Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 01:59 AM   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,747
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote

I've just found an updated statement from Sigma
Thanks, Funktionsfei ... it was actually already reported and discussed here during the week. ☺





06-04-2016, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #332
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 115
Well, redundancy is what makes the internet tick ...
06-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #333
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,747
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Well, redundancy is what makes the internet tick ...
I like that! ☺

06-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #334
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,552
Thanks for the feedback about both lenses. My inclination is to postpone buying the K1 until I can insure that my copy of the 70-200 Sigma lens works electrically or software wise with the K-1 and that I can get both the 70-200 and 150-500 lenses modified to fit the K-1. While I would enjoy the K-1 for my interior panorama/virtual tour photography and also for my macro photography I find it very disappointing that a question exists about the Sigma lenses. Since wildlife photography is currently the majority of my photography efforts I may just wait for the K3 follow on.
While Pentax could take a very parochial view that this is a Sigma problem my sense is that would be shortsighted. Pentax needs more, no a lot more third party lens support not less. Sigma is the company that offers the most third party lenses but the trend at Sigma seems to be to offer fewer Pentax offerings.
My hope is that Pentax sees this "glitch" as an opportunity to work with Sigma to help fix this issue which might offer some encouragement for Sigma to offer more Pentax K mount lenses. I hope this is the case. If the situation resolves itself quickly I will get the K-1 and also the K-3 follow on.

06-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #335
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 115
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
until I can insure that my copy of the 70-200 Sigma lens works electrically or software wise
Have you checked the LensID reported by exiftool? You'll just need an image taken with some Pentax DSLR and the 70-200, and run the following command line with it:
Code:
exiftool -b -LensID yourimage.jpg
(also works on .dng and .pef files)

If the result is "8 255", your lens needs a firmware upgrade, if it's "8 16", it does not and will work fine on the K-1.

The mechanical problem is not so severe that you'd be unabled to attach the lens, it just leaves a small scuff mark. Yes, that's something it shouldn't, but it's not severe damage to the camera, it's mostly a cosmetical problem.

Of course you might want to wait a while 'till you get yourself a copy of the K-1 - maybe it's price will drop (something I doubt for the foreseeable future due to the demand, which seems to be quite high).
06-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #336
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,552
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Have you checked the LensID reported by exiftool? You'll just need an image taken with some Pentax DSLR and the 70-200, and run the following command line with it:
Code:
exiftool -b -LensID yourimage.jpg
(also works on .dng and .pef files)

If the result is "8 255", your lens needs a firmware upgrade, if it's "8 16", it does not and will work fine on the K-1.

The mechanical problem is not so severe that you'd be unabled to attach the lens, it just leaves a small scuff mark. Yes, that's something it shouldn't, but it's not severe damage to the camera, it's mostly a cosmetical problem.

Of course you might want to wait a while 'till you get yourself a copy of the K-1 - maybe it's price will drop (something I doubt for the foreseeable future due to the demand, which seems to be quite high).
Thanks - I will check it this week. I will need to download a copy of exiftool. Is there a link that shows what Sigma LensID's will not work with the K-1? Is this unique to the 70-200? Thanks.
06-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #337
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 115
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Is there a link that shows what Sigma LensID's will not work with the K-1? Is this unique to the 70-200?
That was discussed in various threads in this forum. The offending lens, the 70-200/2.8 APO DG Macro II HSM, comes with two different LensID values. Both are listed on the exiftool website:
Pentax Tags

The presumably* older variant of that lens, which I happen to have purchased somewhen in 2010, is the one using the LensID value "8 255" (some other Sigma lenses use the same value and can be discerned only by analyzing some other values in combination).

As was pointed out by forum member stevebrot in this posting https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319686-k-1-3rd-party-lens-...ml#post3623304, the other variant uses the LensID value "8 16".

Forum member disasterfim states that there exists a firmware upgrade in this posting https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319686-k-1-3rd-party-lens-...ml#post3620715 and that that upgrade cured liveview AF problems with the combination of that lens and the K-5 IIs.


*) I presume that the problematic lens is the older edition, since I've bought mine in 2010 and it was discontinued somewhen in 2012

Last edited by funktionsfrei; 06-04-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: lens age estimation clarification
07-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #338
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
SIGMA lenses

When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1, the upper part of the mount can be scratched.

