Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #316
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
And what about the freezing with the 150-500mm APO DG HSM ?
Just tried it, FS, works fine on mine ... although I have done the K-1 firmware upgrade FWIW.

05-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just tried it, FS, works fine on mine ... although I have done the K-1 firmware upgrade FWIW.
Thank you !
05-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a 150-500mm APO DG HSM or the OS version ? It didn't work for me...
05-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #319
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Do you have a 150-500mm APO DG HSM or the OS version ? It didn't work for me...
Mine's the OS version, FS.

05-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #320
KNG

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... The zenitcamera.com is fan content gleaned from various sources and not particularly reliable* even for Zenit product (no relation to KMZ, former makers of Zenit SLR cameras)...

* The linked diagram uses Latin characters for "min" and "max" in Russian they would be "мин" and "мак". Just a small matter, but probably not a notation by KMZ.
Steve,sorry, but I can not understand: why say anything you do not know? In Russian practice, these designations are written in Latin: "min" and "max". All of mathematics is based on the Latin alphabet. A geometry is based on the Greek one... Ask and you will answer.

Last edited by KNG; 05-30-2016 at 02:15 PM.
05-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #321
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KNG Quote
Steve,sorry, but I can not understand: why say anything you do not know? In Russian practice, these designations are written in Latin: "min" and "max". All of mathematics is based on the Latin alphabet. A geometry is based on the Greek one... Ask and you will answer.
Inconsistencies in the diagram, I suppose. I was unaware of that convention and will keep it in mind when I attempt to decipher Russian manuals and technical documents for my FSU cameras (I have several) and lenses (many).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-30-2016 at 05:26 PM.
06-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #322
KNG

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Inconsistencies in the diagram, I suppose.
Fully document is located here: www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-gost24692-81.html
Or you can find a pdf file of this standard...
06-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #323

I don't understand how a russian document could be the standard documentation of the K bayonet. That seems to be documentation of something similar and compatible to the K bayonet, but the guys who invented the K bayonet were working at Pentax, in Japan.

Never had Pentax any relation to the USSR Bureau of Standardization, so whatever they've documented there might well be naught more than the result of careful ... re-engineering.

06-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #324
KNG

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
I don't understand how a russian document could be the standard documentation of the K bayonet. That seems to be documentation of something similar and compatible to the K bayonet, but the guys who invented the K bayonet were working at Pentax, in Japan.

Never had Pentax any relation to the USSR Bureau of Standardization, so whatever they've documented there might well be naught more than the result of careful ... re-engineering.
Of course, this is Soviet/Russian public standard.
We know that Japanese standard does not exist (I mean public one). Asahi Pentax (let's call it so) company, of course, had and now has its own drawings, but all this documentation is secret. Therefore, anyone (I mean ordinary people who are not engaged in a K-mount engineering or a reengineering) has only two choices: the first is to use the Russian standard. And second: forget this story. All other arguments are not worth a damn.
Never had Pentax any relation to the USSR Bureau of Standardization...
Are you sure? Never say never... What makes you so unequivocally say? Tell us ... It's probably a very interesting story.

Last edited by KNG; 06-03-2016 at 01:07 PM.
06-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #325
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thank you for writing the comment I have been putting off writing. The document referenced is a 1981 (originally) filing to the Soviet national GOST (standards body) describing a manufacturing specification for a "Universal Mount K" resembling the Pentax K-mount. Whether it was based on documents obtained from Pentax or by reverse-engineering is unknown. Also unknown is whether compatibility beyond Soviet-made bodies was intended, but there is definitely a 65mm max diameter for the lens body 3mm offset from the mount face specified. It would be reasonable to assume that Soviet K-mount bodies and lenses adhered to those numbers and that they were added to the 1981 version per the mark-up on the JPEG diagrams such that they were present in the official revision #3 mentioned below.

This specification first surfaced on this site in thread started by dcshooter in 2012. He was trying to find official Asahi/Pentax specifications for the mount in the hopes of fabricating compatible parts. The thread woke as a zombie version in January of this year when a user in Romania (funlw65) shared the marked-up JPEG drawing from zenitcamera.com. The JPEG appears to be a draft for the more official-looking copy (also on zenitcamera.com) linked by KNG a few comments back (apparent revision 3 of the spec). The JPEG and subsequent comments may be viewed in-situ at:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/209239-look...ml#post3478684

The actual specification (in Russian PDF) was linked later in the thread and may be found at:

http://meganorm.ru/Data2/1/4294829/4294829626.pdf

Of particular interest to me was the translation of the pdf by user @Sigfried starting HERE and continuing HERE.*

Sorry about continuing the thread hijack.

