Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 02:27 AM   #1

Who has emptied their battery, and how long did it take?

I spent all day yesterday shooting a baptism reception and the battery is still at full bars. I'm wondering if anyone has drained the battery and how long it's taken - my K5ii tended to show high battery levels for ages and then drop like a stone, so I'm not sure how it's holding up.

Last edited by Whateverist; 05-08-2016 at 02:38 AM.
05-08-2016, 02:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My battery is still full since 4th May after it was charged overnight on 3rd May.
05-08-2016, 03:13 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
I spent all day yesterday shooting a baptism reception and the battery is still at full bars. I'm wondering if anyone has drained the battery and how long it's taken - my K5ii tended to show high battery levels for ages and then drop like a stone, so I'm not sure how it's holding up.
If you're not using flash, expect it to last more than twice the rated, with average display usage.
ISO constantly above 400 will be felt. Live view even more.
That sudden drop is present since, at least, the K10, and basically means around 400 left, with minimum display usage. Use flash or live view and you get low double digit count.
I've had mine shutdown during shooting, but didn't get bad files. Won't risk it again though. If you want to drain it, flash or live view, although I've heard prolonged live view isn't good for the sensor, hence the temperature reading when shooting video. That came along with stories of burnt Sony sensors...
Forgetting to turn power save back on will also help draining it
05-08-2016, 04:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the rules with batteries are: 1) they last longer than you'd think; 2) they only go dead when the best or most important image opportunities arise. I carry two extras, just in case I replaced one that ran out sometime back, then forgot to take it out of the camera bag for recharging.

05-08-2016, 05:01 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
If you're not using flash
How would flash usage change the battery life, given that the K-1 has no built-in flash?
05-08-2016, 05:19 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
My batteries always seem to last for ever and I'm expecting the K1 to be no different, especially when I run a grip with a second battery in it. Now I can even also use batteries too if I get stuck with the K1 grip... couldn't do that with K20Ds.

But I'm not a "fair usage" person to judge by... as I'm on metering with it, as I'm manual focus only.
05-08-2016, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first bar ~ clicks
The second bar 50 clicks
The third bar n-1 clicks, where n = number of clicks needed to finish.

05-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
2) they only go dead when the best or most important image opportunities arise.
haha, well said
05-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot my K-5 almost every day, often using Live View but only rarely using flash. I deplete and recharge the battery every three weeks or so. I carry a spare, because two is one, and one is none.
05-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
How would flash usage change the battery life, given that the K-1 has no built-in flash?
External flash using P-TTL will drain the battery. At least in my experience.

I've started using Cactus V6s and RF60s (on K-3) and notice the battery doesn't deplete as fast.
05-12-2016, 04:33 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote

Thanks for answering the OP's question about battery duration and bar indicator accuracy
05-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Thanks for answering the OP's question about battery duration and bar indicator accuracy
Not sure why you're picking out this comment, but the poster was asking about the reference to the flash in a previous post. Seems like a valid question.

The battery went to 2 bars after the weekend. Panic set in.
05-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
Unregistered User

Using the GPS for tracking when out shooting almost sucked the battery dry after 9 hours and 600 frames.
Without the GPS I find it to last just a little bit shorter than the K-3. I.e it is not the power hog I expected.
05-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
Not sure why you're picking out this comment, but the poster was asking about the reference to the flash in a previous post. Seems like a valid question.

Because it wasn't a question.
05-13-2016, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The real contest is who gets the first speck of dust on their full frame sensor!