Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I often have to de-saturate reds and yellows when shooting photos with my K10D, KX or my K7. Those two colors seem to smudge to the point that detail is lost. I de-saturate to get that detail back. Hoping the K1 I now have will do better.

05-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thank you All!

Hopefully we will see some day a beautiful shot of Dark red Roses by K1, if not in this thread but in the other life...

May Good Shots Be with You! :-)

Amen!
08-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any pictures? Just curios what you have with the K1.
08-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Closest I have in terms of roses:

However, a dark red daylilly:

---------- Post added 08-23-17 at 04:58 PM ----------

Most of my experience with red roses is that the color seems to be especially difficult for the camera to process. (This could just be a deficiency in my own skill, I guess)
The color seems to almost bleed a bit, especially compared to the leaves.

08-23-2017, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Hey, Happy K1 Owners,
Just curious to see your shot of the object described above - Dark red rose.

The one below was taken with K20D; no PP, just a little bit sharpness.

Can K1 do a better job with red?

Thank you!
I did some test shots with reds when I first got the camera, but those were trashed a long time ago. I will setup and shoot some dark red roses soon. The image you post looks a little under exposed which definitely helps keep the red channel from blowing out and bleeding to magenta. The K-1 handles reds better than any other Pentax camera I have had (K-7, K-5, K-3). One of my biggest complaints with my K-3 was that red lipstick would bleed to magenta with just a little over exposure.
08-23-2017, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Just curious to see your shot of the object described above - Dark red rose
Sorry no dark red Roses out at the moment, will this do you in the meantime?

08-23-2017, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Dark Red Rose by K1
Just found this one, which maybe better for you.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Closest I have in terms of roses:

---------- Post added 08-23-17 at 04:58 PM ----------

Most of my experience with red roses is that the color seems to be especially difficult for the camera to process. (This could just be a deficiency in my own skill, I guess)
The color seems to almost bleed a bit, especially compared to the leaves.
thank you for posting...so the issue is the same...red is tough, even for the K1.

---------- Post added 23-08-17 at 20:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just found this one, which maybe better for you.
Thank you for the picture. it was heavily PPed, it is too far from its original look, I assume, I might be wrong. But even after PPing magenta kills beauty of the colors made by mother nature.
This thread is a tricky one, red is tough.

---------- Post added 23-08-17 at 20:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I did some test shots with reds when I first got the camera, but those were trashed a long time ago. I will setup and shoot some dark red roses soon. The image you post looks a little under exposed which definitely helps keep the red channel from blowing out and bleeding to magenta. The K-1 handles reds better than any other Pentax camera I have had (K-7, K-5, K-3). One of my biggest complaints with my K-3 was that red lipstick would bleed to magenta with just a little over exposure.
That is correct. I faced with this issue a while ago and was wondering if Pentax was able to fix this in the K1. It looks like that the issue is still there. You are right, red does not like a lot of light and contrast and requires special attention and technique the same as in the other Pentax's model.
08-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I faced with this issue a while ago and was wondering if Pentax was able to fix this in the K1.
All cameras currently face this issue. Until we have sensors with pixel level exposure control it is probably going to be a problem. The Fuji X-trans sensor has issues with greens.
08-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Heres is a Hollyhook. Yes, red is difficult but very doable.

---------- Post added 08-24-17 at 07:17 PM ----------

I did not know that the X-trans and green was similar. I have not experienced it on my X-T20. Here is an image with alot of greens, Fujifilm X-T20 with Pentax FA31.

I didn't say the problem was similar. I said it has problems with greens. It has issues capturing detail in greens. That may have changed with the new 24MP sensor, but the 16MP had issues resolving detail in the green channel. There are several threads about it with the XT-1 on other Fuji Forums.
08-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster

---------- Post added 08-24-17 at 07:17 PM ----------

I did not know that the X-trans and green was similar. I have not experienced it on my X-T20. Here is an image with alot of greens, Fujifilm X-T20 with Pentax FA31.

no doubts. only Earthquakes are not manageable.
Thank you for the pictures. Red sucks...:-)
08-25-2017, 01:19 AM   #27
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Take a look at that Day Lily. Spot the highlights in the top right. You can see they are clearly clipped - ie overexposed - few would dispute that. The thing is, this white is composed RGB 255 255 255 ie a full dose of all primaries. If you separated those primaries and presented them on their own the red would look exactly like the fried bits of the daylily. So despite it feeling like a midtone in B&W the red here is clipped. Try it for yourself, use the the colour curve tool and pull down just the top end. And if it goes magenta on you a little just change the colour temperature. And it is a lot better to underexpose in the camera a bit rather than trying to PP a downsize like here.
Attached Images

08-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

This is with K-1 and an auto-tak 55 2.2

Minimal PP
08-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Take a look at that Day Lily. Spot the highlights in the top right. You can see they are clearly clipped - ie overexposed - few would dispute that. The thing is, this white is composed RGB 255 255 255 ie a full dose of all primaries. If you separated those primaries and presented them on their own the red would look exactly like the fried bits of the daylily. So despite it feeling like a midtone in B&W the red here is clipped. Try it for yourself, use the the colour curve tool and pull down just the top end. And if it goes magenta on you a little just change the colour temperature. And it is a lot better to underexpose in the camera a bit rather than trying to PP a downsize like here.
Thank you for the analysis, but this thread is not about how to find issues and solve them, but about how the K1 treats red colors.

---------- Post added 25-08-17 at 09:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
This is with K-1 and an auto-tak 55 2.2

Minimal PP
Nice!...Thank you for posting!....magenta, magenta...
08-25-2017, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

One of the reasons I have the Exposure compensation negative by default