Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF vs APS-C Field of View revisited

Now that the K-1 has come out we have some figuring out to do regarding which lenses to take on a trip, given that many of us have become accustomed to the APS-C format and know the field of view of our lenses by heart on our K-3's, 5's, 7's, etc.

The task doesn't get easier when you contemplate to carry, say, a K-3, alongside the K-1, and want to bring just the right lenses. The need to be traveling light must also be taking into account.

You guessed it, I'm planning a trip (to Lofoten, Norway). The K-1 with the D FA 24-70mm is a given, but how do I cover ultra wide angle and long telephoto without getting bogged down with weight?

That's why I thought that it is time to revisit the table below and use that to help me decide. I hope that the table would be helpful to others as well.

For more details on the unfortunate topic of crop factor we have a couple of resources available:

The Crop Factor Unmasked

Field of View Tables

05-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I had a K-1 and had my K-3II to use, I would have my Pentax 16-85 on my K-3II and my Sigma 150-500 DG OS on the K-1. Though in reality I only have a K-3II and K-5IIS, and enjoy having the 24 mp aps-c of the K-3II on my Sigma 150-500. I have the K-5IIS on my Pentax 16-85. Having the K-1 36 mp full frame on the Sigma 150-500 would be an upside for some really impressive shooting in that mode, and the 16 mp would most likely produce very nice results in the aps-c mode, offering a shooter quite a versatile tool. At present though the 24 mp is satisfying my aps-c interest in telephoto.
05-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Now that the K-1 has come out we have some figuring out to do regarding which lenses to take on a trip, given that many of us have become accustomed to the APS-C format and know the field of view of our lenses by heart on our K-3's, 5's, 7's, etc.

The task doesn't get easier when you contemplate to carry, say, a K-3, alongside the K-1, and want to bring just the right lenses. The need to be traveling light must also be taking into account.

You guessed it, I'm planning a trip (to Lofoten, Norway). The K-1 with the D FA 24-70mm is a given, but how do I cover ultra wide angle and long telephoto without getting bogged down with weight?

That's why I thought that it is time to revisit the table below and use that to help me decide. I hope that the table would be helpful to others as well.

For more details on the unfortunate topic of crop factor we have a couple of resources available:

The Crop Factor Unmasked

Field of View Tables
Or you could just look through the viewfinder, Ole! ☺

Hope you get some great shots of fjords.