Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just for the K1:

Larger memory cards
Replace all my DA wide angle lenses with FF equivalent (DA 21 -> FA 20; DA 15-> Samyang 14)
New L Bracket (just received the email from RRS - fingers crossed that it arrives before Memorial Day).

Bunch of other stuff for the upcoming trip.....

05-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
My LR and comp is extremely slow after I did stupid thing upgrading LR to newest version, and started downloading in DNG.
Oh, and I installed Elements 14. Perhaps I need some good spring cleaning in my comp.
Lana - I'm running LR6 with latest updates and Photoshop Elements 14 with latest ACR, and don't notice any processing speed issues with DNG... DNG will always be slower than JPG due to the file sizes, but I assume you're aware of that?
05-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
DNG will always be slower than JPG due to the file sizes, but I assume you're aware of that?
Yep, I'm, plus I don't shot in jpg, only in row.
Perhaps, I do need some good check on my comp memory.
05-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If I recall correctly... and I am hazy on this, so might not be 100% on it... the concern was that DNG files don't necessarily contain everything that the manufacturer's proprietary RAW format does, or that DNG-optimised software won't necessarily read all manufacturer-specific metadata. That said, this may have been a concern based on cameras that don't offer DNG as a native format, or software that is capable of reading all the metadata...
Doffs software engineering hat....

Pretty much all image file formats from tiff onwards work using a chunking scheme.

... This is my image header (width height etc)
... This is my pixel data
... These were the white balance settings
Etc, etc

All of these file formats can be customised by adding your own chunks, so I can extend an image file with my own 'rob is totally awesome' chunk. Pentax are free to do that as well.

So I would hazard a guess, that the DNG's and PEF's written out by the camera will contain identical data. BUT! There will be data in the DNG that may be contained within Pentax specific chunks. Now usually with a file format, it will specify a minimum support requirement that allows you to say 'my app supports tiff' or 'my app supports DNG'. This minimums support requirement will not include the custom Pentax/Nikon/Canon chunks. Now it is very likely that Adobe will make use of those data chunks *eventually*, but there may be a development lag - I.e you might open a K-1 DNG in LR3, but it might be ignoring some interesting settings that have been added in the last couple of years.

However, if your application supports PEF, then it is much more likely that the application will be able to utilise those additional chunks within its image processing.

Consider this: the DNG files from my K-1 are averaging 45mb. Once imported into LR5, they are averaging ~33mb. Now that could be due to LR5 using some compression scheme on the raw image data, however it could also imply that the conversion is losing some data in that conversion.

Tl;dr: you're both likely to be correct. PEF and DNG are likely to contain the same data, but if an app supports PEF, you may find that it is able to provide a few additional Pentax specific processing utilities not available in apps that support DNG only. YMMV. To be honest I just DNG, because support is more universal.

05-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I'm, plus I don't shot in jpg, only in row.
Perhaps, I do need some good check on my comp memory.
Possibly I run an i7 with 12MB and a good (but two-year-old) graphics card, so I'd expect fairly good (if not exactly optimal) performance...
05-12-2016, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, new toy is great, but now it will cost more than a camera only.
I need:
- LR6 because LR5 does not support new PEF format;
- new flash because the third party Bolt now works in manual mode only;
- probably cactus V6 because I don't have internal flash as a master;
- high speed really good memory cards, must have - period.

That's my list so far. What's yours?
LR5 opens the DNG files just fine.
None of my equipment is TTL. My Einsteins and Cybersync work just fine with the K-1.
Do many people actually use the pop-up flash? Most people I know are using Pocket Wizards and off camera flash.
The K-1 doesn't have that fast of a write speed. These are still UHS-1 cards and faster cards don't seem to make any difference in write speed.

I didn't have to buy anything. All my gear works just fine with the K-1. I
05-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Do many people actually use the pop-up flash?
I used to on the k-3 very occasionally, but now I have a usable ISO 16,000, I can't see myself needing it as often
05-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The three D-FA zooms. A new WotanCraft DSLR bag. Gym passes to develop your muscles to carry all that. The therapy to assuage guilt.

A+
Nice stuff.

05-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Do many people actually use the pop-up flash?
K-1 is my first camera without one. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm glad it's there. It will be missed.

05-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
K-1 is my first camera without one. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm glad it's there. It will be missed.
Same here.
05-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #41
Site Supporter

What do you need to spend money for with K-1?

Nothing, because I can not afford the K1. Heck, if my K7 pukes and dies, I can't even replace it.
05-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #42
Pentaxian

- LR6 because LR5 does not support new PEF format;
Consider a sideways upgrade to Capture One 9 PRO instead.
There is no K-1 PEF support yet, but it can read the K-1 DNG files.
I'm a lot happier with C1 than I was with LR.

- probably cactus V6 because I don't have internal flash as a master;
You may want to wait a bit for the Mk II version.
It has already been announced and will support HSS natively (the V6 can support HSS photography as well, but not without using workarounds).
05-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #43

One thing I don't see on these lists are extra batteries. I went through two batteries today testing pixel shift with a fair amount of LV use.
05-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #44
Pentaxian

you think those things are expensive? I have been stripping down a new Nikon F mount Carl Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus to fit it with a K-mount* for use on the K-1.

* that is going to be the easy part, the real reason for the extensive disassembly is the need adjust the focus on it to account for the focus flange differential.
05-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atcoombs Quote
One thing I don't see on these lists are extra batteries. I went through two batteries today testing pixel shift with a fair amount of LV use.
I have 3 of them: one for K-1, one for K-5iis, and a third party one.

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Consider a sideways upgrade to Capture One 9 PRO instead.
There is no K-1 PEF support yet, but it can read the K-1 DNG files.
I'm a lot happier with C1 than I was with LR.

You may want to wait a bit for the Mk II version.
It has already been announced and will support HSS natively (the V6 can support HSS photography as well, but not without using workarounds).
I'm not familiar with C1 yet, gonna take a look.
Thanks for tips on MkII, I definitely prefer to wait.