Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 01:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
No. Somebody must have relocated your bike; you're riding something else.

Why should the lens "see" the sensor with a 4th of it's resolution? What leads you to this idea?
If you imagine your steam of photons shining through your lens. Imagine a stright line to the sensor.
Now this stream of photons are motionless in regards to the lens, the sensor then moves 3 times creating a square of 4 pixels.
You could say that the stream of photons are painting the sensor by moving the sensor.

05-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
If you imagine your steam of photons shining through your lens. Imagine a stright line to the sensor.
Now this stream of photons are motionless in regards to the lens, the sensor then moves 3 times creating a square of 4 pixels.
You could say that the stream of photons are painting the sensor by moving the sensor.
I think it's easier to conceptualize as a stack of four images (which it is) each of which is at the sensor's max resolution. Like sampling with bracketed images for HDR, each pass creates an image with different info, which is then combined to make one image with, in this case, more resolution, instead of with more dynamic range (or areas in focus as in focus stacking).

This is a great explanation: How Pentax Pixel Shifting Works - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 08:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmariani Quote
Is there a way to Batch process the Images in PDCU? .

I have been having the same troubles with light room. My work flow has been to create a scratch disk on my desk top and to select out the PS Images based on file size. The PS files I process individually in PDCU which is slow.. Of many little gripes with the product I have to manually override the camera Picture Settings and return them to Natural before exporting as a tiff. After the PS images are processed I Import the PS Tiffs along with the other DNG files (not copies of the tiffs but normal rez pictures taking in the photo stream) into LR.

This is about the best continuity I can come up with at present.
I don't have the problems others seem to experience in Lr (I can't distinguish resolution differences between PDCU and Lr) but I agree PDCU is a hot mess. Especially on my Mac.

For batch processing you might try the PS variant of dcraw. I think it does as least as good a job, with some control over motion artifacts. The problem is it's command line, so you don't get a view of the rendering in real time. But you can run a file through and mark the areas affected by motion first.
05-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, that may look like a silly question, yesterday I took some moon shots with PS, but now I forgot which one is which, so my question is: How do we identify the images generated in body using PS in Lr (v6.4 standalone / Win) ?

thanks
05-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hi, that may look like a silly question, yesterday I took some moon shots with PS, but now I forgot which one is which, so my question is: How do we identify the images generated in body using PS in Lr (v6.4 standalone / Win) ?

thanks
You look at the meta data that says 155 MB

But I think PS on the moon is not the best idea since it is moving fast, i.e it will use only one of the frames anyway. But I need to try

05-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Ho wow ! I did not realized that they would merge 4 photos in one like this and keep the size that big!
Wondering if there is an easy way to filter them in grid mode (using metadata option)
05-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

But I think PS on the moon is not the best idea since it is moving fast, i.e it will use only one of the frames anyway. But I need to try
Seen alot of nice PS astroshots of the moon with guided mounts.
05-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ho wow ! I did not realized that they would merge 4 photos in one like this and keep the size that big!
Wondering if there is an easy way to filter them in grid mode (using metadata option)
Unfortunately Lightroom doesn't sort on file size. And the camera doesn't designate "PSR" or something in the file name. And the PS mode is noted in the metadata, but it's non-standard and hence sorta hard to get at.

So the trick is to ID them and then get that info into a more usable place, like filename, keyword, etc. I use Photo Mechanic to do it; I'd highly recommend it but it's overkill for some. You could use regular filesystem tools probably.

But if you wanna do it in Lr I'd recommend John Beardsworth's List View plugin, €10.00 at List View – Lightroom Solutions (there's a demo). You can add "size" as a column and then sort on it. Select the big 'uns, and then make a collection, rename 'em, keyword 'em, whatever. I like to assign a label as well so I can quickly ID them in a bracketed set.

05-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #38
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Seen alot of nice PS astroshots of the moon with guided mounts.
I have not seen any so far and no moon either due to clowds. Do you have any links or threads I can check out/follow?
05-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #39

2 things:

1. If you need to open RAW files using LR/PS, remember to choose DNG as RAW format instead of PEF. DNG has an embedded profile within its RAW file. After opening it up in LR, remember to choose the "Embedded" profile. Otherwise, the default is "Adobe Standard" profile, and the color is all wrong.

2. The default sharpening of LR (Sharpening Amount: 25, Detail: 25) is rather low, making it looks blurry comparing with DNG/PEF file opened by Digital Camera Utility (DCU). In my case, I adjust sharpening amount to 45, and detail to 60. This gives a much more usable image.
05-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am doing my own "testing" right now to see what happens. A TIFF file is the same as a RAW with a different files extention. Maybe the info in the TIFF tells adobe that it is a pixel shift. If I take a normal PEF file and just rename to TIFF it still opens in ACR with the same color etc as if PEF. It applies the sharpening I have told ACR to apply as a base when K-1 PEFs are opened. I do not know, trying to understand this so that I can benefit the most from it. So far everone else is getting wopping results and mine look quite dull.
A tiff isn't the same as RAW file. A TIFF file has processing baked in, it doesn't have the same processing latitude as a raw file. As I understand it you can't get a PS RAW file into any Adobe software and process it. The latest cc engine in LR and ACR just use one of the raw files and not the PS composite.

