Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do I need: Faster and larger SD cards.

What do I want----Oh, Boy.

The 43mm limited
A better Computer.
New FF lenses -- Yes, LBA has returned

05-12-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The therapy to assuage guilt.
Ah, no worries on that one - we provide that free-of-charge here at PentaxForums
05-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Laptop. But K-1 just makes it official.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice
Choking on the files - I can only do jpeg's.
05-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

My neck asked for a better strap. I've seen Peak Design ones, any other working well for folks?

A+

05-12-2016, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Ok, new toy is great, but now it will cost more than a camera only.
I need:
- LR6 because LR5 does not support new PEF format;
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Shoot DNG
Yup. DNG is universal and will always be supported by ACR, even if you don't have the latest camera profiles.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Choking on the files - I can only do jpeg's.
He he Well, my file size monsters are the merely the K-3, K-3II and my 24Mp Hasselblad HV - all three roughly the same, and nothing like as hungry as the K-1. A couple of years ago I bought the HP Envy 17" i7 with 12MB RAM, 1TB HDD and NVidia GeForce GT740M graphics. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I could foresee the need for processing power soon. The performance of the PC is just fine with all of my current photography requirements - Lightroom and my other PP software runs very well indeed - though the 1TB drive turned out to be an under-estimation on my behalf I really need to upgrade to a 2TB internal, and some sort of external storage platform (I have a fast 1TB backup drive that I use very regularly, but I need external primary storage now!)...
05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup. DNG is universal and will always be supported by ACR, even if you don't have the latest camera profiles.
I'm sure I read somewhere a good reason for shooting PEF rather than DNG... however, DNG's what I shoot

05-12-2016, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RRS tripod. My existing tripod is decent enough but now every little vibration will be more noticeable! OMG I've become one of those pixel peeping ... !

oh, and more FF lenses of course!

and the one thing I can't buy... more time!
05-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
My existing tripod is decent enough but now every little vibration will be more noticeable!
I'm being dumb, I'm sure, but why would FF show up more problems with vibration than APS-C? Or have I misunderstood (which is entirely possible!! )...
05-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sure I read somewhere a good reason for shooting PEF rather than DNG... however, DNG's what I shoot
I can't think of one off the top of my head. The two formats contain the same data.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depreciation on my old APSC kit (that's currently on eBay), is the biggest cost I'm going to face.

I've been purchasing my full frame lens kit over the past year or two, so the actual cost for me was pretty much just the body. When Pentax release the new DFA ultra wide prime (which probably won't be seen until the end of 2017) will be my next outlay. Oh, I have just purchased a pair of 128gb Sandisk extreme pro's, so I guess that counts!
05-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't think of one off the top of my head. The two formats contain the same data.
If I recall correctly... and I am hazy on this, so might not be 100% on it... the concern was that DNG files don't necessarily contain everything that the manufacturer's proprietary RAW format does, or that DNG-optimised software won't necessarily read all manufacturer-specific metadata. That said, this may have been a concern based on cameras that don't offer DNG as a native format, or software that is capable of reading all the metadata...
05-12-2016, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think you're right, generally-speaking, however Pentax cameras do save everything to their DNG files.

Adam

05-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I'm being dumb, I'm sure, but why would FF show up more problems with vibration than APS-C? Or have I misunderstood (which is entirely possible!! )...
It was really more a statement about my expectations. Now I will expect technical perfection in every picture. Which is stupid. But I know it's gonna happen There is some truth to my statement though because I expect to shoot more PS shots and even with motion correction, vibration from tripod is still going to cause problems there.
05-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My LR and comp is extremely slow after I did stupid thing upgrading LR to newest version, and started downloading in DNG.
Oh, and I installed Elements 14. Perhaps I need some good spring cleaning in my comp.