Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-1 and SD card issues

I have a problem with my SD card "pro master 128GB SDXC", the card is really expensive and I bought it for my 4K videos. When I use it in my K-1 I need to let the camera format it as I get the message "Card not formatted" and I can't take any shot.

The problem is that when I take the card out and I plug it to my computer and take the pictures, when I put the card back to my camera, I need to format it again. Worst, if I remove the card and put it back (without going through the computer) the camera needs to format it again !

Anyone experience this issue ? And if not could you tell me what card do you guys have ?

05-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm using a transcend 128GB SDXC I R95 W60 MB/s card witout any problems. It's the same size as yours, so we know that the size isn't the problem. The same with a transcend 64 GB card.

Maybe your card has a problem.
Can you try another card or another k1 (maybe in a store)?
05-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Make sure you are ejecting your card from the computer operating system before taking it out of the card-reader or slot. Few ways to do this but right clicking on the card from Finder and choosing 'eject' is one way to do it on Mac. Similar from Windows explorer.

Also - if you are not putting it through the computer, are you switching the camera off and waiting a second or two before removing?

Hope this helps
John
05-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Try formatting on your computer using SD Formatter

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

05-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Make sure you are ejecting your card from the computer operating system before taking it out of the card-reader or slot. Few ways to do this but right clicking on the card from Finder and choosing 'eject' is one way to do it on Mac. Similar from Windows explorer.

Also - if you are not putting it through the computer, are you switching the camera off and waiting a second or two before removing?
I am doing all of this yes. It is not a thing that happens all the time. I would say 1 every 3 times.
05-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have had the exact same on a Delkin 64gb sc card in a Mac. Been using 32gb with no issues.
05-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

I'll second trying this. Perhaps formatting the card to a certain format on the computer will register consistently with the K-1 without asking for another format.

On the SD Card topic, but slightly off topic, have people researched what the optimum speed is of cards for the K-1 without spending extra money on speed features that the K-1 can't handle?

05-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
pro master 128GB SDXC
Never heard of them. Are they some supermarket house brand?

In the past, Pentax have tested and recommended Toshiba, Sandisk, and Panasonic SDHC and SDXC memory cards:
K-3 Memory Card Q&A | Ricoh Imaging Support

I'd personally recommend Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.
05-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have used a couple of different SD cards to check if write speeds vary and I have not had any problems. Mainly Lexar and SanDisk, but I also have a couple of Sony and a few Samsung SD cards. No problems with any of them.
05-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you are ejecting your card from the computer operating system before taking it out of the card-reader or slot.
This ^ ^

...followed by this ^^

If after formatting with the SD Association tool, you still have problems, it may be time to return the card to where you bought it. As rawr noted, other than name-brand cards tend to be a little sketchy, particularly as the capacity increases.

Steve
05-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
I actually bought the SD card in my local camera store at the time I had my a7rII because I needed a fast card for 4K recording. I bought it $200 and it worked flawlessly on my a7rII. Now the pentax doesn't seems to like it much.

I tried all your solutions above, formatting in camera, out of camera, of course I eject my card before removing it from the computer. When I take some picture I turn off the camera wait for 5sec until the light stop blinking. I remove the card and put it back it straight away. And sometimes :

- Everything's fine
- I get "Card not formatted"
- I get "No Images"

On a side note, is there a firmware update to do on the K-1 ?
05-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

John

Did this one time on my windows machine and the next card I put into the on-board card reader could not be read. When I ejected the first card, ejecting somehow turned off the on board card reader. Took me a few days to get the card reader turned back on.
05-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be thinking it is the card, frustrating as that may be. Over the years, there have been plenty of stories around the net of various cards proving to be inconsistent performers on certain cameras.

Also, SD cards in cameras use a slightly different storage formating protocol than the the HDD or SSD drives in your computer or even the average flash drive. If formatting an SD card in the computer for camera use, it is therefore important to use the SD card formatting program linked to in one of the earlier posts in this thread, although this doesn't appear to be the problem in this particular discussion.
05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #14

Hope this helps
John
Bought two identical Transcend 64MB SDXC SD cards for my K5iis. One of the cards exibited the problem described. The other card was fine.
I simply stopped using the "bad " card. I suspect a 128MB being more expensive needs a different treatment.
05-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A warning from that website may provide a clue...

"If an SDXC memory card is used through the direct SD slot of a computer without SDXC driver installation, the card may not be recognized correctly and a message to prompt formatting may appear. In this case, do not format the SDXC memory card. It may erase the data on the SDXC memory card and format the card for a different file system, making it incompatible with SDXC devices."

Sounds a lot like what is happening with the OP...

May need to D/L the SDXC driver mentioned?

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
When I take some picture I turn off the camera wait for 5sec until the light stop blinking. I remove the card and put it back it straight away.
Why are you turning OFF the camera?? The blinking light means the camera is writing to the card. You are introducing the possibility of soooo many errors turning off power to a device in the middle of a memory dump..