Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 tethering

Has anybody used USB tethering with the K-1 yet? How fast is it? How reliable?

05-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
Has anybody used USB tethering with the K-1 yet? How fast is it? How reliable?

My understanding is that it requires an optional software component at a cost of approximately $200. Without the software all you can do is download your pictures.

Wifi tethering seems to work well, it's a simple and useful interface and best of all it's free.
05-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Without the software all you can do is download your pictures.

Download your pictures to PC? Really? And how to...?
05-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Download your pictures to PC? Really? And how to...?
Downloading files is something entirely different from "tethering." I took "tethering" to mean the ability to control the camera over a wire using a computer app including the ability to focus the camera, adjust the composition and acquire the image. That capability is available but requires additional software.

To download the files you simply plug in a usb cable and browse the camera as if it were an attached external disk drive. I haven't yet done it, but I would expect it to be no different than any other Pentax dslr of recent vintage.

05-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Downloading files is something entirely different from "tethering." I took "tethering" to mean the ability to control the camera over a wire using a computer app including the ability to focus the camera, adjust the composition and acquire the image. That capability is available but requires additional software.

To download the files you simply plug in a usb cable and browse the camera as if it were an attached external disk drive. I haven't yet done it, but I would expect it to be no different than any other Pentax dslr of recent vintage.

OK, USB cable. My mistake, I was reading too fast. I hoped for a second or two that you discovered a way how to transfer photos from K-1 to PC via wi-fi connection.
05-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom has a plugin, but I'm assuming that's just for auto importing the images.

Pentax does have an app for the K-1, which allows for shutter control, EV adjustment and few other things. Dunno if it can do stuff like focus on a point you touch on the screen, etc. as one can do with other wifi camera apps.

Together Lr and the Image Sync might make some basic tethered shooting possible.
05-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

At the end of may the plugin for tethering the K-1 with Lightroom will be available.

As of now tethering can be done via wifi with a smartphone.
05-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm hoping it will be possible to use a laptop in the studio to focus using a large screen, control basic exposure settings, fire the shutter, and review the final image in Lightroom without having to shuffle SD cards. I watched a photographer do all this with an older Canon last year and have been waiting impatiently for Pentax to catch up.

05-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-1 Lightroom plugin will be downloadable by the end of May. Not long to wait:

PENTAX Tethered Capture Plug-in for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® ?Simple Version?: Plug-in to enhance commercial photo shooting, updated to Ver.1.1.0 to accommodate the PENTAX K-1?RICOH IMAGING
05-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
I'm hoping it will be possible to use a laptop in the studio to focus using a large screen, control basic exposure settings, fire the shutter, and review the final image in Lightroom without having to shuffle SD cards. I watched a photographer do all this with an older Canon last year and have been waiting impatiently for Pentax to catch up.
Just do most of this on your iPad until the plug-in's release. ☺
05-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Lightroom has a plugin, but I'm assuming that's just for auto importing the images.

Pentax does have an app for the K-1, which allows for shutter control, EV adjustment and few other things. Dunno if it can do stuff like focus on a point you touch on the screen, etc. as one can do with other wifi camera apps.

Together Lr and the Image Sync might make some basic tethered shooting possible.
Tried out "Image Sync" app on an iPad. It is more capable than I expected. You can move the focus point on the screen and you have control of shutter, aperture, iso, ev, and white balance. These vary with the mode you you select. I believe you can see all of the pictures on the memory cards as well.
05-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoundPondK1 Quote
Tried out "Image Sync" app on an iPad. It is more capable than I expected. You can move the focus point on the screen and you have control of shutter, aperture, iso, ev, and white balance. These vary with the mode you you select. I believe you can see all of the pictures on the memory cards as well.
Ah, sounds similar to the FluCard. One can't view RAW, but that's not necessary anyway. And you have to set modes, but it's still super useful. And no need for a shutter release. BTW, does it do intervals? Bulb mode with shutter to open, shutter to close? Mirror up? Be nice if someone did a review; I couldn't find much online
05-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Ah, sounds similar to the FluCard. One can't view RAW, but that's not necessary anyway. And you have to set modes, but it's still super useful. And no need for a shutter release. BTW, does it do intervals? Bulb mode with shutter to open, shutter to close? Mirror up? Be nice if someone did a review; I couldn't find much online
The functionality is the same as with the Flucard BUT it is faster, more stable, less lag and the distance between camera and smart device is much, much greater before it starts to loose control. You see the raw images in the app but to share you will need jpg so I shoot RAW+ and put my jpg on the second card in smaller size to share if need be.

With the flucard you could zoom in the "live view" but I have not gotten the app to zoom for me so if anyone know if it is possible I would be happy to know.
05-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The functionality is the same as with the Flucard BUT it is faster, more stable, less lag and the distance between camera and smart device is much, much greater before it starts to loose control. You see the raw images in the app but to share you will need jpg so I shoot RAW+ and put my jpg on the second card in smaller size to share if need be.

With the flucard you could zoom in the "live view" but I have not gotten the app to zoom for me so if anyone know if it is possible I would be happy to know.
By "seeing RAW images in the app" what do you mean? Does it transfer RAW via wifi? I'm not sure I'd ever use that, since it would be slow, but it would be nice to have. And most apps only use JPEG just because sharing from the app is so much easier that way. I wouldn't want to have to shoot RAW+JPEG just to get that.

And I don't suppose that if the app can transfer RAW that it can do any RAW processing? I've often thought that would be killer; you could essentially do the HDR, adjusting, WB, etc etc that otherwise you'd have to do in the camera in the app instead (and in lieu of doing it in say DCU).
05-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

By "seeing RAW images in the app" what do you mean? Does it transfer RAW via wifi? I'm not sure I'd ever use that, since it would be slow, but it would be nice to have. And most apps only use JPEG just because sharing from the app is so much easier that way. I wouldn't want to have to shoot RAW+JPEG just to get that.

And I don't suppose that if the app can transfer RAW that it can do any RAW processing? I've often thought that would be killer; you could essentially do the HDR, adjusting, WB, etc etc that otherwise you'd have to do in the camera in the app instead (and in lieu of doing it in say DCU).
It transfers the RAW but in your smart device you will need an extra app to process it.