Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #256
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
Administrator, this thread needs to be closed and erased

This sounds a bit overkill. This thread is about avoiding tiny scratches and not about creating huge ones. I don't think that anybody is serious about taking a Dremel to their camera.

05-12-2016, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #257
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Administrator, this thread needs to be closed and erased. We have people talking about taking a Dremel tool to their cameras.

The thread needs to be replaced with a sticky that says Certain Sigma Lenses may cause a barely visible scratch on some K1 bodies. These are the lenses. Sigma acknowledges this is their fault and is working on a fix.

DO NOT DREMEL YOUR CAMERA. YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND VERY LIKELY DAMAGE THE CAMERA BY GETTING TINY METAL CHIPS INTO IT.
So right! I once got a 30 day ban at DPR because I advised a guy to clean his sensor with a magic wand at the car wash...and he did. The only bigger fool than the guy that ruined his camera was the fool that banned me for being a bad influence on the mentally impaired.

Looking at those in a full blown panic here over a little scratch, I have to believe that guy from the car wash might be in there somewhere, so it is our duty to protect him from himself and his Dremel tool or metal grinder.

Regards!

---------- Post added 05-12-16 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, now this thread is getting scary.
When Rupert's posts are the [comparatively] sensible ones the thread has gone over the top.
You know...that is pretty scary, even to me!
05-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #258

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
This sounds a bit overkill. This thread is about avoiding tiny scratches and not about creating huge ones. I don't think that anybody is serious about taking a Dremel to their camera.
Sadly, yes they are. They simply don't understand that once the hard steel of the Sigma mount has scratched the K1 - it now has the clearance it needs and will do no further damage to the camera. The fact that this thread continues to lengthen ought to be enough to tell you that people don't understand what is going on.
05-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #259

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
It's a crock anyway, they have screwed up in the past. The first Pentax body to implement that hideous prism overhang was the K10D from recollection.

That lovely bit of jutting plastic wouldn't allow the A*200/4 macro to rotate to portrait mode whilst the pair was mounted on the supplied tripod mount as the set screws on the mount collar collided with the prism overhang, they didn't offer to fix that. It also made using the aperture ring less than comfortable.
And hey... you have the same issue with the K-1!
That´s the only thing with the K-1 which makes me feel bad about it. But that´s really annoying for me!

05-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #260

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just did a little walk with Google images and see what you mean.

Steve
I did some quick and dirty shots, hand held, kit lens, available light (window) so they are not very sharp:

The K-mount adapter appears to me to be thinner than then on the non-auto bellow. And you can see the foot on the standard. You could use a battery grip but only if the rear standard is at the end. You have to position the standard at the back to turn a DSLR to portrait mode regardless.

Here I loosened the set screw and turned the body as far as I could until the corner of the mount base hit the foot. MF cameras have a rounded base without the corner. Work around - remove the camera and adapter from the bellow and reposition. Or add a short extension tube to the body. This is recommended BTW with the screw mount Auto Bellows.

There may be enough clearance up top on the K-1. One could always use a short extension tube between the adapter and the body.
05-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Administrator, this thread needs to be closed and erased. We have people talking about taking a Dremel tool to their cameras.

The thread needs to be replaced with a sticky that says Certain Sigma Lenses may cause a barely visible scratch on some K1 bodies. These are the lenses. Sigma acknowledges this is their fault and is working on a fix.

DO NOT DREMEL YOUR CAMERA. YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND VERY LIKELY DAMAGE THE CAMERA BY GETTING TINY METAL CHIPS INTO IT.

A dremel tool will cause a thousand times as much damage to the camera as mounting an interfering Sigma lens.
The Dremel tool has a long history here in the Forum. A little searching and you will find all kinds of Dremel tool hacks that can enable other Mfg. lenses to fit on a K mount body. Rather than taking a grinder to your new Pentax K1, why not grind down the offending part of the lens? Those of us who got burned with the Nikon IX lenses, made for their APS film cameras, figured out the Dremel tool fix fairly quickly and removed the offending piece of plastic that hit the mirror on DSLR's.
05-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #262

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The Dremel tool has a long history here in the Forum
I believe the original comment was made in jest. If you look at the K-1 cutaway photo I posted the shell at this point looks only to be 1-2mm thick. Not much material to work with. Beyond this looks like another shell, bracket or PCB. I wouldn't take a bit and cut away any material in that area.

05-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #263
Veteran Member

If I had a K-1 (which I currently don't), I wouldn't worry much about leaving a tiny mark on the camera body. However, I'd worry a bit about what that slight torque or tension does to the mount of the camera and the lens and also whether it affects the electric contact between the camera and the lens. But perhaps this is not a major issue, or is it?
05-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #264
Pentaxian

I don't know if this has been posted but Sigma offers part replacement to prevent lenses scratching Pentax K-1. I hope you guys will be happy.

Sigma offers part replacement to prevent lenses scratching Pentax K-1: Digital Photography Review
05-12-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #265
Veteran Member

My 70-200/2.8 OS HSM is pretty close...... but usable

05-12-2016, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #266
Veteran Member

This forum has seen worse. Lots of people have been modifying or destroying their lenses and cameras in many creative ways here.

People have even covered their cameras with dust and dirt!! Or shown themselves using their cameras near sea-spray!! Without using UV filters either !! All those people need to be banned.
05-12-2016, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A dremel tool will cause a thousand times as much damage to the camera as mounting an interfering Sigma lens.
05-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #268
Veteran Member

People taking a tool they own and using it on another tool they own, oh the humanity!

Seriously though, I also want to add that Adaptall-2 mounts, and their matching mirror lenses (eg. 55B) are no problem.
05-12-2016, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #269

So the fun part of this, before D-FAs, I was eyeing the Sigma Art lenses as the next LBA target. Now I can safely wait until they produce the new batches that are K-1 safe. There will be a whole new market, and every Sigma transaction will be accompanied with a clarification: this lens is made after K-1 Sigmacalypse, it's safe on K-1!

A+
05-12-2016, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #270
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

LOL, plainly you're not an engineer

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I'm quite serious, no doubt after the first lot of modified lenses come back from Sigma there will be a chorus of cries about how repaired lenses don't focus properly any longer plus I simply can't afford to have half my lenses away being modified as a working photographer.

The body mod would be quite easy and safe for anyone who knows what they are doing (much less chance of damage than putting WR bodies under running water for instance), I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it that way but it suits me.

I promise to post pictures.

Last edited by distudio; 05-12-2016 at 10:01 PM.