Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote

It took me a while to find that setting (there is no "More" button), but I did find it and it was already turned off. Thanks for the suggestion, clackers!
You might be getting sick of trying things, but can you try running the app out of range of any of your normal wifi networks and data turned off on your phone?

Just trying to make sure the phone can't connect to anything but your camera!

05-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I coincidentally tested Image Sync today with my LG G4 and it worked just fine to take and transfer an image (and then I edited the DNG in snapseed). It was slow to transfer though... Did you try transferring just one image? I haven't tried multiple image transfer yet, and probably won't because I don't think I'd ever use it.. To me it's just handy for a one off...

My only wish is that LV was possible from the phone (streaming)... Wasn't surprised to discover that it's not a feature haha...
05-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
clackers and todd, I went into the depths of my parking garage where no signal exists, not even light, and tried to connect to the camera and no dice. I've tried transfering all, one, jpg, and dng files to no avail. I've deleted every app I haven't used in the past couple months, and still nothing. It might be some deep rooted problem with my phone... Samsung Galaxy S4. I thought about resetting it to factory default, but I've got stuff I need for work on there, so that won't work. Oh well... all I wanted to do was offload small-size jpegs for immediate sharing or viewing on the larger screen. I can live without it (but I really shouldn't have to).
05-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deleted every app I haven't used in the past couple months
This triggered the thought so might as well ask... Do you have an anti-virus app on there? Maybe Avast or whatever Samsung might put on there by default? If so might try disabling that...

05-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I deleted it.... no dice. It's maddening.
05-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it's fiddly for me too.. Some things don't work as they should and most annoyingly, it doesn't remember the wifi password from one session to next... Plenty of low ratings on google play too so it needs some work for sure...
05-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are there any other apps that can d/l photos off the cam and into the smartphone? No point in having Wifi on this camera if no apps support it.

05-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are there any other apps that can d/l photos off the cam and into the smartphone? No point in having Wifi on this camera if no apps support it.
My phone is a different operating system, but this sequence works perfectly every time - maybe uninstall ImageSync, reinstall, permit app access to photo albu,m and try this?

1. Turn on camera
2. Turn on WiFi
3. Connect Phone to Camera Network
4. Open app
5. Select Camera

Camera goes into LV and phone becomes LV monitor.

At that point I can alter aperture, shutter speed, ISO, EV+/-, change the focus point by touching the screen and trip the shutter and maybe other stuff. In card mode I can view thumbnails of card images and share directly to social media (must be using the Cell network), but I can only save to the phone if ImageSync has been granted access to Photo albums. The circle just keeps circling otherwise.

That probably doesn't help you unless that album setting matters.
05-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

clackers and todd, I went into the depths of my parking garage where no signal exists, not even light, and tried to connect to the camera and no dice. I've tried transfering all, one, jpg, and dng files to no avail. .
I just tried mine and it works fine, JCD.

Is your S4 still running Android 4.2? The app needs 4.4 minimum.

Edit: You said you were using 5.0.1, forget what I typed! Sorry, can't reproduce it.

Last edited by clackers; 05-12-2016 at 05:54 AM.
05-12-2016, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I went to sleep last night, woke up and took some photos at lunchtime, came in and tried again. It worked this time without a hitch. I tried everything you guys suggested, so you all get some percentage of credit for helping, however I think perhaps the loud swearing that took place yesterday summoned the Pentax elves who did most of the repairs overnight.

05-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I went to sleep last night, woke up and took some photos at lunchtime, came in and tried again. It worked this time without a hitch. I tried everything you guys suggested, so you all get some percentage of credit for helping, however I think perhaps the loud swearing that took place yesterday summoned the Pentax elves who did most of the repairs overnight.

Good to hear! ☺

05-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this time
This is all a sign of an underdeveloped buggy app.. But would be surprised if they spend much more time on it. The fact that I have to memorize the password to enter it each time is ridiculous. I tried entering it in the settings and it doesn't save there either.. Also have to fight it each time to even connect (have to retry about five times)... Mine doesn't even show LV either.. Just a black screen.. And some of the buttons don't work (can't change the shooting mode or use green button)... And I'm running Android 6 so it's not like it's an old phone... This is all enough hassle that I probably won't ever use it. I'll be pleasantly surprised and try again if I see an update come through...
05-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are there alternatives? What else can you use the built-in wifi for? Can you send files directly to a PC over the network? (I know it would be slow, but just asking.)
05-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
. The fact that I have to memorize the password to enter it each time is ridiculous. I tried entering it in the settings and it doesn't save there either.. ..
I didn't re-enter the password yesterday - it was remembered from setup.

Edit: Tried it again just then, too ... it's remembered.

Last edited by clackers; 05-12-2016 at 02:40 PM.
05-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Are there alternatives? What else can you use the built-in wifi for? Can you send files directly to a PC over the network? (I know it would be slow, but just asking.)
The Sony, Samsung and Canon systems I've seen work only with a special app to go with the built-in WiFi.

The Pentax K-S1 and K-3 are interestingly different in using cross-platform web browsers.

You can always get an additional Flucard or Eye-fi for image transfer.

Last edited by clackers; 05-12-2016 at 02:41 PM.