Hi all .... just noticed this alert while reading a review of the K1 on the dpreview site ... I have recently purchased Sigma 35mm ART lens and have used if for a few shoots.... I have taken the lens of since reading about this issue. I am not seeing any scratches to the face of the camera where the lens attaches ... is this the area I should be looking? I love the images the lens is producing .... should I discontinue using? I am still within my 30 day return period to send the lens back .... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken

07-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #339
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,940
QuoteOriginally posted by highermonkey Quote
I am not seeing any scratches to the face of the camera where the lens attaches...
Don't look at the (metal) mount.

Look at the area above the mount.

Some (not all) copies of the listed Sigma lenses touch the K-1's body when mounted.

If you have a good copy of the lens, and it indeed scratches your K-1, I wouldn't return it but sent it to Sigma for a free conversion of the mount so that it does not scratch the camera anymore. You may even be eligible for a scratch removal for the camera, but frankly, if the camera is otherwise OK, I wouldn't ship it around for that, if I were you.
07-10-2016, 03:08 AM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,747
QuoteOriginally posted by highermonkey Quote
When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1, the upper part of the mount can be scratched.

Hi all .... just noticed this alert while reading a review of the K1 on the dpreview site ... I have recently purchased Sigma 35mm ART lens and have used if for a few shoots.... I have taken the lens of since reading about this issue. I am not seeing any scratches to the face of the camera where the lens attaches ... is this the area I should be looking? I love the images the lens is producing .... should I discontinue using? I am still within my 30 day return period to send the lens back .... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken
I had my 35mm Art done (and 150-500). They replace the whole mount. Get in early because they guess at how many replacement parts go out to the authorised repairers.

07-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #341
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks so much for your advice ... I have opted to send the lens back for a full refund .... regrettably as the lens produces wonderful images .... in hopes of new Sigma ART offerings. In the mean time I have a Pentax smc FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited and all though a bit slow to focus and after micro focus adjustments it will get me through until more lenses become available. Best!

Ken
07-28-2016, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #342
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 315
Repairs have been on hold due to lack of components. It's now resuming. ?Pentax K-1? ? resuming repair service - SIGMA CORPORATION
07-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #343
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,602
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Repairs have been on hold due to lack of components. It's now resuming.
Good to hear.

Time to package up my 35 f1.4 and 70-200 HSM II, and send them off for surgery.
07-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #344
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 77
Thank you Sigma USA!

Replaced flange for the K-1 issue on my 2 lenses affected
SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
at no cost, no requirements, just send your lens, it will be repaired, send back to you for free via UPS 3 day; great service
I send it before parts arrived so I had to wait for parts, now they are K-1 fit..
Attached Images
 
07-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #345
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 5,573
QuoteOriginally posted by Rudy Quote
Thank you Sigma USA!

Replaced flange for the K-1 issue on my 2 lenses affected
SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
at no cost, no requirements, just send your lens, it will be repaired, send back to you for free via UPS 3 day; great service
I send it before parts arrived so I had to wait for parts, now they are K-1 fit..
Great service. Sigma are to be congratulated

Ironically, with the number of lenses they're getting back for modification, hopefully they'll see that there's significant demand from Pentax users for Sigma lenses, and maybe they'll start to produce more models for us. I like their products... I have the 17-50 f/2.8 on my K-3 and it's a great bit of kit; so too is the 18-300 superzoom...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
announcement about k-1, body, camera, compatibility, design, dozen, dslr, full frame, full-frame, issue, k-1, k-1 lens, k1, lens, lenses, mount, nikon, pentax, pentax k-1, pka, scratch, sigma, sigma announcement, space, third party lenses
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my 1-k words about the K-1 jimr-pdx Pentax Full Frame 35 05-15-2016 02:32 PM
Question How to Unpin the 'Pentax K-1 Full Frame' announcement at the top of page mee Site Suggestions and Help 8 02-26-2016 09:00 AM
Announcement no one is talking about: Macro converter GM-1 astron Ricoh GR 4 02-23-2016 02:31 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 50mm f1:2.8 K-A Mount 1:1 Macro Manual Focus Lens $85 shipped to US Archimedes the Dog Sold Items 7 11-28-2015 09:46 AM
Dreaming about next PMA announcement regken Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-28-2007 08:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top