Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Power zoom working on the K-1

And I would prefer it not to... It is slightly annoying since I'm used to be able to lock the zoom with moving it to power zoom, and it's deeply set in muscle memory! Unable to find it in the menu, anyone knows uf it is possible?

05-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which lens are you using and how is its behavior different than with your past Pentax camera(s)? I am pretty sure that partial power zoom support (motorized zoom ring and auto-retract) has been a feature of flagship model dSLR bodies since at least the K10D. I am not sure, but I believe that the feature cannot be turned off on the body.

Steve
05-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I believe there is a debug menu trick to disable the SDM in certain lenses, essentially converting them to screwdrive focus. You might be able to disable power zoom using the same trick. It's a software solution and completely reversible, the only question is whether or not it will work.

There is another way, you could put electrical tape on the powerzoom contacts of your lens. This will definitely stop powerzoom from working, but I would be worried that in the long term you might gunk up your lens or your camera, so I would try the first solution before moving on to this one.
05-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which lens are you using and how is its behavior different than with your past Pentax camera(s)? I am pretty sure that partial power zoom support (motorized zoom ring and auto-retract) has been a feature of flagship model dSLR bodies since at least the K10D. I am not sure, but I believe that the feature cannot be turned off on the body.

Steve
I took the natural step from the best pentax aps-c dslr ever made to the best full frame dslr... That means from the K-30 to the K-1. There are a few minor improvements on the K-1 and best of all, button placement is mosty the same! Although the K-30 still has the K-1 beaten in a few areas.

05-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K-30 is not a "flagship" model. Those would be the K-5 or K-3 contemporary with the K-30.

Perhaps someone with a K-5/K-3 can confirm how power zoom is handled on these bodies.

Knowing the model of your lens might help too.

Reading the K-30 manual Page 255 Functions Available with Various Lens Combinations:
Under Lens Type FA and FA J - Power Zoom - not available
Page 256 - Note that this camera is not equipped with a power zoom function.
Page 270 (Trouble shooting):
Problem: The power zoom system does not work
Cause: The camera does not have a power zoom function
Solutions: Use manual zoom.

English version of K-1 manual page 108 Functions Available with Various Lenses:
Under FA and FA J Type lenses - Power Zoom - Restricted the auto zoom and preset zoom are disabled.

Since auto and preset zoom is disabled on the K-1 perhaps setting the zoom switch on the lens to A or P will disable power zoom altogether.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-08-2016 at 11:08 AM.
05-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The motorized zoom ring on my FA* 80-200 f2.8 works with my K-3.
05-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Perhaps someone with a K-5/K-3 can confirm how power zoom is handled on these bodies.
Under FA and FA J Type lenses - Power Zoom - Restricted the auto zoom and preset zoom are disabled.
PF member @Ole published a summary of power zoom features including what is supported on which dSLR bodies.*

Pentax Lens Power Zoom

It sounds like a very cool feature on the film cameras that offer full support.

Steve

* From what I can tell, the K-3 user manual is incorrect in regards to power zoom support.
05-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
The K-30 is not a "flagship" model. Those would be the K-5 or K-3 contemporary with the K-30.

Knowing the model of your lens might help too.

Reading the K-30 manual Page 255 Functions Available with Various Lens Combinations:
Under Lens Type FA and FA J - Power Zoom - not available
Page 256 - Note that this camera is not equipped with a power zoom function.
Page 270 (Trouble shooting):
Problem: The power zoom system does not work
Cause: The camera does not have a power zoom function
Solutions: Use manual zoom.

English version of K-1 manual page 108 Functions Available with Various Lenses:

Since auto and preset zoom is disabled on the K-1 perhaps setting the zoom switch on the lens to A or P will disable power zoom altogether.

Not that I understand why knowing the model will help, but it is a FA* 28-70mm F2.8 lens. Switching PZ mode does not help, it still functions. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get used not to "lock" it any more. And regarding the "flagship nonsense... K-30 is not a flagship model, It was THE flagship model

05-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
Not that I understand why knowing the model will help, but it is a FA* 28-70mm F2.8 lens.
So that other people who own the same lens might add their secret knowledge. By "lock" is it safe to assume that you are engaging the power zoom clutch? If so, the answer is to not do that!

Steve
05-08-2016, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

As stevebrot says there maybe some quirk to the individual lenses that others know about. Knowing the lens models as can help others isolate whether the problem is with a lens model, the camera or the individual (your) lens. If you want help you have to help us help you.

It's a moot point as the K-30 doesn't support power zoom at all so it can't be turned on or off. The K-1 as well as all the other high-end or flagship models do support at least power zoom and power retract at shut down. There is no option in the menus to disable power zoom. None of the DA or D FA lenses have power zoom as the power contacts are used (where applicable) for driving the SDM auto-focus. As mentioned earlier it might be possible to disable power zoom in the debug mode - once someone publishes how to enter the debug mode on the K-1 someone can give it a shot. Or you can add a feature request in the K-1 firmware wishlist thread.

The high-end models (price-wise) are considered the flagship models.

Consider the MSRPs at introduction (body-only):
K-5 (2010) @ $1599.95 USD
K-30 (May 2012) @ $849.95 USD
K-5ii (Sept 2012) @ $1299.95 USD

The high-end models have more features and higher specs, while lacking some features in respect to the lower priced models.
For example the K-5/K-5ii have an EV bar viewfinder function for manual mode metering with non-A lenses. On the K-30 you use the green button. The K-5 series has a max ISO of 51200 vs 25600 on the K-30. The K-30 doesn't have an optional battery grip, and so forth.

Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
05-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 power zoom (basic function only) worked when I had the FA* 80-200.
06-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #12

The K-30 is not a "flagship" model.
Absolutely. Only flagship models are build of metal, use the high capacity D-LI90 battery and and have the larger viewfinder.
(Pentax K-3 vs K-30 - Our Analysis)

I'd have the PZ lenses FA 28-80mm and FA 100-300mm. Booth did work on my K-5 with motorized zoom and lens retraction (since they're without internal zooming).
(Pentax Lens Power Zoom)
06-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

And regarding the "flagship nonsense... K-30 is not a flagship model, It was THE flagship model
Uhm, No, it wasn't. K-30 was a K-01 with a viewfinder and mirror added and Speed Racer styling.

IOW K-30 was the consumer mid-range model at the time it was released.
06-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhm, No, it wasn't. K-30 was a K-01 with a viewfinder and mirror added and Speed Racer styling.

IOW K-30 was the consumer mid-range model at the time it was released.
I know, it was something called a sarcasm, but the K-30 was awesome performance for money, and the hardware was competitive concidering the k-50 was the same camera. With that said, the flagship model!
06-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I know, it was something called a sarcasm, but the K-30 was awesome performance for money, and the hardware was competitive concidering the k-50 was the same camera. With that said, the flagship model!
No, it wasn't sarcasm.

K-01 was the test bed for the brand new technology inside the K-30. LiveView; new, smaller Shake Reduction assembly, miniaturized electronics, Prime M imaging engine. K-01 FW Update 1.1 improved the AF, which came as OEM FW on K-30, etc. K-01 was a success in that regard, but a questionable body design and marketing campaign. K-01 is actually a really nice camera.*

K-30 has the mid-range control set (buttons and dials) and logic, 12-bit color depth, and features.

K-5 (current when K-30 was released) and K-5ll (10/2012) were the flagships.

* as is a K-30, naturally