Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting hands-on review of the K-1

Found this on Reddit this morning, thought it was a good review of the K-1 from a working photographer's perspective:

A Real World Review of the Pentax K-1 ? Alan Bailward Photography Blog

05-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. I agree a good review. Interesting comments about the mushy shutter button. Be prepared for a 20 page thread here debating the issue.

One or two nice gig shots too.
05-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

I've also noticed the mushy shutter, but I think it's something I'll get used to. Definitely feels different than my K10D and K-5.
05-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That was a good review with some new points I haven't seen mentioned before, like the loss of the EV bar scale in the top LCD. That’s a bummer.

05-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent review, thanks very much for providing the link. Love his photos.
05-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was surprised as well (also by some other differences to K-5, btw.). It may however be intentional or at least beneficial according to Heie's recommendations on squeezing the shutter in Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds.
05-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I spent a couple of hours shooting action tests yesterday with AF.C - birds and squirrels on my fence. I usually get more in focus action with K5iis, but I thought it's because K-1 is very new to me. Perhaps, that was not only the reason. Perhaps it's the lens? DA*300mm seems focusing slower with K-1 than with K5iis.
Lots of people noticed better AF with K-1, and I don't see that much better so far, need more testing.

05-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
the loss of the EV bar scale in the top LCD
Heh, my thought on this was "So what?" The very first time we saw the external shots of the actual production prototype and the extra control dials, it occurred to me that the entire philosophy of this camera was to enable the user to keep their eye in the viewfinder as much as possible without having to give that LCD a second thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in only because they knew they had to.

The only thing I could possibly ask for is for the +/- on the dial to be adjustable in menus to flash control. It'd be lovely to be able to use that third wheel to tweak the flash power in circumstances where I was shifting between subjects at various ranges and needed to boost things a little. Of course that also depends on how well the AF540FGZ-II copes in PTTL mode on the K-1 - on the K-5 it's a bit lacking sometimes and manual tweaks are necessary.
05-12-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Heh, my thought on this was "So what?" The very first time we saw the external shots of the actual production prototype and the extra control dials, it occurred to me that the entire philosophy of this camera was to enable the user to keep their eye in the viewfinder as much as possible without having to give that LCD a second thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in only because they knew they had to.
It's more discreet to be able to check settings etc without lifting the camera to the eye. Plenty of subjects get a bit stiff when you put the camera to the eye. It's often best to wait for the right moment and lift the camera only then. By peeking at them through the lens they are alerted that you are waiting to photograph them.

I'm sure there are ways around it but it's quite handy to check settings at waist level.
05-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It's more discreet to be able to check settings etc without lifting the camera to the eye. Plenty of subjects get a bit stiff when you put the camera to the eye. It's often best to wait for the right moment and lift the camera only then. By peeking at them through the lens they are alerted that you are waiting to photograph them.

I'm sure there are ways around it but it's quite handy to check settings at waist level.
Flip out the screen! Exposure settings can be viewed on there, I believe.
05-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kvetcha Quote
Flip out the screen! Exposure settings can be viewed on there, I believe.
Because nothing says convienient like flipping out a screen, hitting info button to see exposure settings, checking exposure, hottin info again to turn the screen off, flipping the screen in, then finaply lifting you camera to take a shot

All to accomplish what could have been accomplished with a quick glance before...
05-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sigma 85mm 1.4

I read yesterday where Sigma said there was a problem with the Sigma 85mm 1.4 and the K-1. Sigma Announces Lens Compatibility Issues with K-1 - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

You mentioned you have one, but I was wondering if you've used it yet. If so, were there any problems? I have the same lens as you and got my K-1 yesterday, and would love to try it with the K-1.
05-12-2016, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Because nothing says convienient like flipping out a screen, hitting info button to see exposure settings, checking exposure, hottin info again to turn the screen off, flipping the screen in, then finaply lifting you camera to take a shot

All to accomplish what could have been accomplished with a quick glance before...
(I miss the bigger screen, too, but there are all sorts of other goodies that make up for it.)
05-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #14

Honestly I got used to checking everything on the main LCD of the K-30, to the point that I never really used the little top LCD on my K-3. It is nice for nighttime shooting, so you don't have to view the bright LCD, but I am not at all disappointed in the smaller LCD (I can understand why some are, who rely on it) and am super-excited about a dedicated ISO (etc.) wheel!
05-12-2016, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kvetcha Quote
(I miss the bigger screen, too, but there are all sorts of other goodies that make up for it.)
I know. Still a very nice camera. Im just saying the exposure on the top LCD is a loss none the less.