Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Are there alternatives? What else can you use the built-in wifi for? Can you send files directly to a PC over the network? (I know it would be slow, but just asking.)
Well now I feel dumb.. I found this forum review and learned that LV doesn't work unless in single shot drive mode (which I hardly ever use)... So now I got LV working..

Althought for KS2 "Remote capture cannot be used unless the camera is set to the single frame drive mode. If a different drive mode is selected, you will receive an indication in the app advising you to swap modes." I did not get this notification on K-1...

The review also mentions this app, which might be of additional benefit for tethering:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/295501-k-s2-wifi-lap...ml#post3302307

06-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #32
FA*

You can not transfere a big jpeg file to a telephone or tablet. I tried to transfere a L*** picture to my samsung galaxy J5 from pentax K-1 but it did not work. Then I made a smaller copy in the camera (jpeg xs **) and it was no problem to transfere it to the gallery in my phone.
09-18-2016, 01:37 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Sony, Samsung and Canon systems I've seen work only with a special app to go with the built-in WiFi.

The Pentax K-S1 and K-3 are interestingly different in using cross-platform web browsers.

You can always get an additional Flucard or Eye-fi for image transfer.
Hi Clackers, I use a Sony Xperia z5 Premium and I have to day Image Sync is a dog. I've found a way to make it work inspite of itself but would love to know what "special app" you were refering to?

Thanks,
09-18-2016, 03:43 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi All,

As a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium user, I thought I'd add my learnings to this thread.

Maybe, sometime before "hell freezes over", Ricoh or the maker of ImageSync might produce a manual that tells Android users, who have paid good money for their cameras, how to use their software.

Anyway, I have been trying for a while to connect a K1 without success. What I have found is that as soon as the "connect" button is clicked, the existing WiFi network on the phone disconnects and cycles rapidly through a search cycle over say 15 - 30 secs without success. If you stay within the ImageSync app it is a cycle of death.....nothing happens, you keep trying to connect without success.

Through frustration I stumbled on this: Attempt to start the app...go immediately to the Sony Xperia's WiFi settings...you'll see it furiously cycling...after about 30secs it will give up, but you will see the Pentax WiFi connection waiting, click connect, it may ask for the camera password, and watch it connect (it will warn you there is not internet access; that is fine, you aren't connecting to the internet).

Now go back to the ImageSync App and select "start without a connection". You will find that the connection "bizarrely" connects to the camera and both tether and upload of pictures from both cards is present.

One thing, don't try to upload a full RAW file or even full HQ JPEG, the file sizes are too large. As I will use the phone to post the odd pic in social media, I am using XS, high quality (ave 1.50MB file size).

Hope this helps, but message me if I can help further...I'll try

rgds
Frank Oz

09-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
Hi Clackers, I use a Sony Xperia z5 Premium and I have to day Image Sync is a dog. I've found a way to make it work inspite of itself but would love to know what "special app" you were refering to?

Thanks,
Yep, Frankoz, I use Sony Playmemories Mobile to shoot with my A7 ... it's exactly the same procedure as InageSync.

No different for my Samsung Mini NX, either - have to use the Samsung Smart Camera app.
11-23-2016, 05:00 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
If you stay within the ImageSync app it is a cycle of death.....nothing happens, you keep trying to connect without success.
Could the reason be that your Android Wifi settings are configured to drop Wifi connections that do not provide internet access?

Just an idea.

Given that the app works for many, I presume that it must be Android settings like the above that make a difference.
11-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Class A, I'm afraid that wasn't the issue, however a recent update does seem to have solved the program's instability in any event for my K1. I haven't tried the GRII yet

11-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Could the reason be that your Android Wifi settings are configured to drop Wifi connections that do not provide internet access?.
Many of the problems I initially had with earlier versions of the app were related to this, and once I found the "this connection has no internet, do you want to stay connected" dialog that somewhat randomly appeared, it worked.

But that hasn't worked for 1.1.2...

New problems ☺

-Eric
11-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Many of the problems I initially had with earlier versions of the app were related to this, and once I found the "this connection has no internet, do you want to stay connected" dialog that somewhat randomly appeared, it worked.

But that hasn't worked for 1.1.2...

New problems ☺

-Eric
Check what your phone is connected to, Eric. If it's switching over to your telco's data connection, temporarily disable it.

Even better, find what your handset provides as far as turning that 'smart switching' or whatever it calls off, it's doing you no favours in this matter.