Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The real contest is who gets the first speck of dust on their full frame sensor!
I spotted one on after having the camera just for one day. Actually it was the spot on the wall.

05-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I actually have a habit of cleaning the sensor and mirror box of a new camera when I get it. After the oil spot issue with the Canon and Nikon DSLRs* I have learned that to expect a camera to be set to my liking and 100% usable out of the box is a bit much to ask of a mass produced piece of electronics. Cleaning the sensor and mirror box, adjusting the settings to suit is all a part of setting up and working with a camera**.

*which incidentally, I thought was blown way out of proportion...I mean, a class action lawsuit over oil spots on a DSLR sensor? really?
** When you buy a new grand piano and move it to your house, you still have to have it tuned as the stresses on the iron frame will shift: this is a normal part of owning a finely crafted instrument.
05-13-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

The real contest is who gets the first speck of dust on their full frame sensor!

I win..... (lower left....swallow got it's then I got mine....)

Dust spot
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr
05-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
regarding sensor cleaning, any tips? I have sensor swabs, but I don't know how hard I can apply them to the sensor. It seems like I have two spots that are always there no matter how I clean .

05-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
It seems like I have two spots that are always there no matter how I clean .
It is important to remember that the spots on the sensor will be inverted from where they appear in the image. I use and recommend sensor cleaning products from Visible Dust. They may be expensive, but the quality of their products is excellent and they have worked flawlessly for me.
05-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

They may be expensive, but the quality of their products is excellent and they have worked flawlessly for me.
Thanks!
05-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I win..... (lower left....swallow got it's then I got mine....)

Dust spot
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

Is this dust ?
05-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #23

My humble observations:

With the K5 I seldom noticed the battery charge level. I always brought a spare fully charged one, but can't remember I ever had to change during a shooting event.
With the K-1 I need to have heads-up regarding battery, I have exchanged and charged several times since I got the camera two weeks ago. And I haven't done that lot of shooting.

Dust specks: I can't remember I ever had a dust speck on the K5, having dust removal set to "at startup".
With the K-1 I had to remove one with a blower after a few days, and yesterday I discovered two again. Only one of them disappeared with dust removal (also set to "at startup" but I did it manually via the menu anyway), so I'll have to use the blower today again. It might be just accidental (lots of pollen in the air right now), but I wonder...

Kjell

05-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
My humble observations:

With the K5 I seldom noticed the battery charge level. I always brought a spare fully charged one, but can't remember I ever had to change during a shooting event.
With the K-1 I need to have heads-up regarding battery, I have exchanged and charged several times since I got the camera two weeks ago. And I haven't done that lot of shooting.
Several times in two weeks and not a lot of shooting. It sounds like the power consumption is pretty high. An increased consumption is expected due to heavier sensor and a larger amount of data per picture, but still.

And of course It also depends on shooting style, as in using a lot of live view and reviewing, in camera processing, AF heavy lenses and so on. And the new idea of floating the sensor while half pressing will also drain the battery faster.
05-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #25

Apparently, some constant power drain is to be expected due to the LCD overlay in the viewfinder, which is permanently powered, as long as a battery is present, even with the power switch turned off.

This is necessary, because without constantly powering the LCD, the viewfinder would get several f-stops darker. You can check the effect, just drop out the battery and peek through the viewfinder.

Another constant power drain is the real time clock in the camera's body, but this isn't new, this is present in every digital camera, and the power needed by that is so low that you can remove the battery for several days without the need to re-set date and time upon battery re-insertion.
05-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #26

I put a fully charged battery from the K-01 in the K-1 when I got it 9 days ago. Yesterday the battery icon turned red and I swapped the battery out for the first time.

At that point I had taken roughly 450 shots, some of those with liveview, some with pixel shift, played around the the settings, tried the gps and wifi, and generally got to know the camera. After about 200 shots I had also inserted a second SD card and set the camera to raw+jpeg, split over the cards. I also, for now, have all the lens corrections turned on.

So getting to 450 on one charge while using all the bells and whistles, seemed pretty darn good to me.
05-15-2016, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Dunno about the batteries, but I recently emptied my bank account. Didn't take very long.
05-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Apparently, some constant power drain is to be expected due to the LCD overlay in the viewfinder, which is permanently powered, as long as a battery is present, even with the power switch turned off.

This is necessary, because without constantly powering the LCD, the viewfinder would get several f-stops darker. You can check the effect, just drop out the battery and peek through the viewfinder.

Another constant power drain is the real time clock in the camera's body, but this isn't new, this is present in every digital camera, and the power needed by that is so low that you can remove the battery for several days without the need to re-set date and time upon battery re-insertion.
Date/time functions are not powered by the main battery they're powered by a tiny, separate Li-on soldered battery on the pcb and power consumption is small by orders of magnitude. Eventually all of these will fail (I've seen some K10s and even K7 models giving up) and will require service to replace (if possible at that time). All other camera settings and memory retention is done by writing to non-volatile flash memory ("flashing" firmware, etc.) and doesn't require power except when being written to. The big, accessible, rechargeable handles the rest of the power needs.
05-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #29
Site Supporter

In a bout 2 days 300-500 shots,reviewing etc.. my K3II lasted much longer..but only 2nd full charge now,so hope it gets better..using mostly DA*300 & DFA 150-450