Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Phottix, Nissin, Elinchrom and Ricoh Are You Listing?

The new Pentax K-1 is a great camera with outstanding image quality, but I am still wanting more. I want an off camera high speed sync (HSS) radio system for speed lights to use with the K-1. Yes I know about the about the studio light system from Preolite, but it just to bulky and expensive...in my opinion we need something more portable like the Odin from Phottix, Air 1 from Nissin, Elinchrom EL Transmitter Plus HSS for Nikon and Canon. Maybe an in house design from Ricoh. Phottix, Nissin, Elinchrom or Ricoh are you listing?

05-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I think they dont, but Cactus yes, the new cactus V6mkII, its supposed to bring native HSS. I can work with that.
05-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They were definitely not listening. Maybe if the K-1 sells well, this will be the next priority. It definitely should be - lights are very important to pro photography. And other pro services, like fast repairs, rentals,..
05-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

I think that the biggest disadvantage of K-3II and K-1 is a missing of Ricoh external p-ttl/hss radio trigger.
Using manual flash triggers is ok for a studio shots, but hss trigger is a must for outdoor shooting.

05-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Agree! This is a must. If was neglected so long up know, with K1 onwards this should be a standard offer. I am suffering because of very slow development of the flash system.
Manual, yes, works. HSS it's stone age. Multiple flash control from camera.....
05-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
?

I use the Acon R930 trigger. Wireless, P-TTL, HSS, inexpensive.

Just buy one. I think you'll get cobwebs petitioning and waiting for the bigger companies - there just aren't enough Pentax owners to justify their effort.

05-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I use the Acon R930 trigger. Wireless, P-TTL, HSS, inexpensive.

Just buy one. I think you'll get cobwebs petitioning and waiting for the bigger companies - there just aren't enough Pentax owners to justify their effort.
Thanks for the info on the Acon R930...
05-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The chance is High that Ricoh will develop a trigger system compatible with P-TTL*, With flash units matched to it preferably with built in 2.4Ghz Radio control.

*Or better yet ditch the P-TTL protocol and come up with something with a similar ease of use and functionality to Nikon CLS.

05-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Thanks for the info on the Acon R930...
Ditto.
05-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Both the Phottix Odin and Nissin Air 1 work much better than the Nikon CLS because they are radio systems vs the line of sight system employed be Nikon. I have use all three.
05-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

And there looks to be a very affordable Godox X1 TTL transmitter clone from Adorama coming soon:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/319624...er-pentax.html
05-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And there looks to be a very affordable Godox X1 TTL transmitter clone
..which doesn't support P-TTL. I have the Nikon and Canon specific versions of this transmitter for use with my Godox AD180 and AD360 flash units.
05-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
..which doesn't support P-TTL.
Yet.

As I was under the clear impression that the Nikon version supported i-TTL if you had a flash that also talked i-TTL:
QuoteQuote:
'Fully supporting TTL Functions:
Support for i-TTL autoflash, 1/8000/s HSS ...
Flash Modes – iTTL / M / OFF
GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD X1N TTL Wireless Flash Trigger

ditto for the Canon version (E-TTL).

It seems logical (to me) that if they were developing a Pentax version in partnership with Flashpoint/Adorama, P-TTL would be on the menu for it.

Godox certainly seem capable of reverse engineering Canon and Nikon's TTL flash schemes, so P-TTL should be a piece of cake.
05-14-2016, 03:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Godox certainly seem capable of reverse engineering Canon and Nikon's TTL flash schemes, so P-TTL should be a piece of cake.
Have fun waiting for that, almost a year ago I did have a discussion with an Elinchrom Rep about the possibility of having a trigger with user configurable firmware so that Elinca triggers could be used with users of multiple camera systems with full support of TTL flash AE without having to buy separate dedicated transmitters/receivers - the biggest difficulty with that sort of thing is the physical interface, not just the communication protocols.