Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 129 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, Sigma, you'd better pull your fingers out and correct this in your next design, hadn't you?

Karmic justice would be the K-1 making a huge splash and Sigma being stuck with bridges burned and no suitable new lenses to put on it. I'm eagerly waiting to see what happens when the K-1 meets the K-mount Lomography lenses. If they can get it right, and if Tamron can get it right (which we know they can, unless the Pentax versions had their outer dimensions trimmed to fit), the onus is back on Sigma to sort this out.

05-11-2016, 05:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
That was what I was thinking.
It's either that, or a K-1 body design issue similar to an earlier K-30 design problem. The K-30 reportedly had a problem with the prominent 'brow' or forward protrusion of the pentaprism (with the Pentax logo on it) over the lens mount, which meant a few lenses (some tilt-shift designs, IIRC) were obstructed and could not mount properly on the K-30.
05-11-2016, 05:17 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Ever since the first official photos of K1 I didn't like the front design, thinking that this exact problem would occur.

I have the Sigma 70-200 II they mentioning in the list and if you compare the mount used in that lens to the original K mount on any pentax lens, you will notice that the sigma have a bigger diameter mount.

That is most likely the cause. The body part above the mount is almost flat to the mount in the K1 and doesn't have the recess like the K3 or K5.

(sorry for the lack of a pic to compare the mounts, I doesn't have the sigma with me right now)
Attached Images

05-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I read that as a scratch to the body just above the mount ring and not as a scratch to the ring itself.
Exactly. Judging from pictures the metal mount ring is exactly the same on the K-3 and K-1, what is different is that there is way more space above the mount on the K-3 with the plastic going up vertically for a bit, whereas on the K-1 it almost immediately starts to be inclined forward. I assume it is there that the Sigma lenses scratch the body.

More importantly though, this does not bode well for potential future Sigma lens releases for K-mount. I doubt they will re-engineer their lenses to fit the K-1.

05-11-2016, 05:19 AM   #20
Forum Member

Just took my 35Art off. From a quick inspection, I'm not seeing any scratches on the mount surface, inner ring, or body. The lens doesn't touch any part of the body from the mount all the way up to the overhang either. I'm curious what fix they will be implementing.
05-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM on it and noticed no problems at all. It was the first one mounted.
05-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This seams to be unrelated to the previously reported "freeze-up"-problem.

05-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
the service will be done at the cost of Sigma, right
Why? The purchasers did not get them to use on a then non-existent K1, nor did Sigma advertise they would be compatible with it.

Obviously there's a cat and mouse game going on with 3d party lens vendors and oems, who want you to stick to their far more expensive oem lenses.

I had a similar experience with buying a Rebel Ti and a tamron (IIRC) zoom from KEH about 10-years ago. I specifically wanted that zoom, because it was wide (24-80) and aspherical (and of course, in eos mount).

Unfortunately, although the zoom mounted fine, the Rebel Ti electronics would not recognize it. I sent it back to KEH, but after paying shipping and import duty on it I still was out fifty bucks.

I wrongly assumed KEH would not send me an incompatible body-lens combo -- but for all they knew, I might have intended to use the lens on a different body.
05-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma UK currently have my 70-200 HSM II. If this is going to take long to resolve i'll probably sell it and buy a Tamron instead.
I also have the 150-500mm too. Jeez.
05-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I think we need more info. I have two Sigmas and I am sure sigma will work out a fix. With the popularity of the K1 right now Sigma will make sure they can sell product into the Kmount market.
05-11-2016, 05:58 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Well, Sigma, you'd better pull your fingers out and correct this in your next design, hadn't you?

Karmic justice would be the K-1 making a huge splash and Sigma being stuck with bridges burned and no suitable new lenses to put on it. I'm eagerly waiting to see what happens when the K-1 meets the K-mount Lomography lenses. If they can get it right, and if Tamron can get it right (which we know they can, unless the Pentax versions had their outer dimensions trimmed to fit), the onus is back on Sigma to sort this out.
Except Sigma lenses work on all the other manufacturers' cameras, and on all Pentax bodies except for the K-1. I find it hard to see Sigma at fault here, rather Pentax should have tested whether existing third-party lenses fit on the K-1 when they were developing it. They don't have a crystal ball at the Sigma head office.
05-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
Sigma UK currently have my 70-200 HSM II. If this is going to take long to resolve i'll probably sell it and buy a Tamron instead.
I also have the 150-500mm too. Jeez.
Sorry to be OOT, but just curious.

I tried mounting the 150-500 on Monday as I did not see this advisory and the K1 froze when switched it on with the 150-500 attached. Does anyone else here have the problem?

I wanted to purchase from a seller but the deal went flat due to this reason.
05-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though my sigma lens wasn't on the list, I checked and didn't see any scratches on my K-1. I won't use it on it to be safe and get more info.
05-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
That is most likely the cause. The body part above the mount is almost flat to the mount in the K1 and doesn't have the recess like the K3 or K5.
Although we are speculating, maybe it is indeed the little ridge above the lens mount that causes the 'scratching' and other problems Sigma reports.

Pentax seem to like to put lumps and bumps in front of their lens mount (and hotshoe ...) that other camera makers seem to avoid.

Must be hard to be a 3rd party lens maker like Sigma. Need to cope with all these design variations.
05-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Except Sigma lenses work on all the other manufacturers' cameras, and on all Pentax bodies except for the K-1. I find it hard to see Sigma at fault here, rather Pentax should have tested whether existing third-party lenses fit on the K-1 when they were developing it. They don't have a crystal ball at the Sigma head office.
Totally agree. If all sigma lenses fit other Pentax cameras, this means they never changed the mount. I don't think it's there fault. Just my thoughts.