Steve

* The linked version has only 8 pages as compared to 16 pages referenced by Sigfried. I am not sure regarding the discrepancy.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-03-2016 at 02:30 PM.
06-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #326
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Sigma DG 150-500 1:5.6-6.3 APO HSM lens. Does this lens work with K-1? Does it mount without scoring the K-1 camera body?
I also have the Sigma APO DG 70-200mm 1:2.8 II Macro HSM. Does this lens work with the K-1? Does it mount without scoring the K-1 camera body?

While it is easy to say that is the risk with third party lenses, I've been using these for years with my K-5 and K-3 without a hiccup while Pentax had nothing to offer and probably would not be a Pentax user without these lenses. So having them work with the K-1 is critical for me. I appreciate any feedback about how these lenses mount and operate on the K-1. Thanks.
06-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I have the Sigma DG 150-500 1:5.6-6.3 APO HSM lens. Does this lens work with K-1? Does it mount without scoring the K-1 camera body?
Mine takes photos fine, Bob.

I can't see a scratch being made on mine, but please, read the Sigma announcement. This lens is on the list, and qualifies for its mount spacer (which must have sample variation in size/fit) being replaced.

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1? - SIGMA CORPORATION
06-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #328
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine takes photos fine, Bob.

I can't see a scratch being made on mine, but please, read the Sigma announcement. This lens is on the list, and qualifies for its mount spacer (which must have sample variation in size/fit) being replaced.

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1? - SIGMA CORPORATION
Thanks for the reply and the link - I will check the link
06-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I appreciate any feedback about how these lenses mount and operate on the K-1.
As mentioned before in this thread, I think, there is some variation out there in Sigma lenses (and maybe K-1 bodies).

Despite being on the Sigma 'problem lens list', my Sigma 70-200 HSM II mounts without any physical contact with the K-1 camera body (ie no scratch), and works fine in all K-1 shooting modes. Just like it has on K-3/K-5/K-x. Ditto for my Sigma 35 f1.4, which also happens to be on the 'problem lens' list.

So the only sure-fire way to find out if you have a 'problem' lens is to mount your lens on a K-1, and see how it goes.
06-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #330

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So the only sure-fire way to find out if you have a 'problem' lens is to mount your lens on a K-1, and see how it goes.
With the 70-200 there could be two problems. The mechanical problem of the lens' bayonet ring leaving a slight scratch or scuff mark on the K-1's body is real, and depending on the age of the lens there might be an additional software compatibility issue.
The older variants of this lens identify themselves with LensID "8 255" and cause the K-1 to freeze. They can't be used on the K-1 at all. Newer variants use LensID "8 16" and work fine.

You can check that using exiftool on images you took with your pre-K-1 camera.

According to other users, the older variant of the lens also caused problems with older bodies such as the K-5 and K-3, but not as severe as a complete camera lock-up. Here AF functionality in liveview mode was more or less inexistent.

There seems to be the possibility of Sigma updating the lens' firmware, and since the lens has to be sent in to Sigma anyway (due to the mechanical problem) they could fix that too.

[Update]

I've just found an updated statement from Sigma

https://www.sigma-foto.de/service/servicehinweise/aktuelle-serviceinfos/upda...er-pentax-k-1/
(the link itself is in german, but the content is in english)

where Sigma offers repair of scratched K-1 bodies:
QuoteQuote:
【In case of scratch on the PENTAX K-1 camera body】
In case your PENTAX K-1 camera body has got a scratch from attaching aforementioned lenses, we are planning to repair the damaged part of camera body, too.
The detail of repair will be announced later, and we would probably ask customers to send the camera body and lens to us.
* Once we receive the camera body, we would ask RICOH IMAGING or its authorized repair stores to repair it.
We will inform the lead time for repair, and return the body and lens as quick as possible.

Last edited by funktionsfrei; 06-04-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: updated Sigma statement