Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Someone on FB showed it. It is a tiny, tiny scratch on the body, something most wouldn't even notice. There was even a pic of where the lens is contacting the body. Personally, I am not worried about that and mine works just fine.

05-11-2016, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
I have to disagree with that. Pentax (and any company for that matter) should make sure they are releasing a product that works in their ecosystem. They want people to buy Pentax lenses, not a competitor one. Heck some companies produce products that are purposely not compatible with competitor so they can have all sales related to their system. Heck I would even go farther and say they don't even have to make their mount backward compatible, but they do we like it and it's a good thing for old pentax lens holder.
The problem is that Pentax does not exactly have the luxury of a large, modern, 35mm lens line up.

Given that Pentax users have often had to rely on third parties for certain lens types - notably fast 70-200s from Sigma and Tamron and larger telephotos in general - I think it is shortsighted of Pentax not to check for these kinds of issues.

No one is saying that they MUST do it, but the absolutely last thing Pentax wants is for the "Pentax has no lenses" argument to be given credence by the largest third party lens maker saying "some of our lenses should not be mounted on the K1".
05-11-2016, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter

Not enough of a problem for me to worry about:

05-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The problem is that Pentax does not exactly have the luxury of a large, modern, 35mm lens line up.
".
Rather the supplier you link doesn't stock many Pentax K mount lens !
or your search is very poor - which given your results I think is closer to the truth

You list show 29 from all manufacturers of which many are 645 so not K anyway

try this for a better list
PENTAX K Mount Lenses | SRS Microsystems

42 genuine OeM K mount lens
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/lenses/sigma-lenses/sigma-pentax-mount-lenses.html
20 Sigma K mount lens
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/lenses/tamron-lenses/tamron-pentax-mount-lenses.html

To be fair a proper filter on Adorama
http://www.adorama.com/l/Lenses/SLR-Lenses?sel=Lens-Mount_Pentax-K

Shows they stock 122 K mount lens (just a little more than your 29 )
Canon and Nikon have about 450 so many more but how many lens counts as enough ??
Sigma only have 66, Sony 200 and 4/3 22

Again this is what Adorama stock not what is in the retail market.

I think quite rightly Pentax/Ricoh couldn't care less is the largest reverse engineering company has burnt their fingers (again)

Last edited by awaldram; 05-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.
05-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This probably means that other lenses that "goes fat very close to the mount" also cannot be mounted...like many mirror lenses.
05-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #81
Veteran Member

It seems to me that we would all benefit by being calm.

Just stay CALM.

The tendency is to jump and react, and that's quite natural.

But we need to remain calm, a bit more time, until this episode unfolds a bit more, and the true situation is better understood, in detail.

Otherwise there'll be plenty of stress all around, stress that may not actually be necessary nor desirable.
05-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
You see that big silver bit with the screws in ? - That shouldn't exist on a PKa mount You see the inner knurl just outside the contacts area that pretty much the limit for a standard PKa mount
I already found out. Pentax did make the mountplate on the body a bit wider though (to accommodate wr).

05-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #83
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Since the problem does not exist with any other K mount camera, instead of blaming Sigma I would suggest Ricoh has made a subtle change to the mount of K1 which has caused this issue. How can you read it any other way. Perhaps the problem exists with Tamron lenses also.

Kevin
Sigma and Tamron make not 100% original of K-mount, but copy. If it's Ricoh problem, all Pentax lenses would have the same issue.
05-11-2016, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Rather the supplier you link doesn't stock many Pentax K mount lens !
or your search is very poor - which given your results I think is closer to the truth
Modern, IOW fast silent AF and in the case of the K1, for optimum performance, discount any lenses that don't adequately cover the FF image circle, not many left to choose from then.
05-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #85
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
In the beginning of the document it says:
"We have found that some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount could leave a small scratch on part of the camera body when they are attached to the PENTAX K-1".
※This phenomenon is due to the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1 camera body

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
If you read the release carefully it says that the Sigma lens can leave a small scratch on the camera body... not the mount. The clearance where the body overhangs the top part of the mount is pretty tight so perhaps that's the issue. The mount per se has not changed but the body dimensions have. I don't have any of the affected lenses so I'm not terribly worried about it but I will certainly be mindful when considering future purchases. As I understand it, Sigma does not use the standard K-mount but have rather reverse engineered a compatible mount. They probably missed something in the dimensions that didn't matter until now.

How to explain
the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1
05-11-2016, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #86

I couldn't even notice this last night, but in broad daylight I do see a fine scratch but it's really no big deal at all. All of my main lenses are Sigmas and most are on that list. But this isn't a fatal problem as I see it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteL Quote
The new lenses have a taper towards the lens throat. Bags of room!
The issue is not with the taper. Look closely at ShiftR's photo to see that the impingement is with the mount flange itself. 5mm minimum would be pretty impressive.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/320805-sigma-announcement-...ml#post3637858

Steve
05-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
So I put the 35 A under some goooood lighting, and I unfortunately have to retract my previous statements. I can see the interference they are talking about, which isn't where I was even looking initially. There is also a slight rub in the body. That being said, it's not at a level to stop me from using the lens just yet. I'm guessing the repair for this will be machining a sharper edge angle of the mount by a hair. Picture attached. You probably need to zoom in a bit.
Ah, that explains it (check the original post, as the quote is missing the photo)
Its really too bad that after the K-30 this issue wasn't thought about more, by Ricoh and Sigma.
I assume a fix is coming soon from Sigma, and hopefully the K-1II will have a steeper angle around the mount.

I assume this might also cause trouble for mirror lenses and possible some T/S lenses at maximum shift.
Stay safe, everyone
05-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is strange is that the body flange diameter varies between Pentax camera models over the years.
not strange They widened it for WR. At some point the stopped using the old mount plate for non wr bodies (k-500 also has a wider plate, as has the K-S1, but the K-01 still had the narrower pre-wr plate)
05-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I think it is a tempest in a teapot. (a) the scratch isn't going to damage the camera and shouldn't decreased resale value or function of the cameras (you did buy the camera to take photos, didn't you?). and (b) it probably isn't Pentax's deal. Obviously Pentax would prefer to sell their own lenses, but further, if Sigma hasn't approached them and indicated a willingness to work with them in production of future k mount and chooses to reverse engineer their lenses, then I am not sure what Pentax is supposed to do.

It isn't as though Sigma has been a huge k mount supporter. They tend to release their lenses late, if at all for k mount, and have a myriad of complaints about the k mount that are just as true about the f mount and their own mount.