Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 04:27 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Pixel Shift on the K-1

Hello everyone!

I have found that there will be some artefacts in the image even if using PS with motion detection when processing in camera but not when processing in the Pentax software on a computer. Do not know why but I have seen it in all my images.

Anyone else?

05-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #2

Care to share a screen shot of the artifacts?
05-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Limited processing power internally in the camera.

The software on the PC can do a much better job of processing the image.
05-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
Care to share a screen shot of the artifacts?
No at the moment, there are plenty images on the forum/net showing how the artefacts look. It is a kind of criss cross pattern.

On the bottom of the page you can see how it looks, more or less.

Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews

05-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

I would guess it is either limitation of the processing power of the camera or the version of the algorithms in the DCU have not yet been incorporated into the firmware.
05-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Perhaps ”someone” could do a test with PS and raw+jpeg shoot at a partially moving scene, and then compare the in camera jpg with the off camera developed jpeg?
05-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Perhaps ”someone” could do a test with PS and raw+jpeg shoot at a partially moving scene, and then compare the in camera jpg with the off camera developed jpeg?
That is exactly what I did and how I found this "bug".

Hopefully "someone" can do it aswell to confirm my findings.

05-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Unregistered User

So I did a new test today. To subjects and both without any wind. I shot one normal and one PS MC ON. Developed in Camera, in Adobe Camera RAW and in Pentax DCU with and without motion detection. This time there were no artefacts in any of the images. I found that all of the images with PS in any kind was superior to without. What I did not get before was Adobe this time got the most out of the images. The time before it was DCU. I still do not know how to work with DCU and in Camera RAW I have a basic sharpening so this is probably why the differed so much in detail. Anyway, all images made on the computer were sharper/ more detailed than the in camera developed images WHEN it came to one subject. The other the in camera was sharper than DCU but less sharp than Adobe........

This will be a nightmare to use if it differs depending on the image... Making three versions everytime, In camera, Adobe and DCU

What I can say is that I guess I need to refine my testing and learn DCU before I can tell the truth.

I hope someone else also helps out so that we can learn how this works so that we can get the most out of it.

Signing of for today.
05-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

DCU in the RAW Laboratory has on the Image menu
Pixel Shift Resolution with the following options
  • Camera setting (default)
  • Off
  • Motion Correction Off
  • Motion Correction On

I don't have a RAW file with motion captured to test the difference between MC On vs MC Off but you can definitely see a difference between Off vs the others on static scenes.

You might play with these settings to see what effect the have.
05-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
DCU in the RAW Laboratory has on the Image menu
Pixel Shift Resolution with the following options
  • Camera setting (default)
  • Off
  • Motion Correction Off
  • Motion Correction On

I don't have a RAW file with motion captured to test the difference between MC On vs MC Off but you can definitely see a difference between Off vs the others on static scenes.

You might play with these settings to see what effect the have.
Those are the setting I have used when in DCU, saved to three different jpegs.
05-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
Forum Member

I don't understand - how are you processing pixel shift images on computer, when the camera is automatically combining the images and only outputting it's final result?

Thanks
05-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Those are the setting I have used when in DCU, saved to three different jpegs.
How to those setting react with the camera settings? e.g. set camera to PS MC off. Process MC on vs MC off in DCU etc.
05-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
I don't understand - how are you processing pixel shift images on computer, when the camera is automatically combining the images and only outputting it's final result?

Thanks
HI Penfred,
I'm copying and pasting from a response I left in another thread out of laziness, but I hope it helps you. I was curious about the same thing. Thinking the camera combines the 4 images, and then using say Adobe Camera Raw to process the one DNG file would give the full benefits of PS Res. It appears, at least right now to get the full effect one needs to run the dng through DCU 5 and click on a pixel shift option.

Here's my other response:

Somewhat formal test ... enough for me anyway. Mirror up. Motion Correction off . Tripod . Remote Release.

I was thinking/hoping I would be able to see the full benefit of PS resolution by processing through Adobe Camera Raw (up to date) . When I compared a ps res. image to a non ps shift res. image there was only a small difference (marginal..10% ?) between the two dng files . But, tonight I decided to install DCU5 and run the ps res. dng through it to see what difference it would make, and it is the difference that I was expecting...significant. It comes pretty close to a 645z file of the same scene, also shot under the same conditions. PS resolution is really impressive.

By the way the DCU 5 interface is quite busy, though given a few minutes I was able to minimally figure out how to process the raw. I did not see a way to combine 4 images from the one dng file, but if you shoot with PS res. on and then tell DCU5 that it is a PS image it re-processes the file and results in the more detailed image.

Hope that may help someones wondering about the processing. I was questioning the same thing.
05-11-2016, 02:42 AM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote

Thanks
If you output to jpeg the image is final. If you output to a RAW this file is 4 times larger than an ordinarie RAW file, i.e 175 MB instead of 45 MB.
The 4 images taken are saved in one file so that you in post can edit with the full potential of RAW.

Depending on the software you will get different results. I have sometimes gotten better results from using Adobe and sometimes when using DCU.
I am still in the process of understanding the inner workings of this feature to get the most out of it.
05-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurker56 Quote
HI Penfred,
I'm copying and pasting from a response I left in another thread out of laziness, but I hope it helps you. I was curious about the same thing. Thinking the camera combines the 4 images, and then using say Adobe Camera Raw to process the one DNG file would give the full benefits of PS Res. It appears, at least right now to get the full effect one needs to run the dng through DCU 5 and click on a pixel shift option.

Here's my other response:

Somewhat formal test ... enough for me anyway. Mirror up. Motion Correction off . Tripod . Remote Release.

I was thinking/hoping I would be able to see the full benefit of PS resolution by processing through Adobe Camera Raw (up to date) . When I compared a ps res. image to a non ps shift res. image there was only a small difference (marginal..10% ?) between the two dng files . But, tonight I decided to install DCU5 and run the ps res. dng through it to see what difference it would make, and it is the difference that I was expecting...significant. It comes pretty close to a 645z file of the same scene, also shot under the same conditions. PS resolution is really impressive.

By the way the DCU 5 interface is quite busy, though given a few minutes I was able to minimally figure out how to process the raw. I did not see a way to combine 4 images from the one dng file, but if you shoot with PS res. on and then tell DCU5 that it is a PS image it re-processes the file and results in the more detailed image.

Hope that may help someones wondering about the processing. I was questioning the same thing.
Thanks much guys. I suspect the effect may depend a great deal on the image(s) taken and the lens used, but at least now I see how to process it in DCU. LR6CC still seems to get colors wrong on some shots (indoors).