an area where Pentax is lagging the competition and it would makes sense for them to make an effort to catch up.
05-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Yeah, that last part is quite nice; forgot about that. Some other camera wifi systems allow for say browsing to download but not control. It's a great way to share when you're out traveling.

Yeah, I think it's much better than carrying a Fuji Instamax to give a candid subject a shot of the session you've had with them.
05-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Wonderful! I can confirm that the latest 1.1 firmware and Image Transmitter 2.2 work perfectly on Mac OS X 10.14 😊😊😊 I can ditch my Canon 700D and use my K-1 for fun and product shots!