Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens not listed as WR, are they ?

Hey guys !
Just a quick question for those who might know. When I mount a lens on the K-1, it is a pretty tight fit between the lens mount and the body. I was wondering if third party lens like Sigma/Samyang would be a little resistant to dust and fog for example.

I know the lens listed as WR, AW by pentax can take a lot (looking at youtube videos). Was just wondering if the other lens provide at least dust, fog/light rain resistance ?

I know some of the Canon bodies are not listed as WR but they can take light rain easily.

Any thoughts ?

05-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
I know the lens listed as WR, AW by pentax can take a lot (looking at youtube videos). Was just wondering if the other lens provide at least dust, fog/light rain resistance ?
Yeah, WR and AW are the signs you want to look for. I think * lenses are all AW, but feel free to double check for any lens you might be interested in. You can find this info in the user lens reviews section or in the lens search function.

Yeah, Canon and Nikon often don't advertise WR, but some of their cameras still have some seals. This is to avoid warranty issues, I think. Its a bit confusing in my opinion.

I was wondering if third party lens like Sigma/Samyang would be a little resistant to dust and fog for example.
As far as I know, no third party makes WR lenses now, though I think there were recent rumours that some might be made in the future. The problem is that water and dust can enter through the lens (by the focus ring, aperture ring, or any of the other tiny holes. The mount is another place where things can enter, sure. But the problem is that it is a system. It needs to have seals all over the place, or it is all compromised.
Now, a light drizzle won't kill your gear if you are careful, but I would still rather not risk it. You can put a PVC bag over things to get at least some protection. Third party lenses do not have seals within the lens, on the outside of the lens, or on the mount. Something that seems like a tight fit is just not enough.

Large zoom lenses are the worst, as they act like a pump, and they really move things around. I would not push my luck with Samyang or Sigma gear, or even Pentax gear without WR or AW rating.
05-12-2016, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
As far as I know, no third party makes WR lenses now ...
A lot of lenses have a seal around the lens mount, which obviously does not equate to proper sealing. But the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 features a number of seals, and so do the new 35 and 85 f/1.8.

But that's about it, until the Irix lenses are coming out.
05-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Hey guys !
Just a quick question for those who might know. When I mount a lens on the K-1, it is a pretty tight fit between the lens mount and the body. I was wondering if third party lens like Sigma/Samyang would be a little resistant to dust and fog for example.

I know some of the Canon bodies are not listed as WR but they can take light rain easily.

Any thoughts ?
Star (*), AW and WR lens are weather sealed.
Star (*) is the best weather protection, than AW and then WR but all of them are very good.
On non-wr lenses you have two big unprotected holes: lens mount and space between inner and outer part of a zoom lens.
Lens mount is the same on every lens but you can increase your chances with other hole by avoiding some type of lenses in a very humid conditions.
First of all avoid push-pull zooms they are the worst.
Second avoid zooms in general.
If you need to use now-wr zooms in very humid conditions try to use internal zooms.
Non-wr primes are less flexible than zooms but usually have better protection in very humid condition.
I think that old manual focus primes from K,M,A series are better in humid conditions than newer F,FA,DA non-wr lenses.
Especially in a cold weather.

p.s. Sorry but you can't fight the sand without wr lenses

Last edited by banep; 05-12-2016 at 10:38 AM.
05-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Star (*), AW and WR lens are weather sealed.
Star (*) is the best weather protection, than AW and then WR but all of them are very good.
"*" is not a level of weather protection, there are only two levels, WR and AW. "*" is a line of lenses of high quality that all feature AW.
05-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
OK, I see. So I should only consider, WR, AW and (*) lenses. I'm not into zooms but I wouldn't like to get one of my prime messed up because of some fog.
05-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
"*" is not a level of weather protection, there are only two levels, WR and AW. "*" is a line of lenses of high quality that all feature AW.
How about A* and FA*?
When did the AW come to the *?
David
05-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
How about A* and FA*?
David
A* and FA* are old lines before the times of weather sealing. As far as I know the K10D (released 2006) was the first Pentax DSLR to be weather sealed.

