Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is the K-1 getting the best reception of any camera ever on this forum?

I have been a regular visitor to this forum for many years. I have seen the introduction of many new cameras all the way back to the K20d. From my memory, I think the K-1 has a far higher percentage of glowing reviews to bad reviews of any camera I have seen. I have not been one of those waiting for a full frame camera from Pentax. But... I am always wanting a better tool. I have to admit that I am wishing I had the cash for one based on the glowing reviews. I'm very happy for Pentax to see that this camera has become such a big hit, and I'm happy for all the Pentax folks here that have been waiting for so long that they are happy with what they have received.

Can anyone else think of a Pentax camera this well received here?

05-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I have been a regular visitor to this forum for many years. I have seen the introduction of many new cameras all the way back to the K20d. From my memory, I think the K-1 has a far higher percentage of glowing reviews to bad reviews of any camera I have seen. I have not been one of those waiting for a full frame camera from Pentax. But... I am always wanting a better tool. I have to admit that I am wishing I had the cash for one based on the glowing reviews. I'm very happy for Pentax to see that this camera has become such a big hit, and I'm happy for all the Pentax folks here that have been waiting for so long that they are happy with what they have received.

Can anyone else think of a Pentax camera this well received here?
I'd say it's the best-received Pentax DSLR so far. Pentax fans were of course happy just because it's a full frame, but now that the camera is out, people are starting to recognize it for the image quality above all else.

The only other body that came close (in my opinion) would be the K-5, since at the time it was a huge step up in image quality over anything Pentax had previously released. But can you believe than back in 2010, the K-5 cost just as much as the K-1 does now? (give or take $50)

Overall, I think the K-1 is doing so well because it delivers a lot of features and top-shelf image quality at an extremely competitive price, and it's packed with a handful of innovative technologies. I'd argue that it's even a better value than the 645Z.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-1 is simply the best camera I have ever shot with in my life. The image quality far exceed the Sony A7Rii in my opinion.
05-11-2016, 12:51 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K1 should be here today, and I am hoping that it's crop mode can best the IQ of my K5iis at 80iso.
The beautiful images that come from a K5iis, are best to come out of a Pentax dSLR outside of the 645.

***As I typed this...my K1 showed up from UPS...gotta run now!!!!!

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-11-2016 at 12:58 PM.
05-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My K1 should be here today, and I am hoping that it's crop mode can best the IQ of my K5iis at 80iso.
The beautiful images that come from a K5iis, are best to come out of a Pentax dSLR outside of the 645.
Do you find that the IQ is better at the expanded 80 ISO than 100? I thought that was a small sacrifice in IQ in oder to try and stay at a larger aperature?
05-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Do you find that the IQ is better at the expanded 80 ISO than 100? I thought that was a small sacrifice in IQ in oder to try and stay at a larger aperature?
Well it's not, it is an actual measurable increase in image quality, The 80 setting was the trick that pushed the K-5 to the top of the crop cameras at the time.
05-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love shooting with it... and the more I shoot with it, the more I love it and the more I love it the more and want to shoot it
This is the best camera I have ever laid my hands on. SO glad I didn't changed the System.
(Now lets cross fingers that the prices of the trinity will come down a bit, above all the 15-30 and the 24-70 )

05-11-2016, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

V-A-V Pentax cameras that created great enthusiasm when they were released, it's hard to compare back to film-era cameras as there was nothing equivalent to PF to gauge reaction. However, two Pentax bodies that I suspect were greeted with gasps and/or great enthusiasm: 1) the original ME, no shutter speed dial and incredibly tiny; 2) the LX.
05-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

***As I typed this...my K1 showed up from UPS...gotta run now!!!!!
Keep us updated
05-11-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got back into Pentax (and eventually on to PF) because of the reception of the K10D. For a time it was considered a breakthrough camera.
05-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd say it's the best-received Pentax DSLR so far. Pentax fans were of course happy just because it's a full frame, but now that the camera is out, people are starting to recognize it for the image quality above all else.

The only other body that came close (in my opinion) would be the K-5, since at the time it was a huge step up in image quality over anything Pentax had previously released. But can you believe than back in 2010, the K-5 cost just as much as the K-1 does now? (give or take $50)

Overall, I think the K-1 is doing so well because it delivers a lot of features and top-shelf image quality at an extremely competitive price, and it's packed with a handful of innovative technologies. I'd argue that it's even a better value than the 645Z.
+1 on Adam's points.

Having shot top cameras from Nikon, Canon and even the 645Z, the K1 is by far the deal of the decade. I came from Canon into the Pentax world from K5IIs on and have not looked back. How can you go wrong with K1and the crazy low intro price. Pentax Forums is the coolest forum I have ever participated. It is by default Pentax biased and rightfully so. But when you see all the other forums and sites such as DPreview and Imaging Resoures and everyone else going nuts over the K1, then you know Pentax has a winner like no other.

I did not see the K5 craze but I doubt it was as monumental or historical as the K1.
05-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I remember the K-5 being received warmly, but as is typical with forums like this, there were plenty of complaint threads. I just don't see them with the K-1
05-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the K-1 is such a strong still camera that people are more than willing to overlook the HD and 4K video feature set. It is a very, very good camera for the money. For the money, nothing else really comes close.
05-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I remember the K-5 being received warmly, but as is typical with forums like this, there were plenty of complaint threads. I just don't see them with the K-1
There were issues with marks on the sensor.

I got into pentax at the suggestion of a local camera shop. The K5 was very impressive.

The overwhelming positive reaction to the K1 as well as the striking shots displayed tells me it is a remarkable camera. The specs are good, but more remarkable is the pleasure people are having shooting with it.
05-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think the K-01 was well received too (/sarcasm)