Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 129 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma announcement about K-1 lens issue

Sigma has just announced that a number of their current and past lenses may damage the K-1 mount.

Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1 - SIGMA CORPORATION

Not very happy news, but I figured it's something owners would want to know asap.

05-11-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It means that Sigma even can't produce 100% the same K-mount and has no any agreement with Ricoh-Pentax about producing lenses with mount K.
05-11-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

But what does it mean?

It sounds like they are saying Pentax made the K-1 mount ring dimensions physically different from previous cameras, or something.

QuoteQuote:
Phenomenon
When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1, the upper part of the mount can be scratched.
※This phenomenon is due to the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1 camera body and it does not occur to any cameras other than PENTAX K-1.
[...]

Usage Notice for customers who are using Pentax mount SIGMA lenses on a PENTAX K-1
In some cases, depending on the lenses to be attached on the camera, the angle-of-view cannot be recognized automatically. Please select an angle-of-view that is appropriate for the lenses to be attached from “Crop” in the camera’s menu.
05-11-2016, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Since the problem does not exist with any other K mount camera, instead of blaming Sigma I would suggest Ricoh has made a subtle change to the mount of K1 which has caused this issue. How can you read it any other way. Perhaps the problem exists with Tamron lenses also.

Kevin

05-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does this apply to sigma lens that's not in that list? (I have a a 17-70 2.8-4)
05-11-2016, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #6

This bewilders me. The mount couldn't have changed, how could it? It's been the same since forever. Otherwise, even Pentax's own lenses would scratch the mount.

Very strange.

I assume that once they have all the details, the service will be done at the cost of Sigma, right?
05-11-2016, 04:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In the beginning of the document it says:
"We have found that some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount could leave a small scratch on part of the camera body when they are attached to the PENTAX K-1".

I read that as a scratch to the body just above the mount ring and not as a scratch to the ring itself.
I know that it reads further down that the scratch could be on the mount, but I think that's just a translation error. I could of course be wrong. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has both a K-1 and a listed Sigma lens.

05-11-2016, 04:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a little bit confusing, but in reading that announcement it sounds like to me that they might be talking about the part of the body that slopes forward, just above the actual metal mount, that is actually getting scratched.

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 07:27 AM ----------

What Bengan just said.
05-11-2016, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Everyone should know by now that Sigma DOES NOT pay a license fee to camera manufactures. Sigma reverse engineers their lens to work with the various camera bodies to avoid paying the license fee. Therefore, Sigma must continually upgrade their firmware and hardware for the lens to work the new cameras bodies be it Nikon, Canon or Pentax. This is why Sigma brought out the docking station to easily upgrade the firmware.
05-11-2016, 04:28 AM   #10
Forum Member

Perhaps it's on the body inside the mount?

Ronnie
05-11-2016, 04:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you read the release carefully it says that the Sigma lens can leave a small scratch on the camera body... not the mount. The clearance where the body overhangs the top part of the mount is pretty tight so perhaps that's the issue. The mount per se has not changed but the body dimensions have. I don't have any of the affected lenses so I'm not terribly worried about it but I will certainly be mindful when considering future purchases. As I understand it, Sigma does not use the standard K-mount but have rather reverse engineered a compatible mount. They probably missed something in the dimensions that didn't matter until now.
05-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Are Sigma saying some of their lenses are having trouble with this?

05-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Are Sigma saying some of their lenses are having trouble with this?
That was what I was thinking.

Ronnie
05-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Crap all of my FF Sigma lenses are listed and these were what I was counting on using non cropped. I think Karma is telling me to stick with just using my wonderful K3ll and K5lls.
05-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert has been using his 50-500 OS on his K1. He has not mentioned any problems yet.