Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
When I spoke with the reps at WPPI, they didn't even know that the $19 extended warranty had existed for years. So let me do a little bit more digging on this

I'd still expect it to be valid. If not, Square Trade and other third-party warranties are similarly-priced.
Hi Adam,
Any update about the extended warranty and whether it covers the K-1?

05-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Forum Member

Why not go with SquareTrade? If you are buying from Amazon, the SquareTrade warranty for 4 years (covers accidents also) is $160. Adorama offers similar price for their Leaf warranty that also covers accidents.

There are other warranties like Mack Camera Diamond warranty which is also in the $135-$160 range.
05-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
For USA customers, I hope the third party warranties find a way to bypass Precision Camera.
For SquareTrade, Mack, etc. that is easy enough to determine by reading their terms and conditions.

Steve
05-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

After much hand wringing, I think I've decided to just depend on my credit card's free extended warranty coverage. I'll be covered for two years, instead of three, but it will be free. Hopefully, if something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong in the first two years.

05-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll wait to see what Pentax offers. Frankly, if it breaks on day 366 that will make me darned angry, but I will self-insure rather than SquareTrade.
05-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Hi Adam,
Any update about the extended warranty and whether it covers the K-1?
Not yet. I will post in this thread once I learn more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received an email from B&H stating that they will be checking with Pentax/Ricoh for clarification and hope to have a definitive answer in 2-3 business days. I went to the B&H website and reread the information on the warranty. Nowhere does it state it is for the K-3/K-3II nor does it exclude the K-1, while it explicitly excludes the 645D/Z. When I hear from B&H I will post their answer here.

05-12-2016, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I received a response from Ricoh USA's marketing coordinator today.

The $110 extended warranty DOES cover the K-1. Customer service representatives will be notified of this, and warranty information will be added to the official web site shortly.

@loveisageless @monochrome @rgknief60

I will update the first post of this thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The $110 extended warranty DOES cover the K-1. Customer service representatives will be notified of this, and warranty information will be added to the official web site shortly.

This is great news! I previously was told by Ricoh support that according to corporate policy there was no extended warranty for the K-1, and to ask for a refund. While it's possible that this was a case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing, it's also possible that this is an official change in policy. I'm so glad I don't have to send the warranty card back!

Thanks so much Adam for getting to the bottom of this, and ensuring that we continue to receive top notch service and support for the Pentax products we love!
05-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Glad to hear this! No one at either dealer or Customer Service could actually answer the direct question.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-13-2016 at 03:29 AM.
05-13-2016, 03:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
After further investigation, the extended warranty does cover the K-1.
This is good. I had my tenterhooks in hand but hadn't yet installed them.

Earlier in the week, B&H sales guy and I on the phone had decided this warranty would be the one to use. Being back ordered, it hasn't yet arrived and I was curious whether the card or clarification would arrive first :^) I didn't want to have to return a card only!

I also decided to not use the third part warranties..
05-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This is the one right?

Pentax Extended Warranty for Advanced ADVWARRANTY-ADVILC B&H
05-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

yes

too short..? oh, yes.
05-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter