Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It would hardly take a lot of time or resources to take a couple dozen of the more popular third party lenses out there and take five minutes per lens to make sure they work as they should. That's a job an intern can do in a day, or maybe a week if they want to be really thorough.
So Pentax should buy a couple of dozen lenses from it`s competitor just to make sure they work ok with their new design camera?!!! And maybe alter their carefully crafted design to accommodate a rival`s lens? Or perhaps alter the software to suite?

If Sigma want to sell lenses that work with a camera manufacturers equipment then there is no reason why they shouldn't, But it is up to them to keep pace, or at least catch up. Not the other way around!

I gave up buying independent lenses 40 years ago, And would never consider going back to one!

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 04:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and the prize goes to ShiftR for coming up with the goods. Thumbs down to Pentax for cutting things a little close here. I suspect that clearance with some Pentax product might be a little tight as well.

Steve
I have just tried my 24-70,70-200 and 150-450 they all have 5mm clearances

05-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeteL Quote
they all have 5mm clearances
5mm! You are plush with space! (0.5mm ??)

Steve
05-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've asked Sigma to post the 70-200 HSM II back to me. I'm selling it, can't wait for them to sort this out. Could literally be months. Tamron here we come.
05-11-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Rupert has been using his 50-500 OS on his K1. He has not mentioned any problems yet.
I've mounted my Bigma several times.....can see or feel no scratches or resistance when mounting. I'm wondering if this is truly a problem or if there is something else and they are using this as cover? I don't trust Sigma much lately...too many bad experiences with too many of their products by too many people.

Regards!

05-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
I've asked Sigma to post the 70-200 HSM II back to me. I'm selling it, can't wait for them to sort this out. Could literally be months. Tamron here we come.
Be sure to disclose to the buyer when you do sell and expect to apply a discount too.

Steve
05-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So how would a lens scratch the body? Is the plastic housing running into the pentaprism housing above the mount? I'm sure it is not inside the mount, or they wouldn't say the body. When it would hike against the body when mount it would eventually scratch it. But they say it could scratch the body. So you probably would have to be careful when mounting.

This is a DC 30mm 1.4:

nothing strange.
05-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Standard mount? I did a quick survey of my lens shelf and wider diameter lens flange (or body for those that are flush-mounted) are remarkably common. What is strange is that the body flange diameter varies between Pentax camera models over the years. Pentax body to Pentax lens, the lens/body flange diameters from my collection are not a consistent match.

I expect that other clearance issues with the K-1 may crop up. I took a look at my PKA Adaptall-2 and am not sure that it would clear the K-1 body.

Steve
With the current issue, will we see trouble with older Pentax lenses? As I've always said, I'm not a techy guy and to me, if it fits one, it'll fit all.

05-11-2016, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteL Quote
So Pentax should buy a couple of dozen lenses from it`s competitor just to make sure they work ok with their new design camera?!!!
Yes, they should. I don't understand what you find so preposterous about it. They know their customers will mount third party lenses, so they should make sure it works.
05-11-2016, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Anyone think this might be a hit job to take the steam out of the K-1's powerful entry onto the market?
"WAAAAAAH! We cut and run on the K mount and now Pentax have this great new camera and we aren't making lenses for the mount anymore and Tamron and Lomography are eating our breakfast, WAAAAAAAH! Those evil Pentaxians will pay for this! WAAAAAH!!"
05-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #70

Yes, they should. I don't understand what you find so preposterous about it. They know their customers will mount third party lenses, so they should make sure it works.
I have to disagree with that. Pentax (and any company for that matter) should make sure they are releasing a product that works in their ecosystem. They want people to buy Pentax lenses, not a competitor one. Heck some companies produce products that are purposely not compatible with competitor so they can have all sales related to their system. Heck I would even go farther and say they don't even have to make their mount backward compatible, but they do we like it and it's a good thing for old pentax lens holder.
05-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Yeah that's why Canon and Nikon are actively blocking third party batteries and Nikon is frustrating Sigma by making changes to it's protocol. At least Pentax Ricoh isn't actively doing that. Maybe sigma should take into account larger tolerances when designing their lenses.
05-11-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To a degree I agree with you. It's not entirely Pentax's responsibility, but If you were choosing new FF camera bodies the lens cost factor could massively affect your choice of brand.
A set of FF Pentax zooms is very costly!
05-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #73

5mm! You are plush with space! (0.5mm ??)

Steve
The new lenses have a taper towards the lens throat. Bags of room!
05-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
So I put the 35 A under some goooood lighting, and I unfortunately have to retract my previous statements. I can see the interference they are talking about, which isn't where I was even looking initially. There is also a slight rub in the body. That being said, it's not at a level to stop me from using the lens just yet. I'm guessing the repair for this will be machining a sharper edge angle of the mount by a hair. Picture attached. You probably need to zoom in a bit.
This explains it. Sigma is making very wide lens bodies to accommodate big elements (wider image circle so the corners are sharper), they simply made the outer dimensions of the lens mount larger. It is sigma violating specs here. They should shrink it by half a mm and there isn't a problem.
05-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Standard mount? I did a quick survey of my lens shelf and wider diameter lens flange (or body for those that are flush-mounted) are remarkably common.

Steve
Strange everyone of my Pentax lens have almost identical mount diameters that is 12 lens ranging in age over 30 years.

The largest is the da40 limited that is maybe .1mm larger than the smallest - BUt My Sigma 70-200 is 1.5mm larger that 15 times bigger !!

We generally say 10X bigger breaks it in all design considerations.

Only my non pentax lens show any serious variance

---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So how would a lens scratch the body? Is the plastic housing running into the pentaprism housing above the mount? I'm sure it is not inside the mount, or they wouldn't say the body. When it would hike against the body when mount it would eventually scratch it. But they say it could scratch the body. So you probably would have to be careful when mounting.

This is a DC 30mm 1.4:

nothing strange.
You see that big silver bit with the screws in ? - That shouldn't exist on a PKa mount

You see the inner knurl just outside the contacts area that pretty much the limit for a standard PKa mount