Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

How does the K1 deal with high temperatures?

I'm dragging my K1 along everywhere and it sometimes gets pretty hot in the car (NOTE: don't panic - I'm not talking about leaving the camera in the car unattended. That kind of deafts the purpose of lugging it around!). When should I start getting worried? Is it just the battery that doesn't like high temperatures?

Last edited by Whateverist; 05-12-2016 at 08:19 AM.
05-12-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
I'm dragging my K1 along everywhere and it sometimes gets pretty hot in the car. When should I start getting worried? Is it just the battery that doesn't like high temperatures?
Never ever leave the camera in the car. Plastic, circuit boards, batteries, solder, just about ever component of your camera will be affected by the expansion and contraction high temps and cooling inflict.

Secondly, you are just asking for it to be stolen. It becomes a high value target that will invite thieves to pick your car over another.

I've had to ask for a table for 4 when there's just 2 of us, because our camera bags go EVERYWHERE with us. I'm obsessive about not subjecting my equipment to such stress.
05-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Never ever leave the camera in the car. Plastic, circuit boards, batteries, solder, just about ever component of your camera will be affected by the expansion and contraction high temps and cooling inflict.

Secondly, you are just asking for it to be stolen. It becomes a high value target that will invite thieves to pick your car over another.

I've had to ask for a table for 4 when there's just 2 of us, because our camera bags go EVERYWHERE with us. I'm obsessive about not subjecting my equipment to such stress.
Same here!
05-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

Original Poster

Just to be clear: I don't leave my gear unattended. But cars get hot during the day and stay that way a bit after you get back to them, load up your stuff and set off for home

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-12-2016 at 09:16 AM.
05-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry too much. My K-5 and K-3 have been with me all day in temperatures up to 45C/115F several times without any apparent adverse effects. I have tried to keep them as much as possible out of direct sunlight, though.

Edit: This has been on foot/camping, though, never in a car. But temperature is temperature.

Last edited by savoche; 05-12-2016 at 11:23 AM.
05-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Same Here! Worse I've done is left a few lower end lenses wrapped well in a case covered up in the back hatch but never for more than 1 or 2 hrs.
More matter what, camera bag and primes are coming with me.
05-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
While I can't find the storage temperature for the K-1, its operating temperature range is -10 to 40C or 14 to 104F. This seems to be a common range on ricoh products, as the theta S has similar operating temperatures (0-40C).
The theta S lists storage temperature as -20C to 60C or -4F to 140F. I would expect Ricoh's listed storage temperature for the K-1 to be similar.

I've had the multicoating on my HTC One M8 fail from leaving it in the car on hot days, so it would be a good idea to keep the gear out of direct sunlight. DSLR lens multicoating might be more durable though, since I haven't had a problem with any of my DSLR lenses (Quantaray/Tamron/Pentax).

K-1 | Ricoh Imaging
RICOH THETA S - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

Last edited by fralexandr; 05-12-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: editing