Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pixel Shift in LR CC?

So, I took some pixel shift shots and want to develop them. In LR CC, the colors are all wrong like its not reading the file correctly. I have the latest updates (I think) since CC is fully updated. My non-PS images right next to it look great, but I want to see the good stuff. How does this all work?

Attached Images

05-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use LR CC and did not have a problem with my first pixel shift image. Are you processing the four individual images?
05-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I use LR CC and did not have a problem with my first pixel shift image. Are you processing the four individual images?
Well, the camera took 4 shots and combined them into 1 DNG file. Not sure how I can process 4 individual shots.
05-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was my thought too but I wasn't sure. In any case I did my first one last night and all I did was correct for operator error (1 stop underexposed) without any other PP.

05-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Colors camemake sure your version is 2015.5.1.

I was able to import my pixel shifted images and develop them just fine, but be aware that they only use the in-camera motion correction. If you import them into DCU and run the motion correction there, it does a much better job at getting rid of artifacts.
I have 2015.5.1 and camera raw 9.5.1 -- I did not use motion correction

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 10:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
That was my thought too but I wasn't sure. In any case I did my first one last night and all I did was correct for operator error (1 stop underexposed) without any other PP.
And you shot in DNG? or did you use the jpeg out of camera?
05-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, the main culprit seems to be the red/blue channels -- they are not being appropriately "leveled". As you can see in the attached image, the blue channel isn't being multiplied correctly and is resulting in a very narrow histogram. By alter the levels of the blue channel, bring the blacks down to black and the highlights up to white, the image is much much improved. However, it is not the correct colors that it should be. Its just based on eyeballing the histogram
Attached Images

05-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
So, the main culprit seems to be the red/blue channels -- they are not being appropriately "leveled". As you can see in the attached image, the blue channel isn't being multiplied correctly and is resulting in a very narrow histogram. By alter the levels of the blue channel, bring the blacks down to black and the highlights up to white, the image is much much improved. However, it is not the correct colors that it should be. Its just based on eyeballing the histogram
That's strange! I think that the Pentax software will do a better job of processing PS file regardless, so I'd take it for a spin.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's strange! I think that the Pentax software will do a better job of processing PS file regardless, so I'd take it for a spin.
So ACR/ LR is no go for pixel shift shots? Is this an isolated issue or the general conclusion?
05-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
So ACR/ LR is no go for pixel shift shots? Is this an isolated issue or the general conclusion?
More just my experience. I've always been under the impression that Pentax's interpolation leads to better color accuracy and fewer artifacts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2016, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
Somewhat formal test ... enough for me anyway. Mirror up. Motion Correction off . Tripod . Remote Release.

I was thinking/hoping I would be able to see the full benefit of PS resolution by processing through Adobe Camera Raw (up to date) . When I compared a ps res. image to a non ps shift res. image there was only a small difference (marginal..10% ?) between the two dng files . But, tonight I decided to install DCU5 and run the ps res. dng through it to see what difference it would make, and it is the difference that I was expecting...significant. It comes pretty close to a 645z file of the same scene, also shot under the same conditions. PS resolution is really impressive.

By the way the DCU 5 interface is quite busy, though given a few minutes I was able to minimally figure out how to process the raw. I did not see a way to combine 4 images from the one dng file, but if you shoot with PS res. on and then tell DCU5 that it is a PS image it re-processes the file and results in the more detailed image.

Hope that may help someones wondering about the processing. I was questioning the same thing.
05-11-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still on Lightroom 5. I will say that I take photos into DCU and export them as TIFF files and then if they need more processing, I will take them into Lightroom at that point.
05-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I tried processing a few PS DNGs in Pentax's software the other day and found the software so slow that it was almost unusable. I've not had those problems with LR6. It was kind of a bummer. Just the smallest adjustments took forever. Am I the only one? I have an i7 processor, 32 GB RAM. And LR runs fine.

What I ended up doing, like Rondec, was pulling up the DNGs in PDCU, then saving them as TIFFs and importing into LR so I could actually work with them. I'm sure this isn't optimal to get the most out of the images, though.

I also find PDCU not very intuitive to use, but that's to be expected I guess, since I'm not used to it. That just makes the slowness harder to deal with, though.
05-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I tried processing a few PS DNGs in Pentax's software the other day and found the software so slow that it was almost unusable. I've not had those problems with LR6. It was kind of a bummer. Just the smallest adjustments took forever. Am I the only one? I have an i7 processor, 32 GB RAM. And LR runs fine.

What I ended up doing, like Rondec, was pulling up the DNGs in PDCU, then saving them as TIFFs and importing into LR so I could actually work with them. I'm sure this isn't optimal to get the most out of the images, though.

I also find PDCU not very intuitive to use, but that's to be expected I guess, since I'm not used to it. That just makes the slowness harder to deal with, though.
Yep, that's what I did as well. Brought in to DCU....enabled pixel shift, exported as tiff. Did not notice the speed so much probably because I was finding my way around and only focused on one file.
05-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #14
Unregistered User

When exporting as TIFF, I exported the 16 bit version and they are as huge as the RAW files. Is the pixel shift already performed or does Lightroom/ACR detect them as in need of "pixel shifting"?
05-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lurker56 Quote
Somewhat formal test ... enough for me anyway. Mirror up. Motion Correction off . Tripod . Remote Release. .
Just FYI, I used 2 second timer, Tripod and motion correction off.