Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #46

I'm really surprised folks are considering spending money on SD cards as a separate line item. A few years ago, I came up with the following backup strategy: SD card is write-once, then read-only. I buy 16 GB cards for $10 each, quickly ingest them, and store away. With the megapixel count growing, the 16 GB card now fills up in a day, creating a nice unit of quick import and backup. Fuji X-Pro2, at 24MP, can store ~440 compressed RAW+JPEGs on one, K-2II about 224 DNG+JPEGs, and K-1 only 158 DNG+JPGs. Basically I never reuse them and consider them supplies, equal to a Starbucks latte a day. They never block me on a K-1 either (Class 10 Transcends or PNYs are fine at 60-90 mbps).

A+

---------- Post added 05-13-2016 at 06:30 PM ----------

Anyone still pondering why DNG must read Peter Krogh's The DAM Book (thedambook.com). He taught me Adobe Lightroom 1 Beta and I've been using DNG ever since. The K10D just came out then and he was puzzled, since hhis workflow started with RAW=>DNG conversion. I'm still doing it since the preview is not full-size out of camera and also I need for the DNG to be properly checksummed and verifiable.

A+

05-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you think those things are expensive? I have been stripping down a new Nikon F mount Carl Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus to fit it with a K-mount* for use on the K-1.

* that is going to be the easy part, the real reason for the extensive disassembly is the need adjust the focus on it to account for the focus flange differential.
Please post pictures of the FrankenLens when you give him live...

05-14-2016, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Current cost has been just for the camera. I still use Lightroom 5 with DNG files. The only thing I ever knew was that in the beginning (maybe in the K10 days?), Pentax hadn't licensed a compressed version of DNG and so the files came out fifty percent bigger than equivalent PEF files. Be that as it may, they look the same and seem to work fine on my computer. SD Cards are a periodic expense anyway. They just don't last forever and are relatively cheap.

I had purchased the DFA 24-70 last year and probably would have gotten anyway, even if not upgrading to a K-1. I don't shoot flash much and there is even less cause to do so since the high iso capability is so good on the K-1. I do own (well, my wife owns) three 540 flashes and Cactus triggers, so covered there.

Only thing I'm really wanting is a wide angle prime, but I'm sort of waiting to see what Pentax releases. I know the 15-30 would probably cover all the bases, it just feels really large and I am more wanting a DA 15 equivalent for full frame.
05-14-2016, 04:06 AM   #49

A Sigma 12-24 lens. For reasons I've not yet begin to understand, the market (at least here in Germany, if not in central europe) has been wiped clean of these lenses.

05-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atcoombs Quote
One thing I don't see on these lists are extra batteries. I went through two batteries today testing pixel shift with a fair amount of LV use.
That's on my list. I only have the one it came with.
Also on the list is:
Memory cards
Wider angle lens. Preferably a zoom. Currently I have Da 35 and Tamron 70-200 that I can use. (Also have da 50 that I'm hearing it's usable, but haven't tried it out personally.)
05-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup. DNG is universal and will always be supported by ACR, even if you don't have the latest camera profiles.
If a person prefers to use PEF, they may still have DNG to edit until PEF are supported.. I think... isn't there a utility to convert PEF to DNG ? If so, this could be used for some images until PEF are supported.
05-14-2016, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #52
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
If a person prefers to use PEF, they may still have DNG to edit until PEF are supported.. I think... isn't there a utility to convert PEF to DNG ? If so, this could be used for some images until PEF are supported.
Yes, the supplied Pentax software (digital camera utility) can mass-convert PEFs to DNGs.

I still don't see a reason not to use DNG in-camera, that said And Pentax must partially agree, since a handful of cameras (like the K-50 for example) only support DNG.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #53
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, the supplied Pentax software (digital camera utility) can mass-convert PEFs to DNGs.

I still don't see a reason not to use DNG in-camera, that said And Pentax must partially agree, since a handful of cameras (like the K-50 for example) only support DNG.
I agree here. I see absolutely no advantage of PEF over DNG.
05-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Please post pictures of the FrankenLens when you give him live...
I will, however the teardown is taking awhile the Otus...to put it bluntly is an over-engineered lens, and there is a lot of screws, most of which are screwed down tight with additional loctite to add to the annoyance of disassembly.
05-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
My neck asked for a better strap. I've seen Peak Design ones, any other working well for folks?

A+
My K-1 hasn't arrived yet, but I've been using the long length version of Lucky Camera Straps - Standard 53 - Classic Brown/Tan | Lucky Camera Straps with my K-5 and DA* 50-135 with no neck issues. I sling it over the shoulder and across the body. The extra width distributes the load nicely.

Regards,
Richard.
05-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #56

Photos: Albums
d fa 15-30
d fa 24-70
d fa 70-200
Sturdier Tripod
2x 128 GB cards
D-BG 6

That's all
05-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the K1, I currently have:
FA Limiteds 31, 43 & 77
K50/1.4
Chinon 50/1,4
Sears 135/2.8 macro
CPC Phase 2 75-200/4 macro
Sigma 70-200/2.8

What I really need are bigger sized memory cards.
05-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If I recall correctly... and I am hazy on this, so might not be 100% on it... the concern was that DNG files don't necessarily contain everything that the manufacturer's proprietary RAW format does, or that DNG-optimised software won't necessarily read all manufacturer-specific metadata. That said, this may have been a concern based on cameras that don't offer DNG as a native format, or software that is capable of reading all the metadata...
All that the curves do is allow you to produce JPEG files that look just like the JPEG files produced by the camera. So who cares about that? DNG has everything necessary to produce output files which look better than the in camera JPEG files. That is the only reason to use raw in the first place. All that proprietary file format buzz is fanboi stuff coming from Nikon "our ones and zeroes are better than your ones and zeroes" clueless beliefs.
05-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #59

A Pentax F5P flash cable and a hotshoe adapter FG for off camera flash. No built-in flash means the camera can't be used as a control flash.
05-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hectorse Quote
d fa 15-30
d fa 24-70
d fa 70-200
Sturdier Tripod
2x 128 GB cards
D-BG 6

That's all
"all"