So you have to output a TIFF file from the Pentax software and process it LR or ACR. A real shame that the flexibility of working in RAW in a non-destrictive workflow is not available. Hopefully this will change, but PS has been around for a while so i suspect we aren't going to see it anytime soon ...
05-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #41
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
A tiff isn't the same as RAW file. A TIFF file has processing baked in, it doesn't have the same processing latitude as a raw file. As I understand it you can't get a PS RAW file into any Adobe software and process it. The latest cc engine in LR and ACR just use one of the raw files and not the PS composite.

So you have to output a TIFF file from the Pentax software and process it LR or ACR. A real shame that the flexibility of working in RAW in a non-destrictive workflow is not available. Hopefully this will change, but PS has been around for a while so i suspect we aren't going to see it anytime soon ...
This is not all true. Adobe processes the PS file but not with motion detection. If you have a static subject you will be ok using Lightroom or Camera RAW.

If only processing the PS components in DCU you will have alot of latitude if exporting a 16 bit TIFF going to Adobe software.
05-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not all true. Adobe processes the PS file but not with motion detection. If you have a static subject you will be ok using Lightroom or Camera RAW.

If only processing the PS components in DCU you will have alot of latitude if exporting a 16 bit TIFF going to Adobe software.
There's something wrong somewhere ...

I was given a PS dng file straight out of a k-3ii. The latest ACR was using just one of the 4 PS images when I looked at it - there was no difference to a single non- PS image. Motion detection was not an issue as it was a static image.

Yes a 16 bit TIFF does have a lot of latitude, but it is not like processing a RAW file in pro-photo color space - some flexibility is lost. I use RAW images exclusively, moving as smart objects backwards and forwards between ACR and Photoshop - all non- destructively. TIFF is a lesser solution. A pity ...

Last edited by BarryE; 05-21-2016 at 12:55 PM.
05-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One way to find them in Lightroom is to add "file size" to the Metadata Panel. I use Jeffrey Friedl's plugin to change what is shown in the presets. Unfortunately this doesn't allow sorting in the grid but at least you can tell at a glance the file size and thus whether the file is PSR or not.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” Lightroom Plugin
05-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
One way to find them in Lightroom is to add "file size" to the Metadata Panel. I use Jeffrey Friedl's plugin to change what is shown in the presets. Unfortunately this doesn't allow sorting in the grid but at least you can tell at a glance the file size and thus whether the file is PSR or not.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” Lightroom Plugin
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Unfortunately Lightroom doesn't sort on file size. And the camera doesn't designate "PSR" or something in the file name. And the PS mode is noted in the metadata, but it's non-standard and hence sorta hard to get at.

So the trick is to ID them and then get that info into a more usable place, like filename, keyword, etc. I use Photo Mechanic to do it; I'd highly recommend it but it's overkill for some. You could use regular filesystem tools probably.

But if you wanna do it in Lr I'd recommend John Beardsworth's List View plugin, €10.00 at List View – Lightroom Solutions (there's a demo). You can add "size" as a column and then sort on it. Select the big 'uns, and then make a collection, rename 'em, keyword 'em, whatever. I like to assign a label as well so I can quickly ID them in a bracketed set.
Thanks for your tips guys!
I'll look into that
At the moment, since I did not had too many, I just did browsed while looking at the file size , and manually added a keyword for Pixel Shift...

but that comes to the point that I should be careful to delete any unwanted PS images to not clutter my hard drive too fast...
05-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
There's something wrong somewhere ...

I was given a PS dng file straight out of a k-3ii. The latest ACR was using just one of the 4 PS images when I looked at it - there was no difference to a single non- PS image. Motion detection was not an issue as it was a static image.

Yes a 16 bit TIFF does have a lot of latitude, but it is not like processing a RAW file in pro-photo color space - some flexibility is lost. I use RAW images exclusively, moving as smart objects backwards and forwards between ACR and Photoshop - all non- destructively. TIFF is a lesser solution. A pity ...
Indeed, you do have something wrong.

I'm not sure how you are attempting to discern the difference; with some lenses and images there is no visual difference between PS and non PS due to the limiting factor of the lens' sharpness, etc.

I've posted a screenshot of two renderings of a PS, one with PDCU and one with Lr. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...ml#post3647546 Different, but within the range of PS IMHO. One sure way is take a PS with motion; Lr will show the artifacts. They would not be there if it processed one frame.