Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 06:13 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Why? The purchasers did not get them to use on a then non-existent K1, nor did Sigma advertise they would be compatible with it.
It’s a shame people blame third party vendors for this as if they are fortune tellers. It reminds me of the out lash Adobe got when the retina iMac was released and Lightroom was very slow. Everyone started yelling at Adobe but it’s not like Apple worked with them so they would have an update so that their software would be efficient with a 5k display. The hip thing is to develop these technologies in secret, release them and let the third party manufactures scramble.

05-11-2016, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Except Sigma lenses work on all the other manufacturers' cameras, and on all Pentax bodies except for the K-1. I find it hard to see Sigma at fault here, rather Pentax should have tested whether existing third-party lenses fit on the K-1 when they were developing it. They don't have a crystal ball at the Sigma head office.
Interesting point of view. Ricoh/Pentax should research, test and modify their design to ensure backward compatibility with a third party product that pays no licence fee to them?

Clearly if the lenses are a problem on the K-1 that's not ideal and will likely upset owners of these lenses, but given that Ricoh/Pentax provide backward compatibility with 40+ years of OEM lenses, along with a huge range of third party lenses...are we asking too much for them to please all of the people all of the time?

Anyway, as a non-owner of a K-1 a non-issue for me currently...just my two cents.

Cheers
Dean
05-11-2016, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #33

Except Sigma lenses work on all the other manufacturers' cameras, and on all Pentax bodies except for the K-1. I find it hard to see Sigma at fault here, rather Pentax should have tested whether existing third-party lenses fit on the K-1 when they were developing it. They don't have a crystal ball at the Sigma head office.
For Pentax to check every 3rd party K mount lens that is out there would be incredibly expensive and time consuming! But then why on earth should they even contemplate doing so? Pentax make some very fine lenses of their own. That fit and work perfectly. If Sigma paid Pentax for using the mount then perhaps I would expect a little more cooperation between them. But I do not believe this to be the case.
I have every sympathy with those who are affected. And I hope that a resolution can be found swiftly so that we can all enjoy this fine camera to the full.
05-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Pentax is Doomed??? I hope this can be resolved

05-11-2016, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

I find it hard to see Sigma at fault here, rather Pentax should have tested whether existing third-party lenses fit on the K-1 when they were developing it. They don't have a crystal ball at the Sigma head office.
They wouldn’t need a crystal ball if they had bought the lens specifications from Pentax.

Instead they reverse engineered some of the specifications and took it from there. Turns out they didn’t get all of the size restrictions right.
05-11-2016, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #36

Photos: Gallery
I think this is a tempest in a Tea Pot. Meh - a Sigma lens may or may not put a scratch on a K-1 body. According to Sigma - they might. According to the people who have put the lenses on - they don't. Now it is possible that manufacturing tolerances might come into play here, and since Sigma doesn't know Pentax's manufacturing tolerances - Sigma is just being cautious and trying to cover their bets.

Bottom line - if your lens doesn't bind you're fine.
05-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crap. I was planning to use the Sigma 35mm Art 1.4 on my future K-1.

05-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone think this might be a hit job to take the steam out of the K-1's powerful entry onto the market?
Basically, Pentax needs third party lens support. And saying that you can't use the most popular Sigma lenses on Pentax camera can be very damaging to Pentax. Is it possible that someone paid out Sigma to make this statement?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's either that, or a K-1 body design issue similar to an earlier K-30 design problem. The K-30 reportedly had a problem with the prominent 'brow' or forward protrusion of the pentaprism (with the Pentax logo on it) over the lens mount, which meant a few lenses (some tilt-shift designs, IIRC) were obstructed and could not mount properly on the K-30.
That's what I thought, but it still seems unlikely. Especially because some of the new and upcoming DFA lenses have a big diameter, as well.

Maybe someone who has K-1 and one of those Sigma lenses can look at the clearance, how much space is left, if scratching is inevitable
05-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I think we need more info.

Bingo. So far, the people in this thread with affected lenses have mentioned not seeing any "intereference" related issues (me being one). My lens housing clears the body cleanly, so it's still a mystery as to what they are on about. It may be that Sigma is playing it safe by releasing a large list when they've only confirmed a problem on a particular lens thus far.

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Maybe someone who has K-1 and one of those Sigma lenses can look at the clearance, how much space is left, if scratching is inevitable

Not a lot of space, but enough to not be concerned

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Crap. I was planning to use the Sigma 35mm Art 1.4 on my future K-1.

No issue with this one. At least as far as Sigma has explained the issue to be.
05-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
a Sigma lens may or may not put a scratch on a K-1 body. According to Sigma - they might. (...) Sigma is just being cautious and trying to cover their bets.

Bottom line - if your lens doesn't bind you're fine.
Tottaly agreed in that.

Maybe the copy to copy tolerances are touching the limits of compatibility in this case.

Also, if mine was/will made a scratch on the body, but works as it have to, I particularly would not bother at all. (specially if it was a tiny one ;D)
05-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

That's what Dremels are for. I have 4 of the lenses on this list, and the total to replace them with equivalent Pentax kit would be well over $10k, much cheaper to modify the camera. The fact that they or their beta testers didn't test/discover this over the years of development is baffling to say the least. If they want good uptake of the camera make it compatible with the main lenses on the market.
05-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I have been using my Sigma 85mm a lot since getting the K-1. No problems what so ever.

05-11-2016, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

So because Sigma refuse to pay Pentax for the right to use their mount, Rioch should 'test' these 'non' K mount offering and change there specified design and clearances to match Sigmas Made up design !??

Ignoring Pentax lost licencing fees and Pentax's lost sales to competitors what reason have Ricoh to change their design to fit someone else's made up spec ?

I do see a flaw in your expectation

If any current Pentax lenses failed to fit then maybe you'd have a point but it appears the k-1 matches Pentax K-mount design specification and so ALL Oem lenses fit without issue.

Oh and Sigma Lens do not work on all manufacturers bodies both Canon and Nikon Owners are used to having to send their Sigma lens for FW updates to be compatible with new models (that is until Sigma drop support on that lens then your stuck with a white elephant)

You pay a low price for Sigma for a reason don't expect OEM's to carry the cost of your decisions. This is Sigma's Issue and the contract between yourself and Sigma are where you need to be looking for restitution.
05-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Phrase it however you like but if Pentax modifies it's mount in order to exclude previously perfectly usable third party lenses, lots of people will dump Pentax and run, they shouldn't be so smug.
05-11-2016, 07:11 AM - 3 Likes   #45
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't have any opinion about whether Sigma is right to make K-mount products without a license, but I do see a lack of common sense on their part. It appears that Sigma have sold no less than eleven lens models in K-mount that are fatter around the mount than any Pentax made K-mount lens in history. That is just asking for trouble. You would think it would make sense to build your lenses within the size dimensions of the largest Pentax made lens, so that this issue could never occur.

It looks like the prism is set quite far forward on the K-1 compared to other cameras, so I imagine the forward slant was necessary for that and is not some kind of cosmetic flourish. You can't blame Ricoh for not adhering Sigma's lens specifications, which I'm sure were not decided in consultation with Pentax, Ricoh or any other manufacturer. So, it's only right that Sigma takes in upon themselves to fix it, which is what they seem to be doing. I just hope that it ends up easy for users to get their lenses working properly.

Actually, I don't think either side comes off looking bad here, as long as Sigma is proactive in fixing the issue.