Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 129 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #166
Veteran Member

I've just read the entire thread and very interesting it is too, many thanks to all for working out exactly what's going on and why.

I've read some comments about who will have to pay the cost of adapting the 'oversize' Sigma lenses, well I can only speak for the UK (which will be similar to the rest of the EU) and it's fairly clear that it must ultimately be Sigma - though the owner's initial complaint is with the seller. Under the UK's Consumer Rights Act 2015 (as with the earlier Sale of Goods Act), "all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.".

Sigma lenses are sold as follows by one major retailer: "This 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens from Sigma is a zoom lens for digital SLR cameras with a Pentax lens mount. The lens has a standard to ultra telephoto zoom range that is ideal for nature, wildlife, or sports photography. The range translates into an equivalent 75-750mm when used with digital SLR cameras with an APS size chip. The lens is also compatible with full frame cameras."

A Pentax lens mount clearly means a standard Pentax lens mount, so if the lens does not correctly fit a DSLR with a standard Pentax lens mount, it is neither fit for purpose nor as described.

In this case, as long as Sigma or Pentax agree that the mount is outside K-mount specification, and it looks like it is, UK (and probably EU) purchasers should be able to obtain a replacement or repair up to 6 years after purchase... and possibly longer (but I am no legal expert on this). It wouldn't surprise me if for the sake of their good name, Sigma agree to fund the cost of repair or replacement of ALL affected lenses in all Countries but we shall see. If not, they are going to have a lot of small claims court cases to deal with, in the UK at least.

Last edited by Dave L; 05-11-2016 at 06:10 PM.
05-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #167
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Indeed, if I finally end up switching brands after 30+ years of continuous Pentax use it will be to Nikon and I will buy mostly Sigma glass. The body is simply a mirror-box and sensor for my lenses.

I keep considering it myself.. but a switch would be so expensive for me. I have a ton of K lenses and flashes... plus Nikon isn't in such nice shape at the moment.

At least it is nice to know there are options! ..even though the K-1 looks to be a 'better' camera body.

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 08:03 PM ----------

Plot twist: Nikon hemorrhages too much money. Ricoh buys Nikon for pennies on the dollar. All Nikon lenses become converted to K mount. then I wake up from dream.
05-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Plot twist: Nikon hemorrhages too much money. Ricoh Samsung buys Nikon for pennies on the dollar. All Nikon lenses become converted to K NX mount. then I wake up from dream nightmare.
05-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #169
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't do that to my heart..

05-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I keep considering it myself.. but a switch would be so expensive for me. I have a ton of K lenses and flashes... plus Nikon isn't in such nice shape at the moment.

At least it is nice to know there are options! ..even though the K-1 looks to be a 'better' camera body.

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 08:03 PM ----------

Plot twist: Nikon hemorrhages too much money. Ricoh buys Nikon for pennies on the dollar. All Nikon lenses become converted to K mount. then I wake up from dream.
LOL, for sure, I'm in the same boat, I have a lot of capital locked up in K mount lenses and even the thought of the process of swapping leaves me a little sick in the stomach. I'm shooting professionally and it's a very difficult thing to be doing running Pentax K-mount, I love the Pentax philosophy and ergonomics but I won't support their obvious blunders. Nikon has some great product still and significant support in the amateur and professional community.
05-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #171
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While I don't have as many lenses as some here I do have enough to be stuck with Pentax!
05-11-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

As a portability field guy, actually one of the guys Pentax design their camera systems for, at this point I feel both my Sigma lenses were mistakes. I love the images, but the size is in the end prohibitive. Putting my Sigma 70 macro and Sigma 8-16 in the same bag is a weight and volume nightmare. And I only bought the 70 because my wife already had the Tamron 90 that I can use most of the time and 70 is further from 90 than 100 is. It's interesting to see so many people who love their Sigma lenses. More power to me. But as lenses to use in the field, they lack portability. At least mine do. The long range plan is I sell both of them.

05-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
While I don't have as many lenses as some here I do have enough to be stuck with Pentax!
At one time I truly worried K-mount would go away. So I bought and CLA'ed Pentax film cameras as a hedge. *

I just kept telling myself, "Self, you have to think of your Pentax lenses as sunk costs."

* Now that was a long hedge!
05-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #174
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
You have enough lenses to open a rental store.
05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #175
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Has anybody tried mounting any of the Pentax K-mount bellows on the K-1 yet?
I have the Pentax Bellows K and the removable male bayonet is 58mm diameter with a 3mm flange depth (colored silver/black) to the rear standard on the bellows. Below is the K-3 mounted to the bellows (no K-1 yet). As you can see, there is ample clearance with adequate room to mount/unmount the camera with the bayonet attached and for the rail to clear the camera bottom with attached Arca-Swiss plate.

Name:  20160511_180627.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  102.4 KB

I would not anticipate any clearance issues with the K-1 except perhaps for the rail if a QR plate or L-bracket is attached to the camera. (Rail clearance at the rear is essential.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-11-2016 at 06:42 PM.
05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #176

Well my sigma 24-70 that caused my K1 to freeze did not leave a mark on my body but I only put it on the camera twice. I just replaced it with a Pentax FA 24-70 2.8 (expensive but I love it). The second part of the Sigma note was that some lens would not read the correct crop. I have a 70-300 DG that reads as a Crop sensor instead of FF. Not a big issue but an issue just the same. My vote is that this is a Sigma issue 100%.
05-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have enough lenses to open a rental store.
Heh. I actually have one for sale at the moment. I kind of rent them for a year or two.

Truly, it will take a whole year of concentrated work to try them all in anything more than snapshots. Then I'll pare it down to what I'll actually use.
05-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #178
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Thanks Carol! My Bigma seems to clear...but just barely.

Regards!
05-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure there is another such thread somewhere here .... let me see ...

Here ! ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319686-k-1-3rd-party-lens-compatibility.html
and here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/320805-sigma-announcement-...ens-issue.html

Last edited by jpzk; 05-11-2016 at 07:04 PM.
05-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would not anticipate any clearance issues with the K-1 except perhaps for the rail if a QR plate or L-bracket is attached to the camera. (Rail clearance at the rear is essential.)
Thanks. The rear bracket on the auto bellows series is larger and the bayonet adapter is thinner. The rear bracket also has a foot on it. With my K10D there is barely enough clearance for the square base of the lens mount around the foot. To switch for portrait to landscape I have to either turn the entire rig 90° or loosen the retaining screw for the adapter, dismount the adapter (with body) and change the orientation. Unfortunately the only digital camera I have is my K10D so I can't take photos of it mounted on my auto bellows A but I can take photos with my K1000 or Program Plus film bodies. Oh I have a dead ZX-50 too.