Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
General consensus on K1?

I always assumed I would buy a K1. But I was in the camp of waiting until the bugs were identified/fixed, a firmware update or two was issued, and some early adopters had some quality field time with the K1 before I took the plunge.

I've been tracking all the K1 conversations and in-depth reveiw and haven't come across any serious flaws or disappointments.

Should I wait a little longer, or can we conclude now that the K1 is a winner and a safe buy?

Also, if I buy now from B & H, how long will I have to wait for potential delivery?

Thanks all you early adopters!

05-10-2016, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It is a very impressive camera for the money. It's not a D5 or a sports camera by any means. At 4.6fps the buffer fills quick and is slow to clear with those massive RAW files and AF-C is still not tracking on the same level as Canon or Nikon, but for all other purposes the K-1 is an excellent camera. Nothing but good things can be said at this point. The IQ is better than anything Canon or Nikon make. The D810 is obviously very close in IQ. The Sony A7rII is probably the closest in terms of image quality and that is a $3,200 camera without the features or build quality.
05-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No issues so far. Pretty much flawless. I am sure some quirk will appear but at this point 5 days in and maybe 1000 images all good. Actually all great!

Just get it!!!
05-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your budget allows for it, do it. Considering the competition, I don't think you can get more bang for your buck. I've encountered no problems.

05-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It is a very impressive camera for the money. It's not a D5 or a sports camera by any means. At 4.6fps the buffer fills quick and is slow to clear with those massive RAW files and AF-C is still not tracking on the same level as Canon or Nikon, but for all other purposes the K-1 is an excellent camera. Nothing but good things can be said at this point. The IQ is better than anything Canon or Nikon make. The D810 is obviously very close in IQ. The Sony A7rII is probably the closest in terms of image quality and that is a $3,200 camera without the features or build quality.
This is a fair and accurate portrait.
05-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-1 truly is an impressive camera. It brings unique features to the table (LED external lighting, pixel shift, SR, astrotracer) that other brands currently don't offer in a full-frame DSLR. At the price point the IQ and build quality is really hard to beat, and it's got the great Pentax feel. So far it doesn't look like there are any QC issues or major bugs that would discourage early adoption: plus, since the launch price is already so low, you don't have to worry about price drops anytime soon.

Compared to other Pentax bodies I've reviewed (all of them, in other words), so far I've found very little to complain about in the K-1. The issues I've identified are minor, such as the inability to specify which of the 2 SD cards to write to, as well as some inconsistencies in the behavior of the settings dial. Since there are so many different settings now, I would have really liked it if the 4-way pad didn't also serve as the entry point for drive modes, but this is something you can get accustomed to.

The new viewfinder overlay is great, and the AF is a step up over previous Pentax bodies, though it's not quite as refined as Canon and Nikon bodies, even if you just consider the previous generation. Then again, for everything but action shooting (for which the K-1 isn't designed), this isn't much of a drawback.

Finally, the K-1 isn't missing anything (except maybe a pop-up flash for that little bit of added versatility). The K-3 II was great but it was a bit annoying (from my perspective) to see a flagship with fewer features than the current mid-range model (K-S2), such as Wi-Fi and an articulating screen.

TL;DR: the camera is pretty much perfect. If there's anything noteworthy to complain about, it's related to Pentax itself: a relatively small support network, poor global availability, and a limited lineup of new FF lenses. In other words, if you're already a Pentax user, just go for the K-1. You won't regret it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The IQ is better than anything Canon or Nikon make.
I'd argue this to an extent- namely in JPEG mode. But that's for another thread (or review)!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the thread for K1 problems (not K1 complaints). After-market strobes apparently do not work properly on the K1. If the flash has a USB update port, in time the manufacturers will probably issue new firmware, but when? At the moment we know that Metz 52 and 58 models will not operate normally, but can be coaxed to function by altering some menu options [either 1) set the flash to HSS mode, or 2) set the zoom options to "extended range." Neither of these provides 100% normal flash operation but will provide pTTL and correct coordination of the flash head and lens zoom settings.]. After-market flash units that provide pTTL for Pentax APS-C bodies but do not have a USB port for firmware upgrade will probably never function on a K1 unless Ricoh/Pentax issues a firmware change for the the K1 body. That seems unlikely: why would they develop firmware to serve an after-market flash?

There have been some other unexpected quirks reported for features or functions other than flash.

05-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Metz will update the FW on non-ported flashes if sent in.
05-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Metz will update the FW on non-ported flashes if sent in.
That's cool. Any indication when they'll have that service up & running??
05-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
I always assumed I would buy a K1. But I was in the camp of waiting until the bugs were identified/fixed, a firmware update or two was issued, and some early adopters had some quality field time with the K1 before I took the plunge.

I've been tracking all the K1 conversations and in-depth reveiw and haven't come across any serious flaws or disappointments.

Should I wait a little longer, or can we conclude now that the K1 is a winner and a safe buy?

Also, if I buy now from B & H, how long will I have to wait for potential delivery?

Thanks all you early adopters!
I was not worried about K1 issues as much as I was not sure if I wanted to make the big leap to the 645Z. My shooting involves a few studio product photography projects here and there and a lot more landscape work. The low cost of K1 was calling but the added resolution of 645Z was tempting. I hesitated. Therefore, I lost out on the first shipments.

Last week, I was given a K1 with the 28-105 to try for a while. All I can say is that my 645Z acquisition plans are postponed indefinitely. I did get myself a few LED lights so that I can try out the pixel shift resolution mode. All I can say is WOW! I want to make big prints, and it does not get any better than this.

No more 645Z dreams. K1 reality at 1/4 of the price. How can you go wrong. The camera has been flawless so far. So many useful, and practical features and yeah that sweet sensor.

I did place an order (through PF of course) with B&H last week but was told that the next batch is not expected until early June.

Wait no more. Just GO FOR IT.
05-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam,

I keep reading that the low price will stay low and that we shouldn't expect the price to drop. This is good for early adopters but bargain hunters may still be hesitant. There will always be a lingering question of "what if". I'm a little surprised that there aren't battery grip and/or lens bundles. Everything is a la carte still.
05-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's cool. Any indication when they'll have that service up & running??
Not indicated yet on the Metz discussion thread, only that a similar situation occurred with K-3 and Metz was responsive.
05-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Adam,

I keep reading that the low price will stay low and that we shouldn't expect the price to drop. This is good for early adopters but bargain hunters may still be hesitant. There will always be a lingering question of "what if". I'm a little surprised that there aren't battery grip and/or lens bundles. Everything is a la carte still.
Boris - it has only been a week and the New York dealers are backordered until July. What reason does RIAC have to offer a deal?

I wouldn't expect deal packages before next year.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.
05-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
CDW
Site Supporter

Adam,

I believe you are correct. The current price will hold for a long period of time due to demand. This happened when Panasonic broke the market open for 4K video with the GH4. The price didn't budge for a couple of years and it's still selling at near introduction price levels. I would be surprised if the price changes for at least a year, perhaps more. The 645Z was introduced at a price that impacted the digital medium format market and it held steady for quite a long time and has only dropped about $1500.00 since it was introduced two years ago.
05-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd argue this to an extent- namely in JPEG mode.
Yes. I'm referring to RAW. I have not shot but a couple of JPEGs and most of those were to test pixel shift. I do plan on playing with the in camera settings to see what I can get out of them.... Eventually.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 07:58 PM ----------

Adam,

They can't keep up with demand up to this (rather brief) point. Once the reviews come in I expect sales to remain strong. Ricoh has hit the right price point for the quality and I expect to see demand for the new K-mount glass to increase.