So I should have specified - DA* and D FA* feature AW sealing, analogue era lines do not.

05-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
How about A* and FA*?
David
Starting with the DA* and D FA* lines. There were no weather sealed lenses during the film era.

To make things easy, here's a complete and current list of sealed Pentax lenses:
Weather Sealed Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

OK, I see. So I should only consider, WR, AW and (*) lenses. I'm not into zooms but I wouldn't like to get one of my prime messed up because of some fog.
Unfortunately unlike with the zooms, most Pentax primes are not weather sealed. The only ones I can think of are the DA* 55 f/1.4, D FA 100 f/2.8 Macro, DA* 200 f/2.8, DA* 300 f/2.8 and HD DA 560mm F5.6, most of which are kind of long speciality lenses. There are no primes below 55 mm that feature weather sealing.

I do assume that all of the primes on the roadmap will feature WR or AW.
05-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Well I don't think morning mist or fog are a big problem. It depends how you deal with it. For example, often a problem is going from cold outdoors into a warm house, especially in winter. The difference in temperature can cause condensation and damage a DSLR or fog up a lens. The way to deal with this is to put the gear into PVC bags and give them time to change temperature slowly - so you put it into a room that is only slightly heated, before putting it into your warm living room.
Light drizzle is also not a big problem, as long as you are careful and hide the gear as much as possible. You can keep camera under a coat or in a pvc bag, and only expose it to the drizzle for a couple seconds when taking a photo. The point of WR is exactly that you don't have to deal with this extra work.

I think the most affordable WR prime right now is the DFA 100mm macro (on sale right now if you are in the US, really great price, under $400!). Great lens in every way, I highly recommend it. Very fair price, too! The DA* 55mm is a little expensive for a 50mm prime, but it is a premium product, and some people really love it. Silent AF, lots of features, super sharp centre, nice character for portraiture.

There are no primes below 55 mm that feature weather sealing.
Yep, that's really too bad. I would love a good 24mm or 28mm with some advanced things like QS, WR. I think it would sell well, Pentaxians are starved for that focal length, especially on FF.
05-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

There are no primes below 55 mm that feature weather sealing.
True, there is no officially-badged AW/WR Pentax prime below 55mm. But let us remember that AW/WR is a relatively recent marketing ploy. Some old lenses are very, very sturdy and nearly (if not better) as good as modern WR lenses.

I speak here as someone who shoot regularly in harsh environment, sandy/dusty winds and wet weather (incl. tropical and sub-tropical storms). Partly because this is my job. For more than 8 years now, I have used very successfully my K-7 and K-3 with older solid lenses, the like of DA18-250mm, VL58mm f1.4, DA15mm Ltd, FA50mm f1.7.... None are listed as WR, but they all did a great job with good common sense and TLC (tender love and care). From my experience, small metallic, sturdy prime lenses can work nicely in bad weather. Zoom lenses are more tricky and need to be wiped everytime before retracting the zoom. I do this with both DA18-250mm and DA18-135mm. One is non-WR and the other is WR, But, in a tropical storm, it does not matter if a lens is WR or not. You need to take care of your gears.

Remember that AW/WR does not mean water resistant/waterproof. It simply means that the lens/camera system is better protected from the elements than non-WR systems.
05-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Thank you Na Horuk and Adam about the FA*. (About those new primes, any juicy news yet? DFA*?)
As far as for the DA 21 and plastic fantastic go, I take them with me in the tractor, pick-up, silos... loads of dusts and grimme. Especially in the tractor cab. Small dust that passes the air filters. The lenses are still in good shape. I do however clean everything regularly and ALWAYS before dismounting a lens.
I would however have loved a DA* 30 instead of the DA35 for AW, quickshift and speed. (lets not dwell on that dark Hoya time).
To sum up: if youre careful, they can take some.
David
05-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
But, in a tropical storm, it does not matter if a lens is WR or not.
Yes, it does. One has seals, the other has not. The sealing is no guarantee for protection, and it can be overwhelmed by large amounts of water under high pressure, or by zooming and thus sucking water in. But it certainly does afford an extra level of protection, be that in a drizzle or a rain storm.